Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD360 Pro = PX360?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD360 Pro = PX360? - Page 2

post #16 of 89

Ha ha ha!

"Limited edition leftover"?  Nice if true.


Edited by Mad Max - 5/8/13 at 9:28pm
post #17 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgiudici View Post

Hello my name is adam i work at sennheiser and am one of the architect/engineers that built the origional PX 360 headphones. I can confirm that the HD 360 profesional headphones are different. In fact the only similarity between the two is the outer casing. The reason the case is the same is from an over stock. We had them sitting around so i started to tink with the headphones i was able to take the speakers from a pair of 380 pros and modify them to fit inside of a pair of px 360s because i like the mobility and coftortability of them. But at the same time i wanted to get more out of the px 360s so essentially the hd 360 pros are the casing of a px 360 but the sound of a 380 pro. You will not find these headphones on the sennheiser website as they were never meant to become largely produced. Whats really funny is when i see reviews online like on best buys website that say that these headphones are a far cry from the 380s. They are virtually the same product at a cheaper price. I will check back to this thread in a week and untill then i encourage you to post any questions you have. Todays date is 5/8/13. I also encourage you to purchase a pair of these while they're still in stock

I saw them today at BB. Now you got me interested because I was already eyeing the HD380, but they are rather big. I may just pick up the HD360 now.

Any other info you can share about it? I am going to show the HD360 to my 12K+ fans on my YouTube channel. Check it out. I'm at HiFiGuy528
Reply
post #18 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgiudici View Post

Hello my name is adam i work at sennheiser and am one of the architect/engineers that built the origional PX 360 headphones. I can confirm that the HD 360 profesional headphones are different. In fact the only similarity between the two is the outer casing. The reason the case is the same is from an over stock. We had them sitting around so i started to tink with the headphones i was able to take the speakers from a pair of 380 pros and modify them to fit inside of a pair of px 360s because i like the mobility and coftortability of them. But at the same time i wanted to get more out of the px 360s so essentially the hd 360 pros are the casing of a px 360 but the sound of a 380 pro. You will not find these headphones on the sennheiser website as they were never meant to become largely produced. Whats really funny is when i see reviews online like on best buys website that say that these headphones are a far cry from the 380s. They are virtually the same product at a cheaper price. I will check back to this thread in a week and untill then i encourage you to post any questions you have. Todays date is 5/8/13. I also encourage you to purchase a pair of these while they're still in stock

I call BS on this.  I read this and tried out the HD360pro at Best Buy and they are nothing like the HD380 pro.  The drivers physically look different if you look at them in the light.  Also, the frequency response is completely different from the 380's.  I am not am expert in this, but I would like some credentials to back up this claim.  I can say that I originally designed the Internet and you would never know the truth.  Oh wait, I guess Al Gore did that.....lol.

post #19 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Hoag View Post

I call BS on this.  I read this and tried out the HD360pro at Best Buy and they are nothing like the HD380 pro.  The drivers physically look different if you look at them in the light.  Also, the frequency response is completely different from the 380's.  I am not am expert in this, but I would like some credentials to back up this claim.  I can say that I originally designed the Internet and you would never know the truth.  Oh wait, I guess Al Gore did that.....lol.

 

Same thing I was thinking later, but because they differ on impedance.  Frequency response is shaped by a long list of factors including the cups, distance from your ears, materials involved in the construction of the housing, and whatever else.  Impedance should remain the same if the drivers elements are the same.  HD380 is 54 ohms, HD360 is 32.  Cable detachment doesn't make any significant difference here, so they're definitely not using the same drivers.

post #20 of 89

I guess the impedance was not the kicker for me as I know that many models offer multiple versions with different impedance.  Since I had just started looking at more expensive headphones, I really didn't look at anything more than just frequency response.  What I noticed was that they sounded nothing alike to me.  The floor model was broken at my store, so I had them open up a new pair to demo and I knew that all of my test subjects took quite a while to burn in, so I had no base to truly compare them.  I turned them to see if I could see the driver and I could easily see so much difference that I immediately put them back and said no way are they the same.

 

I should have given them more of a chance.  I guess the difference I found made me question the product completely.  So, I bought some Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohms for a closeout price of $150 (HD360pros were $130) and I have never been happier with a product.  I even bought an amp, and a new sound card in my PC to drive them.

post #21 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Hoag View Post

I guess the impedance was not the kicker for me as I know that many models offer multiple versions with different impedance.  Since I had just started looking at more expensive headphones, I really didn't look at anything more than just frequency response.  What I noticed was that they sounded nothing alike to me.  The floor model was broken at my store, so I had them open up a new pair to demo and I knew that all of my test subjects took quite a while to burn in, so I had no base to truly compare them.  I turned them to see if I could see the driver and I could easily see so much difference that I immediately put them back and said no way are they the same.

 

I should have given them more of a chance.  I guess the difference I found made me question the product completely.  So, I bought some Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohms for a closeout price of $150 (HD360pros were $130) and I have never been happier with a product.  I even bought an amp, and a new sound card in my PC to drive them.

 

You'll love Beyerdynamic's T50p on the go.  evil_smiley.gif

post #22 of 89
Enjoying the silence from our friend Adamgiuici. smily_headphones1.gif
Reply
post #23 of 89

I bet he's busy engineering his next project....HD380pro drivers in px 100-III super pros or something.gs1000.gif

post #24 of 89

i was busy with my next project just not that

post #25 of 89

So, why are there so many differences between the 360 and 380 if you were able to put the same drivers in?  Impedence, physical difference, etc.  

post #26 of 89

Well, I got a 360 refurb.

Build quality seems okay, very comfortable earpads, and my ears are barely small enough to fit completely within the pads, making it circumaural for me, but someone with bigger ears may find them to be supraaural instead.

Isolation is slightly more than HD380 with a proper seal.  HD360 also has angled drivers.

 

At first listen, its bass and mids remind me of HD280, but cleaner, more upfront, and no midbass dip.  The sound is pretty balanced overall.  Mids are quite smooth and a little creamy and don't favor male or female vocals over the other.  Very, very nice.

I cannot get the best seal with the cups for best sound with my glasses on, however, not that that is unusual.

I'll keep listening later.

 

Edit: the simple case/bag that it comes with resembles a cosmetics bag.  I almost died laughing when the thought crossed my mind earlier.

 

Edit2:

 

 

 

 

 

HD360Pro feels like it can take some punishment, and the bag is padded a bit to boot.  Unfortunately, the cable seems rather flimsy, it'll probably ruin after a snag or two, forcing you to send it in for repair or recable it yourself.  I wanted to take a quick peek inside the cups, but it doesn't immediately seem to have screws on the baffle face.  Glued?  I'll figure it out later.

It should have at least gotten 3.5mm detachment, I think.

 

Actually, this headphone is pretty close to HD380 in sound, although "miniaturized" like HD25, M80, and other compact supraaurals.  In fact, it's FR is one of the most balanced I've heard yet along certain stretches of its FR, but it rolls off above 17kHz like HD25 and starts rolling off in the bass a little before 20Hz but still reaches 20Hz audibly, if barely.  I think that there's two or three bumps in the treble, but they are so small on this HD360 that I'm unsure if I am really hearing them.  Mild treble boost from 10k to 14k Hz and a slight bump between 2.2k and 2.6k Hz plus extra mids between 4k to 5k Hz. Switching back to HD380 makes HD380 sound unnatural to a degree with its less balanced FR (not a big difference), but switching to HD360 requires that I get used to having a little less bass and treble overall.  The bass isn't anemic or "light" to me, it has the mildly aggressive and punchy nature of HD380, but with a pinch less impact and fortitude.

Transparency isn't on par with what SRH840 and M50 are capable of.

No treble harshness, more clarity and sparkle than HD25, but less than HD380.

 

This is really a portable rather than a full-sized phone.  It would be interesting to have someone compare HP100 with HD360Pro, supposedly the HP100 has a very linear FR, but sounds sterile.  HD360Pro does not sound sterile.  I somewhat dislike the way that the headband sticks out to the sides like HD280, HD380, SRH840, and others like those, otherwise I think that it looks cool.  The roundness gives it a cuteness trait, otherwise it would project an impression of "serious, humorless business" as much as HD25.

Nice job, Sennheiser.  For the price of an HD280 or HD25-SP, I'll gladly take this one over HD280 any day unless I wanted HD280's very high passive isolation or HD25-SP's bassiness, isolation, and IEM-like speed and sensitivity.

 

Edit3: took a peak inside

 

Four screws hold the baffle in place.  One of them is under a piece of tape.  The baffle filter/screen almost snaps into place and is additionally held there with two small strips of double-sided adhesive.

Quite a unique baffle design to me here.  There's a cup structure with three notches close to the center.

 

The interior is similar to HD4x9/4x8, HD380, and HD280 in that the main chamber is small and almost fully sealed and separated from the rest of the cup.  There are two tubes close to each other and off to one side and one of them is covered by cotton (not visible here).  Most likely bass ports, so uncovering the covered one will give bass boost.  I didn't bother as I didn't feel like experimenting just yet.  The white square blocks a smaller hole.  Recabling with Mogami 2893 will be a piece of cake, but there's not enough room for a 3.5mm female jack for 3.5mm detachment modification.  Not without screwing up the main driver chamber with a dremel or solder iron, I think.

 

The main chamber gets the dampening material, some white fabric disk with three notches.  No room for dynamat xtreme in there, I like to add the stuff to the back of the magnet on drivers.


Edited by Mad Max - 9/4/13 at 9:06pm
post #27 of 89
Have you guys seen any other thread or link from other sites that talk about what these are? Any measurements, etc...
post #28 of 89

So, is it the same driver as the 380?  Have you taken apart one of those before?  I see they are like $80 at my store now, was thinking about trying them out for giggles.

 

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and do all that work.  

post #29 of 89
Try them out and let us know if they are any good
post #30 of 89

HD380's drivers appear to be 40mm (I'm not sure how to open up the inner/primary chamber).  HD360's are ~32mm.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD360 Pro = PX360?