New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What beats Sony MDR-1R? - Page 7

post #91 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

And just how is $300 astronomical? $300 is about the price point where the "great" headphones start.

 

You buy a headphone tuned to your tastes, you don't EQ something to compensate for that. You buy a different headphone. If you feel like you have to EQ something to make it sound good, you don't like the headphone. Look into other cans.

post #92 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

lol... all of the above statements seem to be more related to personal preferences. for example the founder of head-fi jude says that the mdr-1r are incredible headphones for the price.

I'll tell you two things :

1)When you start with a positive/negative impression on a pair of headphones and are surprised in the opposite way you thought it would be, you can start calling it an objective preference, not a subjective preference.

2)When you test an headphone by COMPARING it to a whole bunch of cans, you definitely can't be subjective, you need to appreciate and estimate all of them. I didn't have something to EQ them as it might need, but since I did confront it with a direct opponent in the same tier, I was objective in my feedback.

3)Who are you to discredit other people's feedbacks by quoting Jude? He might be founder of Head-Fi but he still remains a human, listener or recorder, amateur of professional, the only thing he has will be experience... He will be able to write his impressions (because it is what he does, just like us here, a bit subjective isn't it? I'd prefer to call lt an objective preference if he tries it for itself, not for a sound he seeks. that / what I've done).
Yet when you start getting into higher gears I wonder if you really can appreciate at its fullest lower level gear. On the contrary, climbing up from basic stuff gets you a clear and fresh view.

I did have a positive impression before listening to the MDR-1R, or even putting it around my ears. Once again I did not EQ it or amp it properly and I'd be glad to do so, but willl you say that comparing it to the Fidelio (wanna check Headfonia if I'm not trusted) in the same conditions is biased or really subjective?

Fidelio is a better value for money, that's all. That's what the thread starter was asking. I couldn't test the Momentum exposed (time was up, had to go back to activities), if I did and if it had performed better than both, I would be defending this one right now.

For the moment my testing points are High, mids, bass, soundstage, accuracy, instrumental separation, forward/laid back sound and isolation. Technical measures isn't a real point for me, since the brain have a strong power of persuasion. I prefer to discover each performances with my ears, then see what is up with the technicalities : it would then explain why I felt how highs or mids could climb high or dive deep, for example. Maybe I wasn't explicit, I'm not used to write headphones reviews. It might come though.

EDIT : Ah, I told you more than two things cool.gif
Edited by Vanarian - 3/16/13 at 5:41am
post #93 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

I do believe in burn in, but I believe that it mainly effects the bass. Around 87.5% of the process is about bass improvement IMO. This was definitely the case for both the AKG K167 and DT770s, which sounded almost anemic out of the box.

Just initial impressions which to me mean almost nothing.

I just want to second that on the K167.  The bass developed nicely-- not boomy, but tight and fast.  Did not sound that way out of the box.  Can't comment on the 770.

post #94 of 145

@Vanarian,

 

lol i am not trying to start a fight. your opinion is just as valid as judes. I wasn't even directly responding to you, but just pointing that everyone who states "X" headphone is better than "Y" headphone is basing it off personal preference. Your opinion that the Fidelio is a better value for the money is one perspective. Another perspective is Jude saying in his gift guide that includes both the Fidelios & the MDR-1R that he personally thought "as far as sub-$500 closed headphones go today, I can't think of another I'd pick over the MDR-1R for long-term sit-down listening sessions, across a wide variance in recording quality, and a wide variety of musical genres." referenced from this article: http://www.head-fi.org/a/2012-head-fi-holiday-gift-guide-over-ear

 

Both of those statements are personal opinions/perspectives, so I was pointing out that it would depend on OP's personal preference which one he would like more.

 

Now if you want to talk about value for money, the Fidelio L1s have been $230 on Amazon for some time now. The MDR-1R just fell down to $225 on Amazon yesterday. You can probably find both even cheaper elsewhere, so pricing are equally competitive.

 

I personally found the MDR-1Rs to be a great value for their price. However, I am sure that the Fidelios are also great headphones too lol. I just think that you can't really say that one is definitely universally better than the other.


Edited by money4me247 - 3/16/13 at 6:11am
post #95 of 145
There I agree with you then smily_headphones1.gif It's true that each one will feel and hear headphones differently.
post #96 of 145

Compared to the 1R, the L1 is unnatural, muddy, has a small soundstage, and is very dark. I mean dark to the point of there is nothing to mention of in the highs. Now the 1R isn't trying to be serious in any sort of way either, but at least it's fun and the quality of the sound that does come out of it is high. Other than some quick low frequencies and decent build quality, there's really nothing notable of the L1. The overwhelming impression I get from the L1 is it's simply not fun. If a can isn't going to be serious and isn't going to be fun, then it really has no place for me. I feel safe saying the 1R, in my subjective and honest opinion, is just a better can all around than the L1.

 

And yes, all of this feedback is subjective, as is anyone else's here.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanarian View Post

There I agree with you then smily_headphones1.gif It's true that each one will feel and hear headphones differently.
 

Which is exactly why it's considered subjective.


Edited by roguegeek - 3/16/13 at 11:18am
post #97 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

I personally found the MDR-1Rs to be a great value for their price. However, I am sure that the Fidelios are also great headphones too lol. I just think that you can't really say that one is definitely universally better than the other.

 

You can if you've heard them. You can say whatever you want.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Compared to the 1R, the L1 is unnatural, muddy, has a small soundstage, and is very dark. I mean dark to the point of there is nothing to mention of in the highs.

 

Not my L1. But then, I actually appreciate the lack of distortion and glare.

post #98 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

You can if you've heard them. You can say whatever you want.

I would really appreciate it if you stopped replying to my posts with comments that aren't contributing to the conversation. Thank you.

post #99 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

You can if you've heard them. You can say whatever you want.

I would really appreciate it if you stopped replying to my posts with comments that aren't contributing to the conversation. Thank you.

I'd say he's contributing. The MDR-1R can't hold a candle to the Fidelio L1 in his opinion.

 

Doesn't mean he has to be a dick about it, though. 

post #100 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Compared to the 1R, the L1 is unnatural, muddy, has a small soundstage, and is very dark. I mean dark to the point of there is nothing to mention of in the highs. Now the 1R isn't trying to be serious in any sort of way either, but at least it's fun and the quality of the sound that does come out of it is high. Other than some quick low frequencies and decent build quality, there's really nothing notable of the L1. The overwhelming impression I get from the L1 is it's simply not fun. If a can isn't going to be serious and isn't going to be fun, then it really has no place for me. I feel safe saying the 1R, in my subjective and honest opinion, is just a better can all around than the L1.

 

And yes, all of this feedback is subjective, as is anyone else's here.

 

 

 

Which is exactly why it's considered subjective.


Haha, I know right.  Was reading through his comments waiting for the part where he explains why his and the others' conclusions were founded on objectivity and not tainted by any subjectivity... only to get to the end and realize that he has no idea what he's talking about.

post #101 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

I would really appreciate it if you stopped replying to my posts with comments that aren't contributing to the conversation. Thank you.

 

And I would appreciate you not commenting or making assumptions on headphones you have not heard. Thank you.

 

Oh, and it would be nice if you filled out your profile so the members can see what headphones and other gear you own. It helps to know who has what and who we can ask when we wish to know more about a particular headphone.


Edited by Beagle - 3/17/13 at 6:09am
post #102 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkyballz View Post


Haha, I know right.  Was reading through his comments waiting for the part where he explains why his and the others' conclusions were founded on objectivity and not tainted by any subjectivity... only to get to the end and realize that he has no idea what he's talking about.

Guy you have subjective preference and objective preference. When you get to the basic each people talking is subjective, but can aim to be objective. Though we are not in a philosophy debate, it's not the thread.

I know what I'm talking about, study a bit of French penal system and you'll understand why I said I was talking about objective preference. I did base my impressions on facts, not on personal biased opinions or technicalities in my mind or any fanboy stuff. Subjective preference is saying "Ah, nothing can beat this", or "this is pile of ****" when you hear anything else which is better, yet you don't recognize it. Or you try only one set and go ahead and say it is the best. What did you base your opinion on, then? That is subjective preference.

Objective preference is when you go and compare. You don't seek a peculiar sound, you just listen to hear which one performs the best in which area. You'll prefer one over others, or find one more suited for something. THAT is objective preference, because it is a preference based on objective and exterior facts.

What makes it a preference is that your subjective self is the one to interpret the impressions you are receiving.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, you didn't have a clue what I was. Read again my comments, I didn't contradict myself. If I wasn't explicit it is my bad again, english is not my native language but I'll put more effort in my posts when it is needed, I promise.

HS off though, the main topic is about what does Sony MDR-1R values, not how I defend my objectiveness in my impressions.
Edited by Vanarian - 3/17/13 at 6:44am
post #103 of 145

I'm sorry Vanarian, but there is no way that impressions can be objective.  That's why we call them impressions here, as opposed to observations of fact.
 

One cannot make an objective comparison between two subjective points.  If neither reference point A (a subjective impression), nor reference point B (another subjective impression) are fixed, one cannot be sure of determining a uniform difference between the two.  It will be a subjective difference.  This is because people will hear the two headphones differently, so they will also contrast the two headphones differently.

 

In short, unless we're talking about measurements (i.e. graphs), anything and everything we say is subjective.  And guess what, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Subjective data can be useful, and at the very least entertaining.  But let's not go around pretending there's objective data in our subjectively gathered impressions... because that just wouldn't be true.

post #104 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanarian View Post


Guy you have subjective preference and objective preference. When you get to the basic each people talking is subjective, but can aim to be objective. Though we are not in a philosophy debate, it's not the thread.

I know what I'm talking about, study a bit of French penal system and you'll understand why I said I was talking about objective preference. I did base my impressions on facts, not on personal biased opinions or technicalities in my mind or any fanboy stuff. Subjective preference is saying "Ah, nothing can beat this", or "this is pile of ****" when you hear anything else which is better, yet you don't recognize it. Or you try only one set and go ahead and say it is the best. What did you base your opinion on, then? That is subjective preference.

Objective preference is when you go and compare. You don't seek a peculiar sound, you just listen to hear which one performs the best in which area. You'll prefer one over others, or find one more suited for something. THAT is objective preference, because it is a preference based on objective and exterior facts.

What makes it a preference is that your subjective self is the one to interpret the impressions you are receiving.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, you didn't have a clue what I was. Read again my comments, I didn't contradict myself. If I wasn't explicit it is my bad again, english is not my native language but I'll put more effort in my posts when it is needed, I promise.

HS off though, the main topic is about what does Sony MDR-1R values, not how I defend my objectiveness in my impressions.

 

  • Subjective: When some one makes a judgment call, as it were, they are speaking subjectively. A subjective interpretation is a filtering through of facts through one's own thoughts or feelings. Subjective is tied to belief and can be disputable.
  • Objective: When someone renders a decision based on an observable fact, they are speaking objectively. An objective interpretation leans heavily towards unbiased reportage. Objective is almost always indisputable.

 

You are very clearly not understanding those concepts.

post #105 of 145
Warrenpachi I do agree but if even the slightest subjectivity, like being the vector which receives informations from the object, and interpret it, can't permit the slightest objectivity in impressions, then let's say that everything I said is fully and totally subjective, ok.

Roguegeek, wasn't I talking about PREFERENCES more than objective and subjective? I wasn't even arguing about definitions you wrote, nor saying that what I said was not disputable. When you read a title, care about the little specific word, not the bigger general one. You misread my point.

I'll stick to pure subjectivity then, I didn't like the MDR-1R though I thought I'd enjoy it, and I do have personal impressions generating this. But I do believe that somebody else will love it, and get better impressions about it. Try it and do your own opinion, that is my point if I stick to pure subjectivity.
Edited by Vanarian - 3/17/13 at 12:40pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home