Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPhone 5 as a source
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 as a source

post #1 of 96
Thread Starter 

Please post any news or ideas here for getting the best sound out of the new phone

 

thanks

post #2 of 96

Phone is not available. Won't be until end of month.

post #3 of 96

New digital only output from the dock. I am looking forward to see what that means and how to connect external DAC's. It's goodbye to Line-out docks and portable amps together with the iPhone 5. 

post #4 of 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmushorn View Post

New digital only output from the dock. I am looking forward to see what that means and how to connect external DAC's. It's goodbye to Line-out docks and portable amps together with the iPhone 5. 

 

Well assuming the digital signal still requires Apple's decryption key/hardware chip (i.e. Made for iPhone), then I don't think this will change things much. It just means that if you want to use line out wit the iPhone 5 and any subsequent device that relies on the new dock configuration, you'll need the 30-pin adapter, and will have to rely on whatever DAC Apple's using in that.

post #5 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmushorn View Post

New digital only output from the dock. I am looking forward to see what that means and how to connect external DAC's. It's goodbye to Line-out docks and portable amps together with the iPhone 5. 

not exactly sure of that.  Follow this thread for the most up to date info.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626860/iphone-5-has-totally-new-dock-connector-adapters-reportedly-available/30

post #6 of 96

Thanks bixby - probably best to keep all posts relating to the Lightning connector in that thread, 

post #7 of 96

Lightning-to-microUSB adapter for iPhone 5 :

 

 

Apple is also releasing in Europe a " Micro-USB Adaper " :    

 

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/apple-lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter/

 

 

Will this allow to bypass the internal DAC (like a CKK on an iPad) and supply digital music to an External DAC ? 

post #8 of 96

No, that just allows Apple to comply with EU standards of using a micro-USB port on the iPhone. All it does is convert the lightning connector to micro-USB.

post #9 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannytang View Post

No, that just allows Apple to comply with EU standards of using a micro-USB port on the iPhone. All it does is convert the lightning connector to micro-USB.

Nope read this. "Astute readers may have noticed that the Lightning connector does not support analog audio-out, but the 30-pin adapters do. That’s because hidden away inside each 30-pin adapter is a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that converts the Lightning connector’s digital audio signal to an analog version. (The inclusion of a DAC explains at least part of the price of the adapters.)"

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

Lightning-to-microUSB adapter for iPhone 5 :

 

 

Apple is also releasing in Europe a " Micro-USB Adaper " :    

 

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/apple-lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter/

 

 

Will this allow to bypass the internal DAC (like a CKK on an iPad) and supply digital music to an External DAC ? 

Yes. The new lighting connector is all digital output. This allows us to use our precious external DACs. biggrin.gif

post #10 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler28nm View Post

Nope read this. "Astute readers may have noticed that the Lightning connector does not support analog audio-out, but the 30-pin adapters do. That’s because hidden away inside each 30-pin adapter is a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that converts the Lightning connector’s digital audio signal to an analog version. (The inclusion of a DAC explains at least part of the price of the adapters.)"

The assumption here is the DAC in the adapter, if there is one, is going to be equal in performance to the DAC inside the iPhone 5 itself - and that's a big assumption. If it is not going to be as good (or much worst), then line-out might not be that good of an idea when compared to double amping the headphone-out any more. But hopefully if the adapter doesn't need any special chip, at least we can expect some aftermarket adapter with better DAC which won't cost $650 to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler28nm View Post

Yes. The new lighting connector is all digital output. This allows us to use our precious external DACs. biggrin.gif

This goes back to the previous point, assuming no special chip required. Hopefully that will be the case.
post #11 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


The assumption here is the DAC in the adapter, if there is one, is going to be equal in performance to the DAC inside the iPhone 5 itself - and that's a big assumption. If it is not going to be as good (or much worst), then line-out might not be that good of an idea when compared to double amping the headphone-out any more. But hopefully if the adapter doesn't need any special chip, at least we can expect some aftermarket adapter with better DAC which won't cost $650 to buy.
This goes back to the previous point, assuming no special chip required. Hopefully that will be the case.

No dude apple confirmed this. Use your googlefu... there are at least 10+ articles that discusses incompatibility issue(because of the internal DAC.) You should do some thorough research before you say anything... just saying...

here are some articles:

http://cypherlabs.com/blog/post/apple-lighting-what-it-means-for-audiophiles

http://www.148apps.com/news/30pin-lightning-adapter-costs-30/

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/lightning-30-pin-adapter-works-with-analog-audio-ipod-out-doe/

http://www.stuff.tv/news/apple-news/news-nugget/why-the-iphone-5-lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-costs-so-much

 

google search link:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=30-pin+to+Lightning+Adapter&oq=30-pin+to+Lightning+Adapter&gs_l=hp.3...2580.2580.1.2905.1.1.0.0.0.0.75.75.1.1.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.2rcLW_XmnFA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=ba9a35dc39c5822a&ion=1&biw=1454&bih=704

post #12 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


The assumption here is the DAC in the adapter, if there is one, is going to be equal in performance to the DAC inside the iPhone 5 itself - and that's a big assumption. If it is not going to be as good (or much worst), then line-out might not be that good of an idea when compared to double amping the headphone-out any more. But hopefully if the adapter doesn't need any special chip, at least we can expect some aftermarket adapter with better DAC which won't cost $650 to buy.
This goes back to the previous point, assuming no special chip required. Hopefully that will be the case.

 

Apple has confirmed that the adapter outputs analog audio thus the presence of dac inside that adapter is no longer assupmtion. It's a fact.

 

The quality of that analog signal is what must be checked. I would be really astonished if the quality of that signal is even close the one that the old built in line out port provided us with.

 

But with Apple engineers there's always some room for hope.

post #13 of 96

Seriously, am I the only Head-Fier who can consistently type 'lightning' with two n's ?  From the Cypher Labs blog on, I'm setting 'lighting adapter' all over the place - aaaarrgggghhhh ........  rolleyes.gif

post #14 of 96
Don't overreact, I can read English and the Macworld article hasn't gone beyond my reading skill yet.

You missed the whole point that I was trying to make, not on whether it will have a DAC in the adapter or not, but whether that DAC will be good enough and offer comparative advantage over double amping. If it is a cr*pping sounding DAC that only meant to get by the old accessories owner, then it won't be much of a point, isn't it?
post #15 of 96

I understood your post as exactly that. Seems as counter intuitive and bass ackword way to do so. Of course, those that want Dig out are in luck but likely only with apple certified kit. I'm sure that dac connector is available for backward compatibility for docks etc.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPhone 5 as a source