Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have an on-the-ear set, looking for a over-the-ear set Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
REVIEW - Fiio EM3 Fiio is not a company that needs any introduction. Known for its wide and affordable large Amp and DAC line, and well regarded since the release of the first DAP...
Design/durability: Stellar build quality is one of the highlights of the Rockets. Pretty much every feature of it seems indestructible. The L-shaped jack seems very sturdy and has enough strain...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 652post #9766 of 217604/7/13 at 6:46pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9767 of 217604/7/13 at 7:45pm
Good to see the thread has gotten some of it's life back.
I received a pair of on tour Heir Czar 350's from a fellow headfier a few days ago. I'm listening to it paired off with my CLAS setup as a type this and all I can say is what a crazy top end glare on these things. An I thought my Q cans were bright, the Czar's make my Q cans sound rolled off when compared to them. Even though the Czar's seem to be more leaned out then my Q can they don't sound as fast which is rather surprising. I only have 2 weeks or so with these earphones fun times lay ahead of me.post #9768 of 217604/7/13 at 8:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by DigitalFreak Good to see the thread has gotten some of it's life back. I received a pair of on tour Heir Czar 350's from a fellow headfier a few days ago. I'm listening to it paired off with my CLAS setup as a type this and all I can say is what a crazy top end glare on these things. An I thought my Q cans were bright, the Czar's make my Q cans sound rolled off when compared to them. Even though the Czar's seem to be more leaned out then my Q can they don't sound as fast which is rather surprising. I only have 2 weeks or so with these earphones fun times lay ahead of me.
Their big issue is that 7.5k peak. If you EQ that thing down ~6 dB, you'll find it much, much more enjoyable. But, I personally don't like to EQ, so that's why I didn't keep it. Otherwise, it's one of the most detailed universals around, bar none, matching many customs in detail.
Edit (for more explanation): the driver seems to have some kind of mechanical resonance there that makes that peak seem more prominent than it is.
Edited by tomscy2000 - 4/7/13 at 8:21pmpost #9769 of 217604/7/13 at 8:18pmpost #9770 of 217604/7/13 at 8:19pmpost #9771 of 217604/7/13 at 8:56pm
Thanks for the info Tom I'm going to give your EQ info a shot and see how it turns out.
Since the topic has suddenly turned to video games are there any Darkstalker fans on thread?post #9772 of 217604/7/13 at 9:20pmpost #9773 of 217604/7/13 at 9:37pmQuote:
You might be the fellow to talk to then. Any idea on a good storefront that sells Darstalker figurines at acceptable non gouge out your eyes prices? I'm trying to find a Lilith and Victor figurine.post #9774 of 217604/7/13 at 10:03pmpost #9775 of 217604/8/13 at 12:11ampost #9776 of 217604/8/13 at 1:34amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by drez
I was a bit suspicious of their OR5 when I was was looking for a new USB/SPDIF transport, I ended up going with Bel Canto's Reflink as it is apparently almost indistinguishable over SPDIF connection, and it costs a lot less, like over $1000 less. Berkley Alpha USB was another option, I really want to try one of those also. Empirical are always upgrading their designs, apparently there are some more upgrades in store, maybe at some point some of the upgrades will become more economical or standard rather than insanely expensive. When it comes to USB/I2S transport OffRamp has few competitors at that level of performance, and apparently that's where the OR5 really has an advantage to justify the price premium.
The OR5 is getting very high praise from some folks I typically trust for non-BS impressions, so I'm really curious about it. Basically they felt it made a very big difference in what they were hearing over other stuff they've tried before like the Audiophilio. They went into it with a highly skeptical attitude not expecting much in the way of gains.
Apparently Empirical has a money back guarantee, so that's enticing too. Even if they're attributing the improvements to unicorn horn powder and mermaid scales, I'd be down for one if I could hear definite improvements.post #9777 of 217604/8/13 at 1:38amThread Starter
New Kurt Vile and James Blake tomorrow. New Flaming Lips the week after that. Already out: new Waaves, Tyler the Creator, Low, and Youth Lagoon.
Good month for music.
Edited by MuppetFace - 4/8/13 at 1:39ampost #9778 of 217604/8/13 at 1:45amQuote:
Have to check out James Blake. Saw him live twice, it is an awesome experience. I am quite curious to see what direction the leader of Odd Future si taking. To me, the key event this month is the knew album by The Knife after soooo long. But maybe that's just me :)post #9779 of 217604/8/13 at 3:00ampost #9780 of 217604/8/13 at 3:21am
Kerrigan was pretty cool, but Abathur was just a big ball of fun. He was diabolical and yet I found him somewhat touchingly innocent too.
Nah, not just you. I'm super excited too!
This thread is locked
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 16 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 23 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 36 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 39 seconds ago
- › LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ? 44 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 1 minute ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Noble Audio Kaiser K10UA universal aluminum by Saraguie
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...