Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have an on-the-ear set, looking for a over-the-ear set Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are there any portable headphones with HiFiMAN-like signature? Last post on 12/16/14 at 3:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Questions Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:50am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
These are good headphones. I would have preferred a hard carrying case for the headphones, but, when you consider the cost of these cans, the soft carrying bag is acceptable. If you really...
This review is the summary section of Yulong DA8II in-depth review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/779702/yulong-da8ii-in-depth-review Please visit the above thread for more...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction: Aune Audio has been making affordable audiophile products for quite a while now – They have a number of desktop DACs and amplifiers, and recently made an entry into the...
The ATH-CK9LTD’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. I’ve reviewed the ATH-CKR9 and ATH-CKR10 earlier, those reviews are available...
Intro: JDS Labs, Is an American company based in Collinsville, Illinois. They make headphone amplifiers & DAC’s. Mr. John Seaber is the man behind JDS Labs. We might remember JDS Labs when they...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 652post #9766 of 217604/7/13 at 6:46pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #9767 of 217604/7/13 at 7:45pm
Good to see the thread has gotten some of it's life back.
I received a pair of on tour Heir Czar 350's from a fellow headfier a few days ago. I'm listening to it paired off with my CLAS setup as a type this and all I can say is what a crazy top end glare on these things. An I thought my Q cans were bright, the Czar's make my Q cans sound rolled off when compared to them. Even though the Czar's seem to be more leaned out then my Q can they don't sound as fast which is rather surprising. I only have 2 weeks or so with these earphones fun times lay ahead of me.post #9768 of 217604/7/13 at 8:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by DigitalFreak Good to see the thread has gotten some of it's life back. I received a pair of on tour Heir Czar 350's from a fellow headfier a few days ago. I'm listening to it paired off with my CLAS setup as a type this and all I can say is what a crazy top end glare on these things. An I thought my Q cans were bright, the Czar's make my Q cans sound rolled off when compared to them. Even though the Czar's seem to be more leaned out then my Q can they don't sound as fast which is rather surprising. I only have 2 weeks or so with these earphones fun times lay ahead of me.
Their big issue is that 7.5k peak. If you EQ that thing down ~6 dB, you'll find it much, much more enjoyable. But, I personally don't like to EQ, so that's why I didn't keep it. Otherwise, it's one of the most detailed universals around, bar none, matching many customs in detail.
Edit (for more explanation): the driver seems to have some kind of mechanical resonance there that makes that peak seem more prominent than it is.
Edited by tomscy2000 - 4/7/13 at 8:21pmpost #9769 of 217604/7/13 at 8:18pmpost #9770 of 217604/7/13 at 8:19pmpost #9771 of 217604/7/13 at 8:56pm
Thanks for the info Tom I'm going to give your EQ info a shot and see how it turns out.
Since the topic has suddenly turned to video games are there any Darkstalker fans on thread?post #9772 of 217604/7/13 at 9:20pmpost #9773 of 217604/7/13 at 9:37pmQuote:
You might be the fellow to talk to then. Any idea on a good storefront that sells Darstalker figurines at acceptable non gouge out your eyes prices? I'm trying to find a Lilith and Victor figurine.post #9774 of 217604/7/13 at 10:03pmpost #9775 of 217604/8/13 at 12:11ampost #9776 of 217604/8/13 at 1:34amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by drez
I was a bit suspicious of their OR5 when I was was looking for a new USB/SPDIF transport, I ended up going with Bel Canto's Reflink as it is apparently almost indistinguishable over SPDIF connection, and it costs a lot less, like over $1000 less. Berkley Alpha USB was another option, I really want to try one of those also. Empirical are always upgrading their designs, apparently there are some more upgrades in store, maybe at some point some of the upgrades will become more economical or standard rather than insanely expensive. When it comes to USB/I2S transport OffRamp has few competitors at that level of performance, and apparently that's where the OR5 really has an advantage to justify the price premium.
The OR5 is getting very high praise from some folks I typically trust for non-BS impressions, so I'm really curious about it. Basically they felt it made a very big difference in what they were hearing over other stuff they've tried before like the Audiophilio. They went into it with a highly skeptical attitude not expecting much in the way of gains.
Apparently Empirical has a money back guarantee, so that's enticing too. Even if they're attributing the improvements to unicorn horn powder and mermaid scales, I'd be down for one if I could hear definite improvements.post #9777 of 217604/8/13 at 1:38amThread Starter
New Kurt Vile and James Blake tomorrow. New Flaming Lips the week after that. Already out: new Waaves, Tyler the Creator, Low, and Youth Lagoon.
Good month for music.
Edited by MuppetFace - 4/8/13 at 1:39ampost #9778 of 217604/8/13 at 1:45amQuote:
Have to check out James Blake. Saw him live twice, it is an awesome experience. I am quite curious to see what direction the leader of Odd Future si taking. To me, the key event this month is the knew album by The Knife after soooo long. But maybe that's just me :)post #9779 of 217604/8/13 at 3:00ampost #9780 of 217604/8/13 at 3:21am
Kerrigan was pretty cool, but Abathur was just a big ball of fun. He was diabolical and yet I found him somewhat touchingly innocent too.
Nah, not just you. I'm super excited too!
This thread is locked
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 33 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 41 seconds ago
- › The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 4 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K240 Studio Review 4 minutes ago
- › SENNHEISER HD650 4 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier black by avitron142
- › Audio-technica Ath-m50 Studio Monitor Headphones Limited Red Model... by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Brainwavz Jive by peter123
- › SoundMAGIC E50S In Ear Isolating Earphones with Microphone - RED by pformagg
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by Malfunkt
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2