Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Custom made cables for my TF10 and SF3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom made cables for my TF10 and SF3

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

OK they aren't exotica cables but I have to say they are pretty cheap.

I had them made to custom with the pins and splitters and Neutrik L, yes they were made in China.

The first one I had made were 'Athena' cables, I originally thought they would be thicker they are meant to be 8 braided flat, original colour should of been copper but I asked for them to be sheathed in black wrap. I have no idea what type of cable 'Athena' are but they are about a 32AWG in my reckoning, don't know if they are SPC or what. All I can say they are very clear sounding, I have them on my SF3 which I find extremely good.

The UE pins are gold in colour the earloops are moulded using heatshrink which are absolutely fine, the splitter is an aluminium tube which is hot glued for strain relief. Microphonics are non exsistent it is soft and supple, only problem is the thiness of the entire cable. It's a minor niggle but I am very gentle with my stuff, the Neutrik is great. $23 is better than the OE cable.

 

Next up after a couple of failed attempts of trying to DIY a cable for my TF's I decided on the interim to purchase another set made by the same place, this time with 'Vienna' cable again I asked for the same setup black wrap and splitter, but this time they gave me black UE pins which I have to say is a bonus.

 

Sound wise the 'Athena' seem to bring the highs out whereas the 'Vienna' most definitely bring the midrange and bass.

 

The 'Vienna' is also a bit thicker and coil resistant, but also has almost nil microphonics. Overall it cost me $33.

Cheers 

post #2 of 6

Those pins for your TF10 cable are meant for the CIEM's from UE. They probably have stretched out the internal pins of the TF10. Not familiar with which pins were used on the other one or what size the internal pin receptors are on the SF3. 

 

Looks nice. 32 AWG is really tiny. Would be nice to know what it actually is. You're quite far away from any normal size (normal size seems to be 24 AWG, 26 AWG, and I've even heard of some 28 AWG aftermarket cables). Probably a good idea about the sheathing. Would've been really fragile if they weren't protected like that, and if the cable really is that thin, it probably didn't add much to the overall thickness. From the photos it seems quite hard to imagine their are 8 cables in that wire, even at a really tiny thickness. Most important thing is you enjoy them though, so glad you enjoy them. Can you please tell us what the name of the company is? It's adding a level of vagueness that can only discredit your post by not including them, especially since Sun Audio makes a cable that goes by the name of "Athena" that is specifically only meant for the UE type pins you would have on your SF3's and TF10's. Where'd these names come from if they are both custom cables?

post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman345 View Post

Those pins for your TF10 cable are meant for the CIEM's from UE. They probably have stretched out the internal pins of the TF10. Not familiar with which pins were used on the other one or what size the internal pin receptors are on the SF3. 

Those Pins/Connectors pictured, are for TF10's and not CIEM's.

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #4 of 6

Interesting. I thought they were in fact for CIEM's. Gotta check some things then, may have ordered a wrong part. What's with not being able to find the right pins for aftermarket cables? Such a hard task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabelmeister View Post

Those Pins/Connectors pictured, are for TF10's and not CIEM's.

post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 

I am not a great fan of Chinese QC the gold pins are a tad tight into the SF3, but slip in my Altec UHP336 and TF10's like precision.

The Black pins fit all, maybe my SF3 are just tight! I've read that TF, SF and UHP are 0.75mm and CIEMs are 0.78mm, so far absolutely no complaints on my part.

 

As for the discrediting part, I hate to offend but I bought these from a Chinese Fleabay equivalent, if I posted the link here I'm sure I'd overstep the line somehow, plus it's all in simplified Chinese, I'd have no qualms pm'ing it to you.

On the Chinese site they call different cables with different names, Athena, Vienna, Marine Heart, Hornet, Aurora........the list goes on. I really don't know who actually manufactuers the wire itself or specs, ocassionally they sell them by the strand which looks like it's been salvaged?!?!

Here's a comparison photo of the thickness, they are both flat braided, the top is the thinner Athena and the bottom is the Vienna.

 

Please don't flame me I am not a reseller or a a guy peddling his wares here, I'm just showing what I bought in China at a reasonable price.

post #6 of 6

Wasnt flaming you. Just had no idea about these. I usually know about most sources for wires, IEM ones at least (check my sig). I think I would include these cables if I can have someone help translate and provide me the information I need to fill in the spreadsheet. Also, I am planning to revise it into a full length list with tons of information, so to include them I need to be able to have someone help me write those sections. List should be ready in a month or so, really busy with school these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven1816 View Post

I am not a great fan of Chinese QC the gold pins are a tad tight into the SF3, but slip in my Altec UHP336 and TF10's like precision.

The Black pins fit all, maybe my SF3 are just tight! I've read that TF, SF and UHP are 0.75mm and CIEMs are 0.78mm, so far absolutely no complaints on my part.

 

As for the discrediting part, I hate to offend but I bought these from a Chinese Fleabay equivalent, if I posted the link here I'm sure I'd overstep the line somehow, plus it's all in simplified Chinese, I'd have no qualms pm'ing it to you.

On the Chinese site they call different cables with different names, Athena, Vienna, Marine Heart, Hornet, Aurora........the list goes on. I really don't know who actually manufactuers the wire itself or specs, ocassionally they sell them by the strand which looks like it's been salvaged?!?!

Here's a comparison photo of the thickness, they are both flat braided, the top is the thinner Athena and the bottom is the Vienna.

 

Please don't flame me I am not a reseller or a a guy peddling his wares here, I'm just showing what I bought in China at a reasonable price.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Custom made cables for my TF10 and SF3