Originally Posted by aristidesfl
I own a pair of M50 and am considering trading them for some K550 or DT770 for confort reasons. I also need good isolation, and tend to prefer flat sound signatures.
1) Sound signature: Since I own the M50, how does the DT770 compare to it? Are they both equally V shaped or is one more than the other?
2) Confort: K550 vs DT770?
3) Isolation: which one of the 3 models offer more? Which one offers less?
If you have experience with at least 2 of these cans, please answer the questions you are qualified to, and state how much time you have spent listening to each one.
1. The DT770 has a larger sound stage, is far more comfortable, it's actually closer to neutral than it is to being bassy, it's falsely recommended as a "bassy" headphone. It can be bassy, but it's not automatically just bassy like it's enhanced or something, as it's not. The treble is not that hot. I found the M50 treble to be more harsh and grainy. The DT770 has more of a syrup sound to it. Lots of people say the mids are recessed, but I don't think they are, voice sounds normal to me even though there's a touch of warm and an edge on treble. Voice doesn't sound less than it does on something else to me. In fact, the DT770 is one of the better headphones that makes female vocals for example sound right to me, but hey, that's my opinion.
2. The DT770 is more comfortable, with velour pads and grips and seals very well.
3. The K550 has great isolation, but only if you can seal it. The DT770 has good isolation and seals easily with it's clamp and form fitting velour.
Overall based on your needs, it sounds like you should be looking at the Brainwavz HM5. Has great isolation, both leather and velour pads, good flat response and a great sound stage.