Q: What's up with preorder?!?!
A: At this point we are planning to ship a small number of units in December (about 40 I think). What caused a delay here is that we decided to redo several things in the product based on customer input. I'm not complaining, but rather apologizing for the delay.This means we are still two months away and I hope that we hold that deadline. However, it's also is the worst time of the year to be building electronics products, since everyone is ramping up for X-Mas...
I fully appreciate the trust you are placing in the product and the intention with pre-order. The pre-order price is set at 20% off ($560, which actually is a rather unbeatable deal). You will need to be a registered Head-Fi member to order (which obviously is the case here). We are planning to offer the units for pre-order in our store soon (probably right after CANJAM), but please read the following disclaimer: "We have full intentions to ship by Xmas, but we cannot guarantee that we will do so. Please understand that you may not get your unit by Xmas."
I'm glad to see you're taking your time to get the design right, I'd much prefer to see a delay and have you feel confident in the design.
As I've mentioned to you previously, put me down for the pre-order. I do see one issue though, we are going away for Christmas so there's potential for us to not be here to accept the package. Would there be any way to still pre-order but delay shipment until the new year if schedules conflict?
Another question, will payment for the pre-order be at the time of order or at the time of shipping or a combination of a down payment to hold one with the balance due at shipping?