Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headamp Pico Unsampling DAC serial# 099 (Black) Last post on 9/8/16 at 1:40am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Macbook pro's build-in DAC vs FiiO E10? Last post on 12/6/16 at 4:58am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best amp DAC for hd800 Last post on 10/31/12 at 6:10am in Dedicated Source Components
- Portable USB DAC to drive headphones and maybe speakers Last post on 10/13/12 at 1:57pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
Today is my long overdue review of the Cayin i5. I had trouble getting this review complete due to a holiday emergency and a slow recovery however, better late than never. *disclaimer* I've...
Company 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears) is a well-known maker of top-level multidriver IEMs. They are offering a big range of models, but the most attractive feature of their earphones is APEX...
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread - Page 20
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #287 of 3432/2/14 at 10:35amI bought the Mytek for one reason: when I recorded an album with my band and paid for professional mastering, the mastering engineer used a Mytek DAC and ADC. Later, when we went back in the studio, they used Mytek gear as well. I'm not going to drop names, but I had the good fortune to work with serious guys, and the final tweaks to all their albums (and countless more) were made on a Mytek.
I have no doubt that the Bryston and the PS Audio are great units. I've heard the PWD and like it a lot. But, to me, the DAC should not be a piece of gear with character. It should be technically perfect, sonically without fault, and it's performance should be vetted against some benchmark. I am comfortable setting that benchmark at "what mastering engineers use."post #288 of 3432/2/14 at 11:15amYour thoughts make sense to me. But having the many dacs
If various prices the answer is just not that simple
I own the MyTek , pwdmkii , audio GD M7
, msb platinum stack. And have heard the lampi
Level 4 gen 4. And they all sound different
I conclude some have just separation of the music
And overall a better sound quality niw I also own an offramp
That improves almost all of the dacs
Now a recording engineer does need a ad to da
Converter but I do think the MyTek is a commercial pro
But that is just my thoughts
Alpost #289 of 3432/19/14 at 9:05am
i know i'm a little late on this thread and i hope its ok to jump in. i'm new to all this and i too am looking to buy a new dac. i'm not opposed to spending a little more $$$ if its a product that is going to last/ provide years of enjoyment.
so my question, (hope this doesn't sound stupid & yes i am new to this) "has anyone compared the Mytek to the Auralic Vega? i know the Vega is more money but i have read many good reviews, and i really like the look!
thanks, and looking forward to hearing some feedback.
Papa Kiefpost #290 of 3432/19/14 at 10:46am
[...]I compared the Vega to the Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC ($1,695.00, see review) which I thoroughly enjoy, and the Mytek sounds slightly veiled and diffuse in comparison. This is an interesting discovery because I never would have described the Mytek as sounding veiled or diffuse without hearing the Vega side by side.[...]post #291 of 3432/19/14 at 10:52ampost #292 of 3432/19/14 at 11:28ampost #293 of 3432/19/14 at 11:32amOk then that is as good as it gets. . I do not find it veiled but it is a little lAid back. Like the M7. As opposed to the PWDmkii. It's better with headphones or IEM,s , but with speakers it's not close enough.
Alpost #294 of 3433/11/14 at 10:11ampost #295 of 3433/11/14 at 10:20ampost #296 of 3433/11/14 at 10:59ampost #297 of 3433/11/14 at 11:17ampost #298 of 3433/13/14 at 7:36amWhat do you guys think about vs Yulong DA8 ?
I want to use the DAC as headphone amp and also want to drive the speaker.
I read the Yulong DA8 thread and review says the mytek amp section is pretty weak compare to Yulong DA8 amp.
Is this true ?post #299 of 3433/13/14 at 7:43ampost #300 of 3433/13/14 at 7:46amQuote:
(Edit : I guess you answered but) So Yulong DA8 is better ? I want a nice (not overly expensive) that can play DSD128 and works as headphone amp.
Thanks in advance.
Edited by Canadian411 - 3/13/14 at 7:57am
- Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › ATH-M40x bad sound quality 4 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 9 seconds ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 35 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 1 minute ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Review & Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › V moda Lp2 or Sony mdr 1 A 2 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › Cayin i5 by Voxata
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear