New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sol Republic Tracks? - Page 3

post #31 of 114

The M80 is basically a better-looking, better-sounding version of the Sols, and handily beats the LP and LP2 as well.

post #32 of 114

Now, the Tracks HD may have significantly better mids and highs.  I have not heard those. 

post #33 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondite View Post

The M80 is basically a better-looking, better-sounding version of the Sols, and handily beats the LP and LP2 as well.

But they're almost $80 more expensive than the SOL's

post #34 of 114

I just noticed that the SOL website offers up the sound engine (the speakers) for sale separately.  Quite cool I think.  I think I may take a stab at the V10 with is the Tracks HD.  They run 89 bucks.  But I also noticed that they have a completely new headphone called the Tracks ULTRA.  It's the sound engine V12.  

post #35 of 114

SOL offers everything in separate, even cables. It's a great idea, IMO.

post #36 of 114
Thread Starter 

I have heard some good reviews on the ultras might want to save up for those!!

post #37 of 114

The only headphones I'd ever consider buying under $100 are AD700s,RE0s, or GR06. The Sols really just sound terrible. 

post #38 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmik Panda View Post

I have heard some good reviews on the ultras might want to save up for those!!

I can't find any reviews up..

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondite View Post

The only headphones I'd ever consider buying under $100 are AD700s,RE0s, or GR06. The Sols really just sound terrible. 

Have you heard the HD's? The GR06's are a fine piece as well

post #39 of 114

In the consumer-grade sector of audio, the "HD" labeling more often than not just translates into more bass. More bass would only make the Sols worse.

That being said, I haven't heard them, but it's very, very unlikely that an "HD" version of the Sols is going to dramatically improve their rather awful sound.

post #40 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondite View Post

In the consumer-grade sector of audio, the "HD" labeling more often than not just translates into more bass. More bass would only make the Sols worse.

That being said, I haven't heard them, but it's very, very unlikely that an "HD" version of the Sols is going to dramatically improve their rather awful sound.

 

As its already been posted multiple times in the thread, the HD version clears up the midrange, not just giving it "a huge bass boost." 

post #41 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondite View Post

In the consumer-grade sector of audio, the "HD" labeling more often than not just translates into more bass. More bass would only make the Sols worse.

That being said, I haven't heard them, but it's very, very unlikely that an "HD" version of the Sols is going to dramatically improve their rather awful sound.

The HD's is like saying "2nd edition" for these particular headphones. Also, that is an opinion you have without trying them lol

post #42 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by whysochangry View Post

 

As its already been posted multiple times in the thread, the HD version clears up the midrange, not just giving it "a huge bass boost." 

It's too bad that the midrange wasn't the only problem. There was a huge notch in the middle that made vocals very recessed, and the treble, while being of decent quality, was lacking in quantity, giving them a bloated and muddy sound. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post

The HD's is like saying "2nd edition" for these particular headphones. Also, that is an opinion you have without trying them lol

Frankly, I don't need to hear them. Sol Republic is a maker of "all style no substance" consumer headphones. They're just not a good headphone manufacturer. It's like how you don't need to hear a new Beats model to know that they are going to be a bloated, muddy mess. 

Given that there are significantly better headphones to be found in the price range, I don't even understand how this is an issue for debate. They aren't good for the price, don't buy them. It's as simple as that. 

If you want a pair of $100 closed supra-aurals that look like a fashion headphone grab the Noontec Zoros or even the Philips Cityscape Downtowns. 


Edited by Alondite - 8/28/12 at 9:29pm
post #43 of 114

My good friend owns a pair of Tracks HD and I myself own a pair of ATH-M50's. 
 

Overall, the Tracks HD are much more portable but the ATH-M50's have better isolation and suit some traveling situations better because of that. 

 

Sound-wise, the Tracks HD are indeed quite V-shaped. I can't compare them to the non-HD Tracks model as I haven't heard them before but they were definitely more V-shaped than my M50's, which are slightly V-shaped themselves. The Tracks HD had a slightly unorganised bass when I first tried them from my friend but now they're burned in, the bass has tightened and cleaned up well. The treble on them were slightly muted before burn-in but also improved after burn-in. They aren't sparkly, clear or anything to rave about now, but are alright. The mids were and still are, not surprisingly, the problem I find with the Tracks HD. They are definitely recessed in comparison with the rest of the scale of the Tracks HD and therefore hinder the Tracks HD from being good at some genres. Any song that doesn't have much bass will have to rely on the performance of the treble and mid of the Tracks HD and they do not perform so well on their own.

The ATH-M50's already have a lot of reviews on them, so I will be succinct. They are slightly V-shaped and are very versatile. By this, I mean they do not have much of a problem with any genre and are consistently good. 

 

If you are looking for a headset to wear out and about that aren't horrific in their price range, the Tracks HD are an okay choice. Other portables in this range handle their mids and trebles better without compromise on the bass but may not be as customisable, good looking or durable. It depends on you whether you value the sound quality or build/form more. 

For a similar price though, you could get the ATH-M50's which have a much better sound experience. They aren't as portable though. 

post #44 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondite View Post

Frankly, I don't need to hear them. Sol Republic is a maker of "all style no substance" consumer headphones. They're just not a good headphone manufacturer. It's like how you don't need to hear a new Beats model to know that they are going to be a bloated, muddy mess. 

Given that there are significantly better headphones to be found in the price range, I don't even understand how this is an issue for debate. They aren't good for the price, don't buy them. It's as simple as that. 

If you want a pair of $100 closed supra-aurals that look like a fashion headphone grab the Noontec Zoros or even the Philips Cityscape Downtowns. 

 

That's just labeling. Snoopy was asking about a bass heavy headphone that are durable and looked good, and the Tracks were recommended to him. As you haven't heard them, refrain from leaving negative or positive reviews as you have no idea what they sound like. Literally- no idea. Why? You haven't heard them. Logic! Gotta love it.

post #45 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin4muzik View Post

My good friend owns a pair of Tracks HD and I myself own a pair of ATH-M50's. 
 

Overall, the Tracks HD are much more portable but the ATH-M50's have better isolation and suit some traveling situations better because of that. 

 

Sound-wise, the Tracks HD are indeed quite V-shaped. I can't compare them to the non-HD Tracks model as I haven't heard them before but they were definitely more V-shaped than my M50's, which are slightly V-shaped themselves. The Tracks HD had a slightly unorganised bass when I first tried them from my friend but now they're burned in, the bass has tightened and cleaned up well. The treble on them were slightly muted before burn-in but also improved after burn-in. They aren't sparkly, clear or anything to rave about now, but are alright. The mids were and still are, not surprisingly, the problem I find with the Tracks HD. They are definitely recessed in comparison with the rest of the scale of the Tracks HD and therefore hinder the Tracks HD from being good at some genres. Any song that doesn't have much bass will have to rely on the performance of the treble and mid of the Tracks HD and they do not perform so well on their own.

The ATH-M50's already have a lot of reviews on them, so I will be succinct. They are slightly V-shaped and are very versatile. By this, I mean they do not have much of a problem with any genre and are consistently good. 

 

If you are looking for a headset to wear out and about that aren't horrific in their price range, the Tracks HD are an okay choice. Other portables in this range handle their mids and trebles better without compromise on the bass but may not be as customisable, good looking or durable. It depends on you whether you value the sound quality or build/form more. 

For a similar price though, you could get the ATH-M50's which have a much better sound experience. They aren't as portable though. 

That is pretty much why I want them portable good looking, and built like a tank.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: