Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. - Page 34

post #496 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

You know I remember a few of the guys in the discovery thread burning in the FX40 and on the FXD80 thread. A couple of the guys tried using colored noise with some mixed results on the carbon nanotube earphones..They ended up using bass heavy tracks to solve the burn in issue..Try throwing some bass n drum heavy tunes mixed in..I just read a report from rickdohc who burned his FX40 at normal volumes for 70 hours. Didn't change much and after almost 400 hours of non stop 100% volume he got a real smooth sounding FX40. Which is what I got after 200 hours of Drum n bass for my pair. I think perhaps normal headphones and earphones only require 100 hours. Carbon nanotubes I would say need more like 200 hours.

 

Carbon Nanotubes be very stiff drivers so I would actually be some what aggressive on the burn in.  100% Max volume on my Sony Z1060 is like 75% volume of my laptop burn in station. I have that cranked to 85% all day and night.

 

good tip.. thanks. I will plug it to my desktop station with some bass heavy house/trance music starting tonight then.

post #497 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post

 

In no particular order ....

 

1) Ericp10

2) Dsnuts

3) Ghostfit

4) DannyBai

5) Cyloh

6) Marlonmarabe

7) Vlenbo

8) Drbluenewmexico

9) Bobeau

10) tgx78

11) Spider fan

 

and in the next few days....

 

Jwong

sfwalcer

Gee simpson

dnullify

Achmedisdead

bjaardker

LarzZa

 

...Sorry if I missed out anyone !   ...just did a 30 sec random page scan on who's got them and who's waiting for them. biggrin.gif

 

 

Oh!  ....and not forgeting those who've yet to order

 

analogsurviver ?

bowei006 ?

 

Please add me to the list, the only problem is that i live down here in central america so it would take me a few weeks before they arrive...  so i am waiting... and more waiting...................

post #498 of 8109
I think part of the problem with me was tha I didn't have the volume high enough with colored noise. Because its across all frequencies and solid noise, I think I heard it louder than it was.

I have no qualms about cranking up bass drive though.
post #499 of 8109
Thread Starter 

Ya bass drive is perfect. Just what the doctor ordered. Based on all the previous carbon nanotube earphones I can confirm these absolutely need a blasting from your sources to fully shine..The bass end benefits the most on these HA-S500. Over all sound is much tighter and imagery has improved because of it so worth the effort to get them loose for certain.

post #500 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post

In no particular order ....

1) Ericp10
2) Dsnuts
3) Ghostfit
4) DannyBai
5) Cyloh
6) Marlonmarabe
7) Vlenbo
8) Drbluenewmexico
9) Bobeau
10) tgx78
11) Spider fan

and in the next few days....

Jwong
sfwalcer
Gee simpson
dnullify
Achmedisdead
bjaardker
LarzZa

...Sorry if I missed out anyone !   ...just did a 30 sec random page scan on who's got them and who's waiting for them. biggrin.gif


Oh!  ....and not forgeting those who've yet to order

analogsurviver ?
bowei006 ?

+1 after my vacation wink.gif
post #501 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

You know I remember a few of the guys in the discovery thread burning in the FX40 and on the FXD80 thread. A couple of the guys tried using colored noise with some mixed results on the carbon nanotube earphones..They ended up using bass heavy tracks to solve the burn in issue..Try throwing some bass n drum heavy tunes mixed in..I just read a report from rickdohc who burned his FX40 at loudish volumes for 70 hours. Didn't change much and after almost 400 hours of non stop 100% volume he got a real smooth sounding FX40. Which is what I got after 200 hours of Drum n bass for my pair. I think perhaps normal headphones and earphones only require 100 hours. Carbon nanotubes I would say need more like 200 hours.

 

Carbon Nanotubes be very stiff drivers so I would actually be some what aggressive on the burn in.  100% Max volume on my Sony Z1060 is like 75% volume of my laptop burn in station. I have that cranked to 85% all day and night.

 

i know that there a lot of people that dont bealive in the Burn in process, i am by no means an audiophile professional, but im 1000000% sure that this nanotubes drivers need a big pounding, 

 

Fx40, they had 70 hours at 70% of volume i was not impressed that much you can searh what i had to say of them a few weeks back, but after 366 hours more, thats 2 weeks burning  my Fx40, non stop with bass heavy music, they changed A LOT.   at 100% of volume, at almost the point of distorsion used my fooobar2000 EQ and set the bass frecuencies up  to yhe point that they would not distort

 

 

No, i am not joking, no way i would ever use them at those volumes !!  . i was careless with those Fx40 (they are cheap, so why not) and the piercings highs are almost gone, i can use them for hours! now .  Cymbals sound much better now, with 70hours they hurted my ears.

 

 i didnt got accustomed to the sound, i didnt use them or heard them while the burn in process, i throwed them under an old pillow blasting day and nights, just checked at nights and before going to work if there was sound,  i am telling you people,  after 2 weeks, 24 hours at 100% of volume, basss pounding hard, i disconected them from the Pc,  conected them on to my ipad, used the R&B preseting, put them on my ears... gone are the piercing highs.. i even feel the bass is even better... i am not using my Fx101 or She3580, beacuse the Fx40 beats them in clarity and SQ easly, i cant imagine what kind of sound whe will have after intensing burn in on our S500`s!   maybe this S500 needs the same "abuse"

 

so burn them.. burn them HARD  L3000.gif


Edited by rickdohc - 8/15/12 at 11:24am
post #502 of 8109

I'm kinda having a hard time getting a grip on what you guys mean by volume levels.

 

With the Dragonfly I'm finding for most things only 2-4 clicks (out of 16) are at my level of comfortable listening.  At 4 clicks with my S500s they're approaching uncomfortably loud depending on the mix... probably pushing around 90 decibels.  So I've been leaving it on 6 clicks with DnB - 37% on the volume scale.  I sense some distortion but it's hard to tell, it could just be my ears being overwhelmed by the volume level, but it's loud enough I can only take a few seconds.

 

Are you guys pushing it *way* past where you could comfortably listen?  I'm thinking a little too much here could be harmful but I dunno.  I want to expedite the burn-in process as much as possible considering I have not only these but some FXD80s (used from dweaver so at least partially burned in) and some new G07 MkIIs.  I can only burn-in one thing at a time and I spend plenty time actually listening to something at regular volume levels while I work.


Edited by bobeau - 8/15/12 at 1:03pm
post #503 of 8109

A pretty interesting video on what carbon nanotubes are:

http://youtu.be/19nzPt62UPg

post #504 of 8109
Thread Starter 

If it is loud to you. Turn it up a notch after that. That should do it. It should be clearly heard when you put your headphone down. I have to throw a blanket on top of it as it makes too much noise for me. It is unscientific I know but that is what I go by.

post #505 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

If it is loud to you. Turn it up a notch after that. That should do it. It should be clearly heard when you put your headphone down. I have to throw a blanket on top of it as it makes too much noise for me. It is unscientific I know but that is what I go by.

 

It is definitely clearly heard.  Actually a good trick is just put a nice size book on top with the drivers pointed downward so it puts enough pressure to isolate.  You can barely hear them then.

post #506 of 8109
Thread Starter 

I like to let my drivers breath. Breath I say. Either way should be fine. If you got volumes to where it starts to distort that might be a bit too much but if you can start to feel the drivers when you are hearing them on your head move that is a good volume level. 100 plus hours of this and those drivers should loosen up nicely.

post #507 of 8109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeau View Post

I'm kinda having a hard time getting a grip on what you guys mean by volume levels.

 

With the Dragonfly I'm finding for most things only 2-4 clicks (out of 16) are at my level of comfortable listening.  At 4 clicks with my S500s they're approaching uncomfortably loud depending on the mix... probably pushing around 90 decibels.  So I've been leaving it on 6 clicks with DnB - 37% on the volume scale.  I sense some distortion but it's hard to tell, it could just be my ears being overwhelmed by the volume level, but it's loud enough I can only take a few seconds.

 

Are you guys pushing it *way* past where you could comfortably listen?  I'm thinking a little too much here could be harmful but I dunno.  I want to expedite the burn-in process as much as possible considering I have not only these but some FXD80s (used from dweaver so at least partially burned in) and some new G07 MkIIs.  I can only burn-in one thing at a time and I spend plenty time actually listening to something at regular volume levels while I work.

 

 

 

 

OK.,  for example.. i am using HP 600 Pro Desktop with "stock" soundcard,  Foobar2000,  EQ settings all frecuencys up to 10db, then adjusted the bass frecuencys from  156hz to 55hz between 12 and 15db, to the point i was not hearing distorsion, not a pleasant sound for hearing my music.    My Hp600 pro sounds louder than my IBM T420i, so maybe someone can give us more exact information about Volume db.

 

NO, i am not saying this is the best way to burn a earphone,  maybe i am doing it wrong... all i am saying is, thats how i burned my Fx40, and it worked for me.

 

NOTE.  thats how i burned  my Fx40,  to the point of almost distortion,once they started to distort i pulled down the bass frecuencies a little. once i found that point i left them there under a pillow 14 days x 24 hours. NEVER listend during the burnin process, just cheked if there was sound, thats all... i dont know if it will work for any other phone, i was careless with those Fx40, they are cheap so i didnt care that much if they went bad.

 

Reference:  Ipad 1st gen volume goes 95% than my Hp Proo 600.  No, i never hear at those volumes, that would be crazy.

 

 

PLEASE.. take this with a grain of salt


Edited by rickdohc - 8/15/12 at 2:17pm
post #508 of 8109

Anyone who has the S500 and the DT231/235 could check if the beyer velour pads would fit? They have a much larger hole in the middle compared to the HD25 velours and they're a whole lot cheaper too.

post #509 of 8109

Mine's barely burned-in for 25 hours or so. I left it at 50 percent volume to be safe, for me the loudest I can take is 30 percent or 20. It didn't pierce my ears at 50, but it is uncomfortable to hear it at that level all the time on the sony z1000.


Edited by vlenbo - 8/16/12 at 6:28am
post #510 of 8109
Really digging these and I don't even have the velours yet. I might even keep these for the long haul. They sound so good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread.