- 258 Posts. Joined 6/2012
- Location: Paris
- Select All Posts By This User
- productALO Audio Rx Mk3 Balanced Headphone Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- productCypher Labs Algorhythm Solotagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productFostex HP-P1tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productHeadAmp pico Slim Portable Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Advice needed on ultimate transportable setup Last post on 11/29/12 at 12:41am in High-end Audio Forum
- RSA Mustang/Shadow, or Headamp Pico Slim + CLAS or HP-P1 for JH16 pros Last post on 7/30/12 at 12:12am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best DAC/Amp Combo with a Cowon J3 and Westone 3? Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- DAC to use with my ipod Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:44am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 11/28/16
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
These are just plain excellent. I was never really a believer in IEMs, but I am now. These Philips SHE3590s are a real eye-opener. According to the ratings here on Head-Fi, these do, in fact,...
Lately it seems that almost every week there are new (or at least unheard of by most) companies releasing new DAPs (Digital Audio Players). This is great for the consumer because more products...
Clas or fostex ? - Page 3post #31 of 617/27/12 at 11:48pmThread StarterMerci... i already have noticed this site. But I am going to get an alo clas after all, after what I heard about the fostex
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 617/28/12 at 5:18ampost #33 of 617/28/12 at 5:26amThread Starterpost #34 of 618/20/12 at 7:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by ken6217
I have the CLAS and an ALO RX Mk3 as well as a Portaphile 627 amps. Don't ask.
I work in NYC and B&H Photo is near where I work. They give you 30 days full return policy. I was curious about the Fostex HP-P1 and if it was better than using any of the combinations that I mentioned above. It is not even close. The The CLAS combo has so much more depth, detail, soundstage, dimension than the Fostex.
I will say that I did not pair up the Fostex with an external amp, but I don't think people are buying the Fostex to be used as a separate DAC to be used with an external amp.
I am very impressed with your setup, the combo CLAS + RxMK3.
Don't mind if you can share your real experience what are the significant improvement in sound quality "with" and "without" the CLAS DAC?post #35 of 618/21/12 at 6:10ampost #36 of 619/5/12 at 7:26amQuote:Originally Posted by John0405
Ken, you seem to say, and also I gathered from others, that the fostex is leaner and colder than the clas+ amp.
With my miracles, I think I'm gonna end up with a shrilling sound with not enough bass to my taste if paired with fostex. You convinced me. I'll keep my pico slim, buy the clas, and later sell the pico to get the sr71b. That's the plan. Thx
Sometimes THIS can mean that the amp isn't colouring the music, that the amp is letting you hear the source more accurately.
I rather prefer an amp that isn't "opinionated" about how I hear the music, I am considering this Fostex myself for that reason.
I was pleased to see someone remark to it's transparency!
gotta love HeadFi. you can find an answer to EVERYTHING.post #37 of 619/6/12 at 12:08ampost #38 of 619/6/12 at 12:10amThread Starterpost #39 of 619/6/12 at 8:37amQuote:Ken, you seem to say, and also I gathered from others, that the fostex is leaner and colder than the clas+ amp.
With my miracles, I think I'm gonna end up with a shrilling sound with not enough bass to my taste if paired with fostex. You convinced me. I'll keep my pico slim, buy the clas, and later sell the pico to get the sr71b. That's the plan.
Interesting thread. I am currently using the Clas with the Pico Slim and UM Miracles and Ipod Classic and very pleased but if I was to change the amp I would also consider the SR71B - I have not been able to determine from these forums whether this would represent much of an improvement as the Pico Slim is such a good amp and I have not seen any comments from users who have moved from a slim to a sr71b with this combo.post #40 of 619/6/12 at 8:41amThread StarterI'd also be very interested in such a comparison. Having the fostex paired with miracles, this would be more than interesting to me. I also find the Amp section of the fostex lacks somehow in punch — in mids and bass...post #41 of 619/6/12 at 9:38amQuote:
I have miracle too and drive with RS 71 B and as source i use Iphone 4 S , this set up is very good synergie .
For more detail I use my Fostex Hp 1 as DAC and connect with mini to mini to my RS 71 B , you become more detail and wider soundstage and better bass impact .post #42 of 619/8/12 at 10:59am
I have my CLAS paired with my L3! liking it alot, haven't heard the HP-P1?and not even considering one, as I am ssooo happy with the CLAS at this point, no upgradeitis bug biting yet? and I am very suseptible to their bitings!
but am cosidering the Merlin hybrids? I have a set of the W4s, and ASG-1.2s, and love going back and forth with them, one week on one week off! oh and I still adore having the ZOv1 added into the mix aswell, huge soundstages with either IEM! deluxe detail, and excellent instrumnet seperation!
have to get some customs soon? that way I can justify the small fortune that I have invested into my audio since lurking here on Head-Fi, buwa ha ha ha ha! lol, simply deliciosly evil!
Edited by ANDEROAN - 9/8/12 at 11:02ampost #43 of 619/9/12 at 4:29pmpost #44 of 619/10/12 at 2:59pmI am on a business trip at moment and over the weekend tested my rig with and without the CLAS. Rig is unique melody miracles, iPod classic, Pico slim and Clas solo. All music is ripped lossless.
For me, it is a significant difference when the Clas is removed and I am surprised to read comments of some on this forum that argue there is not a significant difference. To me at least it is close to a night and day difference with the Clas in the chain. Overall far better sound quality, soundstage, transparency, tone, detail.post #45 of 619/10/12 at 4:24pmQuote:
For me, it is a significant difference when the Clas is removed and I am surprised to read comments of some on this forum that argue there is not a significant difference. To me at least it is close to a night and day difference with the Clas in the chain. Overall far better sound quality, soundstage, transparency, tone, detail.
I have the same "night and day" experiences with the CLAS adding significant improvement in sound quality. I no longer omit the CLAS from any rig save for when I'm at the gym with my Nano 6 + RSA Shadow + Klipsch X10.......adding the CLAS would just look silly.....but I have tried it with this very small rig and the differences in sound quality are still amazing. This is a true class product.
- Clas or fostex ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 19 seconds ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Appreciation and Discussion Thread:... 55 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK T8iE MkⅡ(Impressions and discussions thread) 1 minute ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 2 minutes ago
- › Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to... 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official X1 2nd gen stable firmware discussion thread--version 1.4.1 2 minutes ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV Player by wt - screenless budget dual mono... 3 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear