- 244 Posts. Joined 6/2012
- Location: Paris
- Select All Posts By This User
- productALO Audio Rx Mk3 Balanced Headphone Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- productCypher Labs Algorhythm Solotagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 7/26/12
- productFostex HP-P1tagged by System, 7/26/12
- productHeadAmp pico Slim Portable Amptagged by System, 7/26/12
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by System, 7/26/12
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Advice needed on ultimate transportable setup Last post on 11/29/12 at 12:41am in High-end Audio Forum
- RSA Mustang/Shadow, or Headamp Pico Slim + CLAS or HP-P1 for JH16 pros Last post on 7/30/12 at 12:12am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best DAC/Amp Combo with a Cowon J3 and Westone 3? Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- DAC to use with my ipod Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:44am in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
First impressions When I first tried these headphones out of the box, I was a little disappointed at how the higher frequencies seemed to be more forward than the mids and bass. It wouldn't...
I was on the hunt for a well-made copper cable to complement my stock and third party cables for my Fitear IEMs when I came across Forza Audioworks. Good quality wire, ergonomics and aesthetics...
Edit1: Supposedly you have to burn this in for a while and you have to leave it on constantly to warm up or whatever according to the manual, but I wrote the review below after only about an hour...
The best phones I've tried so far. I tried some well-burnt-in beyerdynamic and others in similar price range in a store, and I have owned the 601 before. I also own closed cans, e.g. the K271, and...
First of all, a big THANK YOU to @svyr and @H20Fidelity for organising this Australian tour. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included in this...
Clas or fostex ? - Page 3post #31 of 617/27/12 at 11:48pmThread StarterMerci... i already have noticed this site. But I am going to get an alo clas after all, after what I heard about the fostex
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 617/28/12 at 5:18ampost #33 of 617/28/12 at 5:26amThread Starterpost #34 of 618/20/12 at 7:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by ken6217
I have the CLAS and an ALO RX Mk3 as well as a Portaphile 627 amps. Don't ask.
I work in NYC and B&H Photo is near where I work. They give you 30 days full return policy. I was curious about the Fostex HP-P1 and if it was better than using any of the combinations that I mentioned above. It is not even close. The The CLAS combo has so much more depth, detail, soundstage, dimension than the Fostex.
I will say that I did not pair up the Fostex with an external amp, but I don't think people are buying the Fostex to be used as a separate DAC to be used with an external amp.
I am very impressed with your setup, the combo CLAS + RxMK3.
Don't mind if you can share your real experience what are the significant improvement in sound quality "with" and "without" the CLAS DAC?post #35 of 618/21/12 at 6:10ampost #36 of 619/5/12 at 7:26amQuote:Originally Posted by John0405
Ken, you seem to say, and also I gathered from others, that the fostex is leaner and colder than the clas+ amp.
With my miracles, I think I'm gonna end up with a shrilling sound with not enough bass to my taste if paired with fostex. You convinced me. I'll keep my pico slim, buy the clas, and later sell the pico to get the sr71b. That's the plan. Thx
Sometimes THIS can mean that the amp isn't colouring the music, that the amp is letting you hear the source more accurately.
I rather prefer an amp that isn't "opinionated" about how I hear the music, I am considering this Fostex myself for that reason.
I was pleased to see someone remark to it's transparency!
gotta love HeadFi. you can find an answer to EVERYTHING.post #37 of 619/6/12 at 12:08ampost #38 of 619/6/12 at 12:10amThread Starterpost #39 of 619/6/12 at 8:37amQuote:Ken, you seem to say, and also I gathered from others, that the fostex is leaner and colder than the clas+ amp.
With my miracles, I think I'm gonna end up with a shrilling sound with not enough bass to my taste if paired with fostex. You convinced me. I'll keep my pico slim, buy the clas, and later sell the pico to get the sr71b. That's the plan.
Interesting thread. I am currently using the Clas with the Pico Slim and UM Miracles and Ipod Classic and very pleased but if I was to change the amp I would also consider the SR71B - I have not been able to determine from these forums whether this would represent much of an improvement as the Pico Slim is such a good amp and I have not seen any comments from users who have moved from a slim to a sr71b with this combo.post #40 of 619/6/12 at 8:41amThread StarterI'd also be very interested in such a comparison. Having the fostex paired with miracles, this would be more than interesting to me. I also find the Amp section of the fostex lacks somehow in punch — in mids and bass...post #41 of 619/6/12 at 9:38amQuote:
I have miracle too and drive with RS 71 B and as source i use Iphone 4 S , this set up is very good synergie .
For more detail I use my Fostex Hp 1 as DAC and connect with mini to mini to my RS 71 B , you become more detail and wider soundstage and better bass impact .post #42 of 619/8/12 at 10:59am
I have my CLAS paired with my L3! liking it alot, haven't heard the HP-P1?and not even considering one, as I am ssooo happy with the CLAS at this point, no upgradeitis bug biting yet? and I am very suseptible to their bitings!
but am cosidering the Merlin hybrids? I have a set of the W4s, and ASG-1.2s, and love going back and forth with them, one week on one week off! oh and I still adore having the ZOv1 added into the mix aswell, huge soundstages with either IEM! deluxe detail, and excellent instrumnet seperation!
have to get some customs soon? that way I can justify the small fortune that I have invested into my audio since lurking here on Head-Fi, buwa ha ha ha ha! lol, simply deliciosly evil!
Edited by ANDEROAN - 9/8/12 at 11:02ampost #43 of 619/9/12 at 4:29pmpost #44 of 619/10/12 at 2:59pmI am on a business trip at moment and over the weekend tested my rig with and without the CLAS. Rig is unique melody miracles, iPod classic, Pico slim and Clas solo. All music is ripped lossless.
For me, it is a significant difference when the Clas is removed and I am surprised to read comments of some on this forum that argue there is not a significant difference. To me at least it is close to a night and day difference with the Clas in the chain. Overall far better sound quality, soundstage, transparency, tone, detail.post #45 of 619/10/12 at 4:24pmQuote:
For me, it is a significant difference when the Clas is removed and I am surprised to read comments of some on this forum that argue there is not a significant difference. To me at least it is close to a night and day difference with the Clas in the chain. Overall far better sound quality, soundstage, transparency, tone, detail.
I have the same "night and day" experiences with the CLAS adding significant improvement in sound quality. I no longer omit the CLAS from any rig save for when I'm at the gym with my Nano 6 + RSA Shadow + Klipsch X10.......adding the CLAS would just look silly.....but I have tried it with this very small rig and the differences in sound quality are still amazing. This is a true class product.
- Clas or fostex ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Appreciation Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 1 minute ago
- › M-Audio HDH 50 / AKAI AP-HPH-002 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 8 minutes ago
- › Solid Headphones For Gaming, $150 limit. 8 minutes ago
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › Burson Audio - Conductor SL 9018 - Headphone Amp and DAC by ag8908
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by Ultramus
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Skullcandy Fix In Ear Headphone With 3 Button Remote - White / Chrome by killeraxemannic
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob