Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics AS-2's - Like being a kid in a candy store with a bag full of quarters
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics AS-2's - Like being a kid in a candy store with a bag full of quarters - Page 19

post #271 of 289
It's pretty normal to wait a couple months for customs to be finished up, regardless of the company.
post #272 of 289
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSonicSmith View Post

It has been a month since I paid for a pair of AS-2s.

The good news; the Aurisonics folks are quite friendly and responsive to inquiries.

The bad-patience is required. It appears I will be fortunate if mine are done within the next four weeks.

Enjoy them man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

Hi there,

While all custom iems require a wait and Aurisonics seems to be doing a ton of business, the best news is that it's worth the wait.

This is truly an annoyance. Maybe a company will figure out the way to manage this all better. But alas, it is pretty consistent around the CIEM world. It's just something for now that we all have to live with. 

 

BTW, do remember that just because they get your impressions one day does not mean they scan it in right away. So your counting may be slightly off. 

post #273 of 289

Well, my AS-2s just arrived. I received a very nice message from Andy at Aurisonics apologizing all over himself for the delay.

The wait was worth it!

I am listening to Chuck Prophet's Dreaming Waylon's Dreams ripped lossless on my iPhone and grinning ear to ear. I can't imagine how good these would sound with a better travel source like an A+K, or even a humble Fiio.

I am new to IEMs but not new to headphonia-I own an assortment of top tier phones including the Audeze LCD-2s with Silver Dragons from Drew and a Violectric V200 and this is at a whole new level of SQ.

Perhaps with time the novelty of ambient isolation will wear off, but hopefully not.

My only gripe right now is that I needed to remove the Otter Case from my iPhone to accommodate the block-y RCA pin.

All told-WOW! I am a happy camper.

post #274 of 289

Congrats.  As a fellow owner of the AS-2, have you tried the Silver Dragon v1 cables with it?  Very nice combo.

post #275 of 289

I have the ASG2.2 and couldn't get past the fact that the bass was on the muddy side. I noticed when I turned the right headphones bass control fully clockwise and the left headphones bass fully counterclockwise that the muddiness was gone. I can't explain this, but now the headphones are world class. I am using the HIFIMAN 901. My nephew has the same phones and his sounds best just the opposite. Right headphone counter and left full clockwise.

post #276 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwm48324 View Post

I have the ASG2.2 and couldn't get past the fact that the bass was on the muddy side. I noticed when I turned the right headphones bass control fully clockwise and the left headphones bass fully counterclockwise that the muddiness was gone. I can't explain this, but now the headphones are world class. I am using the HIFIMAN 901. My nephew has the same phones and his sounds best just the opposite. Right headphone counter and left full clockwise.

With the nozzle down towards you on both sides and bass valve facing up:

Right side clockwise will close the port.

Left side counterclockwise will close the port.

Perfectly normal. Enjoy.

Edit: can't explain the nephew lol. Maybe you guys aren't holding them in the same orientation when you turn the port?
Edited by vwinter - 9/13/13 at 5:58pm
post #277 of 289
So, a little update for everyone; I was able to pry my AS-2 out of my ear holes long enough to have my stealth finish repaired/reapplied. Wow, what a difference! The new finish, after a couple of weeks of hard use, is showing no signs of bubbling or pealing that I experienced previously. They look smooth and beautiful. The new stealth finish looks like it is built for the long haul, so any who were nervous should waylay their fears and embrace these beautiful headphones!

I will post photos of the new finish tomorrow... Too much work to do tonight...
post #278 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeeeric View Post
 

Has anyone been able to compare these to some JH16's or JH13's?
 

Flysweep, whose review led me to buy the AS2(which I still love!) told me his AS2's have stayed in the drawer for months since he got his JH13's.   He said it will be hard going back to that "warm" AS2 sound.    Apparently the JH are a different signature and his favorite signature:  "effortless, detailed slightly warm resolution".   That may be my next IEM, however, used they are over $500 at best and then they have to be reshelled.   You may want to check out Eke's thread which is not quite as focused as this one but which I'm subscribed to because of its quality, excellent comparisons to other IEM's and non-fanboyish flavor:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/664613/review-aurisonics-asg-2-plus-comparisons-added-er4s

post #279 of 289
Originally Posted by soundbear View Post
 

Flysweep, whose review led me to buy the AS2(which I still love!) told me his AS2's have stayed in the drawer for months since he got his JH13's.   He said it will be hard going back to that "warm" AS2 sound.    Apparently the JH are a different signature and his favorite signature:  "effortless, detailed slightly warm resolution".   That may be my next IEM, however, used they are over $500 at best and then they have to be reshelled.   You may want to check out Eke's thread which is not quite as focused as this one but which I'm subscribed to because of its quality, excellent comparisons to other IEM's and non-fanboyish flavor:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/664613/review-aurisonics-asg-2-plus-comparisons-added-er4s

 

Yep.. the AS-2's bass lift is more mid-bass focused.. while the JH13's bass lift is sub-bass focused.  The AS-2 is a midcentric phone, IMO.. while the JH13 has a very slightly recessed midrange (but it's bursting with resolution, so nothing gets hidden, lost, or irretrievable).  The AS-2 mids are comparatively more lush.. while the JH13's mids, IMO, balance lushness & dryness nearly perfectly.. there's an ethereal sense of warmth across the JH13's mids, too.. but it's so delicate and subtle that it feels like something in your peripheral vision: it's there.. you sense it.. but it's almost fleeting, i na way

 

The AS-2 will sound warmer and more intimate, as well.  The JH13's effortless quality with which it presents dynamics and detail reminds me more of planars than dynamic driver-based phones (sans the HD800).. phones like the UERM remind me of e-stats more than dynamic driver phones.. so that's why I have (and love) these the UERM & JH13.. they're reminiscent of other very exciting driver technology.  I still love the AS-2 as well, but admittedly, it hasn't gotten much use as of late.

post #280 of 289

I feel the same with my AS-2.  I'm curious if you had to make only one purchase knowing what you personally know now, which one would you choose between the UERM and the JH13pro?

post #281 of 289
Originally Posted by alpha421 View Post
 

I feel the same with my AS-2.  I'm curious if you had to make only one purchase knowing what you personally know now, which one would you choose between the UERM and the JH13pro?

 

That's a question I've been asked many times.. and after using those two customs as much as I have.. I still can't make a choice!

post #282 of 289

Let's put a hypothetical twist to your decision making process:  

 

You're dead broke and you've been bitten by a copperhead while walking and there's no other human in sight for miles.  A stranger suddenly appears and he tells you, "I have the antidote, but it'll cost either your JH13pro or UERM.  So which one is it going to be?"  You have nothing else on you worth selling or giving away as all your organs have been diseased.  You're literally dying and the thoughts of loved ones and friends are slowly fading to black. 

 

So, what's it going to be?

post #283 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha421 View Post

Let's put a hypothetical twist to your decision making process:  

You're dead broke and you've been bitten by a copperhead while walking and there's no other human in sight for miles.  A stranger suddenly appears and he tells you, "I have the antidote, but it'll cost either your JH13pro or UERM.  So which one is it going to be?"  You have nothing else on you worth selling or giving away as all your organs have been diseased.  You're literally dying and the thoughts of loved ones and friends are slowly fading to black. 

So, what's it going to be?

This is an amazing question lol. Also awaiting the answer.
post #284 of 289
Originally Posted by alpha421 View Post
 

Let's put a hypothetical twist to your decision making process:  

 

You're dead broke and you've been bitten by a copperhead while walking and there's no other human in sight for miles.  A stranger suddenly appears and he tells you, "I have the antidote, but it'll cost either your JH13pro or UERM.  So which one is it going to be?"  You have nothing else on you worth selling or giving away as all your organs have been diseased.  You're literally dying and the thoughts of loved ones and friends are slowly fading to black. 

 

So, what's it going to be?

 

hahaha.. nicely phrased, alpha... talk about raising the stakes!  The thing is, I'd probably hesitate long enough that I'd die first...hahaha.  Flysweep's medical records would read..

 

CAUSE OF DEATH: WAFFLING.

 

(along with a picture of me.. deceased.. with a JH13 bud in one ear.. and a UERM bud in the other).

 

:tongue_smile:

 

In all seriousness.. I'd probably have to give up the UERM.  The JH13 "technically" suits a lot of the music I listen to a little better (hip hop, electronica, DnB, etc.).. but I enjoy the UERM with these same genres just as much.  The JH13 is a little more resolving, as well.. but the UERM's tonal purity is godly.

 

*sigh*

 

Fingers crossed that I'll never have to make such a decision... especially under the utterly harrowing situation Alpha laid out !

post #285 of 289

Give up the JH13!!!  or the UERM???     What's the for sale price????


Edited by soundbear - 12/28/13 at 5:59am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics AS-2's - Like being a kid in a candy store with a bag full of quarters