- 7,667 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Greater Cincinnati area
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 12/5/12 at 2:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 1/20/13 at 2:22am in High-end Audio Forum
- Recommendations: Tube amp for HD800, <$2,000? Last post on 9/18/12 at 3:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good Amp for Denon D7000 Last post on 3/25/13 at 3:28am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for a noob that likes to only buy once...? Last post on 9/30/12 at 5:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Edited on 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideEdited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
Overview: The Beats Pro is the Beats' top-of-the-line model, with a lofty price tag of $400. However, its price, along with Beats' reputation with being a hated-on brand, hides the fact that...
I got these straight from Japan via Tenso right as Dsnuts got the hype train rolling last fall. Bought 3 pairs, of which I gave one to a colleague (yes,they are so inexpensive you can just give...
The full review can be seen http://www.head-fi.org/t/634760/resonessence-labs-concero-discussion-review-thead/630#post_9465130
Reposting my original review from Amazon.com - these headphones are just too good to be left in the dustbin of history - for instance, I just bought a pair of Monoprice MEP-933, listed everywhere...
Somehow, the Ballad of Jed Clampett comes to mind, as I start to write this. You know, the Beverly Hillbillies. He was living his life, struck gold, and everything changed. That's kind of what...
Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? - Page 3post #31 of 2077/21/12 at 8:06pmUsed HE-6 & $500 speaker amp.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 2077/21/12 at 8:11pmQuote:
It has to be a taste issue, to me the O2 outclasses the LCD-2 (and 3) hands down. Personally, I'd take the STAX w/WEE+stereo amp over any of the Audeze `phones.
That would be a winner too.post #33 of 2077/21/12 at 8:17pmpost #34 of 2077/21/12 at 8:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by LCfiner
I hate to piggyback but I have to agree with Solude. I owned that exact combo of an O2 mk1 and The Woo GES. It was really good with a lot of things (clarity, tonality, imaging) but lacked dynamic impact. (either not enough power from the GES or just a limitation of the O2).
For that kind of serious money (just under 3k used), I would rather have the LCD3 and a really good amp. or, if looking for a brighter, more spatious sound, the HD800.Quote:
You can add me to this list as well. IMO, both the LCD-2r2 and especially the LCD-3 outclass the SR007s (never quite sounded "right" to my ears).post #35 of 2077/21/12 at 8:35pmQuote:
I've not heard an LCD-2 or 3 that sounded "right" either. *shrug*
OP, another option is the Koss ESP/950. Less than $700 gets you a fantastic set of stats with a pretty decent amp. Add a STAX cable adapter for relatively little cash and you'd have even more amps to choose from.post #36 of 2077/21/12 at 8:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by Magick Man
I've not heard an LCD-2 or 3 that sounded "right" either. *shrug*
OP, another option is the Koss ESP/950. Less than $700 gets you a fantastic set of stats with a pretty decent amp. Add a STAX cable adapter for relatively little cash and you'd have even more amps to choose from.
You might want to read the topic of this thread.
FWIW, I've yet to hear any estat (headphone or speaker) sound real.post #37 of 2077/21/12 at 9:10pm
I did. Just pointing out other options, I figured there wasn't any harm in that.Quote:FWIW, I've yet to hear any estat (headphone or speaker) sound real.
That's unfortunate, the 009 + WES is drop-dead stunning.post #38 of 2077/21/12 at 9:12pmQuote:
I do hold out hope for the SR009 though....still on my "must hear soon" list.post #39 of 2077/22/12 at 1:28pmpost #40 of 2077/22/12 at 3:16pm
Just tossing my 2 cents-
Some prefer the LCD2s over the LCD3s but most prefer the LCD3s. If possible listen to both, or at least read the comparisons to get a feel for which you'll prefer. My thought is get the headphone with the sound signature you prefer and build around it. You can always upgrade a source/amp, but if you have to replace headphones, you'll probably have to replace the whole setup because your old source/amp won't maximize your new headphone.
I recently got LCD-3s and I'm trying to build my setup in phases. There is supposed to be great synergy between them and the alo rx-mk3b, which is a $650 amp and soon to bemy next purchase. I figure it'll hold me over until I do the research/can spend the megabucks on a premiere amp, and when I resell it, I won't lose too much because its not super expensive in the 1st place, and should be in high demand (it's gotten a lot of really good reviews).
My $.02post #41 of 2077/22/12 at 3:35pmI would go for the LCD-2 with more expensive amp. The LCD-2 is a great sounding phone and you'll appreciate it more with a great amp. If the urge to upgrade to the LCD-3 hits in the future, you'll be ready.post #42 of 2077/22/12 at 6:37pmThread Starter
Everybody, thank you for all the input. Seems like LCD-3 seems to be getting the vote. I truly appreciate all the input/advice. I totally agree that in an ideal world I would be able to listen to as many combos as possible before buying. But unfortunately, there aren't many options where I live in Florida. I had planned to head to CanJam last year, but family/work intervened. So I have spent the last 6 months reading and learning. I feel strongly that my listening bias will fit nicely in the Audeze family.
At this point, I have taken one part out the equation. I joined the "Pre-Order" for the Schiit Mjolnir. At $750 it was just too tempting to not try. I figured if doesn't work out it will quickly disappear in the classifieds. Also I suspect we will get some quick feedback from fellow board members about how they compare to the other options many other people have mentioned in this thread. And finally it will be a good preview of what Schiit's statement amp might be like.
It will also let me take advantage of The Cable Co lending problem (big thanks to Gary, did not know about that). Hopefully I can get the LCD-2 and LCD-3 at the house at the same time and let them battle it out. Cable Co prices seem to be in line with everybody else, so the 5% deposit is no real penalty.
Speaking of CanJam, any idea if this will happen with RMAF this year?
Edited by cogt3 - 7/22/12 at 6:47pmpost #43 of 2077/22/12 at 7:14pm
The Mjolnir could very well wipe the floor with a ton of amps. Guess we'll know very soon. I'm hoping to get in on the post pre-order batch. Need to clear some inventory first ;)post #44 of 2077/22/12 at 7:47pmThread StarterQuote:
I have read through a lot of your amp posts and honestly that's who I was thinking of. I figured you would get ahold of one soon and let us know how they compare
And the idea of a future version that will let you switch from pure ss to hybrid tube/ss really piques my interest. I figured the mjolnir will let try the house sound.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhpost #45 of 2077/22/12 at 8:13pm
Edit: Changing my post in order to meet nigeljames's thread post specifications, as dictated in the below post.Quote:Originally Posted by nigeljames
Yes it pisses me off when someone declares a certain amp as being the absolute best for a particular phone.
Even if that person had heard ALL the contenders it would still only be their opinion in one system. My Master-6 is stunning with the LCD2.2 but I am not going to say its the best.
IMO, If it's an LCD-3 you're after, IMO you won't find a better amp than the Cavalli Liquid Fire to drive it, IMO. IMO, the rub is, MSRP is over $3k. IMO, If you can find both the headphones and the amp used, you might be able to scrape by for just under $4k, IMO.
IMO, I'm with Currawong IMO. IMO, I'd extend the budget a bit IMO. IMO, it's worth it IMO.
Edited by sridhar3 - 7/23/12 at 8:07am
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Jant71's take on the new ATH-CLR100 Pg... 21 seconds ago
- › Beats Mixr Vs Beats Studio... Opinions Out Of The Two? 2 minutes ago
- › HD598 still the King for Gaming? 5 minutes ago
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › KOSS UR40: PERFECT! 6 minutes ago
- › I Basso HDP R 10 is IBasso DX 100 Japan Version impression and... 7 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › IC: Melbourne Meet Sunday 16/6/13 10 minutes ago
- › Control Specialties: Industrial Steam Boilers 11 minutes ago
- › Headphone Sightings 2 11 minutes ago
- › Beats Pro (High Performance Professional Headphones From... by thatBeatsguy
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by esmBOS
- › Resonessence Labs Concero by planx
- › Philips in-Ear Headphones Crystal Sound SHE9620/28 (Rose Gold) by DozerCSX
- › Sony MDR-NC40 Noise Canceling Headphone (Black) by UmustBKidn
- › Sennheiser Momentum by iSennheiser
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40FS Precision StudioPhones by UmustBKidn
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe