Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for some headphones for gaming/music
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for some headphones for gaming/music

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

I'm looking for some cans for gaming, music and some movies (though quite a bit of youtube, other streaming sites etc).  My budget is around £60 but can go up an extra tenner if needed.  I don't currently have a sound card (using onboard on a P8P67 PRO), but I'll probably be getting one after I've gotten a pair of nice cans so within the next 2 months.  I mostly listen to hip hop/rap/metal but also some stuff from a lot of different genres.  I play some shooters, Fallout/Mass Effect style RPGs, portal puzzle type games etc.  I'm not sure what type I would want, I've already got in-ears for non-computer use.  The open ones should be ok as long as they're not audible from 10+ metres, or in nearby rooms.  I've been recommended the following:

 

Sony MDR-XB500

Sony MDR-XB700 - I've been told they've got a lot more bass than the 500s but it reacts well to EQ and it shouldn't be a problem (can anyone back that up?)

Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Added benefit of not needing a sound card at a later date + a microphone, but how well does it stand up for non-gaming use?  Also won't work with my 360, but I don't use it much so it's not much of a bother

Creative Aurvana Live!

 

Does anyone have any recommendations?  I've been liking the XB700s as they appear comfy (with my current ones I get annoyed after having them on for close to two hours, might be because they're **** though), but the bass isn't too overpowering if I mess with the equalizer is it?  The corsair's mic isn't needed that much as I can buy a clip on one.  I have no idea about the last one.  Or if you have any others to recommend for about £60.  Thanks.

post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost4468 View Post
I'm looking for some cans for gaming, music and some movies (though quite a bit of youtube, other streaming sites etc).  My budget is around £60 but can go up an extra tenner if needed.  I don't currently have a sound card (using onboard on a P8P67 PRO), but I'll probably be getting one after I've gotten a pair of nice cans so within the next 2 months.  I mostly listen to hip hop/rap/metal but also some stuff from a lot of different genres.  I play some shooters, Fallout/Mass Effect style RPGs, portal puzzle type games etc.  I'm not sure what type I would want, I've already got in-ears for non-computer use.  The open ones should be ok as long as they're not audible from 10+ metres, or in nearby rooms.  I've been recommended the following:

Sony MDR-XB500

Sony MDR-XB700 - I've been told they've got a lot more bass than the 500s but it reacts well to EQ and it shouldn't be a problem (can anyone back that up?)

Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Added benefit of not needing a sound card at a later date + a microphone, but how well does it stand up for non-gaming use?  Also won't work with my 360, but I don't use it much so it's not much of a bother

Creative Aurvana Live!

Does anyone have any recommendations?  I've been liking the XB700s as they appear comfy (with my current ones I get annoyed after having them on for close to two hours, might be because they're **** though), but the bass isn't too overpowering if I mess with the equalizer is it?  The corsair's mic isn't needed that much as I can buy a clip on one.  I have no idea about the last one.  Or if you have any others to recommend for about £60.  Thanks.

Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card

Samson SR850 semi-open headphones.

Total might be a little over your budget.

But it's the cheapest price for decent sound.

post #3 of 6
My pick for gaming is open/velour-padded headphones - they don't heat up over time. That said, the CAL! are probably a good choice, along with a soundcard (does the integrated solution you have bleed noise? before we replace it, might as well try it). I'm not aware of any good velour/open cans in your price range - the ATH-AD700 are a popular suggestion, but I haven't tried them, so I'm not going to suggest them.
post #4 of 6

If you're in the uk you can find the Jvc HARX700/900 within your price range. Both will suit you well, the 900's are more bassy though. 

post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card

Samson SR850 semi-open headphones.

Total might be a little over your budget.

But it's the cheapest price for decent sound.

 

As I already said, I'd rather spend more on headphones now and then buy the sound card in a month or two than buy both now and have weaker headphones.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

My pick for gaming is open/velour-padded headphones - they don't heat up over time. That said, the CAL! are probably a good choice, along with a soundcard (does the integrated solution you have bleed noise? before we replace it, might as well try it). I'm not aware of any good velour/open cans in your price range - the ATH-AD700 are a popular suggestion, but I haven't tried them, so I'm not going to suggest them.

 

I'm thinking about the CAL but it seems to lack a lot of build quality.  And the ATH-AD700 lacks bass.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio-fi View Post

If you're in the uk you can find the Jvc HARX700/900 within your price range. Both will suit you well, the 900's are more bassy though. 

 

I looked at them but apparently your ears get hot easily.  I'm easily bothered by headphones and would like them to be wearable for 3-4 hours, which is why I liked the XB700's, but I'm worried they'll be too bassy.

post #6 of 6
If you want something that can wear for hours and hours on end, something like the AD700 is where you should look (and I mention these because all of the "peers" I'd suggest are OOP). Don't make judgments on SQ (about any can) without hearing them; you'll cut yourself short.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for some headphones for gaming/music