Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Is it true that modded T50RP's (specifically LFF's Paradox mod) is comparable to high end headphones such as the LCD2?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is it true that modded T50RP's (specifically LFF's Paradox mod) is comparable to high end... - Page 19

post #271 of 283

Experimented this weekend with running my Paradox from the speaker outputs of my Musical Fidelity A1 amp (about 35 watts of class A power). This amp is what I use in my hi fi speaker system. I first checked to make sure the negative terminals share a common ground, as I would be running the headphone in single ended mode. I used a Y cable I had, with a 1/8" plug on one end, and a pair of rca plugs on the other end. Kinda butchered the wire to get bare wires where the rcas once were and used a coupler between the jack and my headphone cable. Started the volume (out of my Oppo BDP-105) at "1" (didn't know what to expect!). I just kept cranking it, past "30" and even up into the "40" range. My only experience with the Paradox has been with an O2/Odac combination, as well as from the Oppo headphone output, which comes directly off the internal Sabre Dacs. Over my A1 amp, all I can say is Holy Crap! It's almost overwhelming. I listened again the next day just to make sure I was not hallucinating......I wasn't. I'm rather new to the headphone scene (I have had some nice Stax Lambda setups over the years, with tube and solid state amps), but I have been into audio since the mid '70s, and have had more equipment than I care to list here, including  speakers such as Quads, Magneplanars, LS3/5As, Spendors, etc. I have to say, this combination of the Paradox and my Musical Fidelity A1 amp is one of, if not THE best home audio systems I have had. I do need to say that I am using ripped files (lossless format) played through the Oppo BDP 105 player, directly into the A1 amp. I am not recommending anyone try this unless you know your amp's negative terminals share a common ground, if you are not using a balanced cable. And I don't know how other amps may respond to the headphone load. Maybe I just lucked out with this combo. But I have been spoiled to listen to them any other way...

post #272 of 283

Very similar to my setup...   ;-)

post #273 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

 

True the LCD2 use to be Audeze's flagship, now its been pushed to mid-fi, it's a matter of time until $1k headphone will be considered low-fi here. :(

I guess I should go and purchase some $5k Stax to keep my sanity in the high-end game.rolleyes.gif

Honestly I don't think bass heavy headphones should ever be considered high-end summit-fi grade. Neutral is the only way something can be considered summit-fi imo :)

post #274 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG52 View Post

Experimented this weekend with running my Paradox from the speaker outputs of my Musical Fidelity A1 amp (about 35 watts of class A power). This amp is what I use in my hi fi speaker system. I first checked to make sure the negative terminals share a common ground, as I would be running the headphone in single ended mode. I used a Y cable I had, with a 1/8" plug on one end, and a pair of rca plugs on the other end. Kinda butchered the wire to get bare wires where the rcas once were and used a coupler between the jack and my headphone cable. Started the volume (out of my Oppo BDP-105) at "1" (didn't know what to expect!). I just kept cranking it, past "30" and even up into the "40" range. My only experience with the Paradox has been with an O2/Odac combination, as well as from the Oppo headphone output, which comes directly off the internal Sabre Dacs. Over my A1 amp, all I can say is Holy Crap! It's almost overwhelming. I listened again the next day just to make sure I was not hallucinating......I wasn't. I'm rather new to the headphone scene (I have had some nice Stax Lambda setups over the years, with tube and solid state amps), but I have been into audio since the mid '70s, and have had more equipment than I care to list here, including  speakers such as Quads, Magneplanars, LS3/5As, Spendors, etc. I have to say, this combination of the Paradox and my Musical Fidelity A1 amp is one of, if not THE best home audio systems I have had. I do need to say that I am using ripped files (lossless format) played through the Oppo BDP 105 player, directly into the A1 amp. I am not recommending anyone try this unless you know your amp's negative terminals share a common ground, if you are not using a balanced cable. And I don't know how other amps may respond to the headphone load. Maybe I just lucked out with this combo. But I have been spoiled to listen to them any other way...

 

You are not alone. There is actually a Speaker amp for Headphones thread or two on this forumwink.gif

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649107/speaker-amps-for-headphones

post #275 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

Honestly I don't think bass heavy headphones should ever be considered high-end summit-fi grade. Neutral is the only way something can be considered summit-fi imo :)

That's nonsense.

 

If that is the rule of thumb then cans like TH900 would not be in this forum; they have measurably more bass than either LCD2 or HE500.

 

Summit-fi is about commitment to high-end gear, it's not about preference any tonal balance.

post #276 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

That's nonsense.

 

If that is the rule of thumb then cans like TH900 would not be in this forum; they have measurably more bass than either LCD2 or HE500.

 

Summit-fi is about commitment to high-end gear, it's not about preference any tonal balance.

Well I said imo, I've heard opinions that were much more ludicrous than that.

 

My preference lies with a neutral sound (says a HE-400 owner). Ok so what I meant by summit-fi is the best sounding gear possible. Not perse the most expensive gear. I'd say most professional audio people would agree with me though. Buying something that expensive that portrays a caricature of the music should not be considered better than than all others. I listened to the lcd2/lcd3, and they do a fine job portraying a bass heavy signature. It doesn't sound like a caricature, but I don't think they are worth $2000, and they shouldn't be considered the best of the best. Even if it's just for the fact that they could never be used in any professional environment. I'll probably be stoned for this, but I do think neutral is the only way to go. 

post #277 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

Even if it's just for the fact that they could never be used in any professional environment. I'll probably be stoned for this, but I do think neutral is the only way to go. 

 

Don't worry about it. Getting stoned on HF should be taken as a badge of honor.


Edited by purrin - 5/5/13 at 11:43am
post #278 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

Don't worry about it. Getting stoned on HF should be taken as a badge of honor.


LOL!

 

 I think those of us who prefer the neutral signature should have our own thread to hide out in.

post #279 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

 

Will there be option or a possibility in the future of you performing the required mods for the Paradox but for other headphones such as the LCD2's? If so, I wouldn't mind donating my pair sometime sooner for the experiment. (Just landed myself 3 LCD2's for modding ;) ).

 

Did you guys ever do that?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

Don't worry about it. Getting stoned on HF should be taken as a badge of honor.

 

Getting stoned + HF is the only way to go, IMO.  biggrin.gif

post #280 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meremoth View Post

 

Did you guys ever do that?

 

Unfortunately no, I spoke too soon with regards to my post (and my short discussion with LFF). The person I dealt with the trade deal was reversed. I have my own modded pair of LCD2's though that opens brings everything a bit forward and soundstage is little bit wider. 

post #281 of 283
Quote:Merryman
Did you guys ever do that?

Get stoned? never.

I knew some peeps who did and it blew them into the weeds.

post #282 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

Get stoned? never.

I knew some peeps who did and it blew them into the weeds.

LOL!

post #283 of 283

ThreAD RESURRECTION!!!!!!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Is it true that modded T50RP's (specifically LFF's Paradox mod) is comparable to high end headphones such as the LCD2?