Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › ALO The National is a work of art - check it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALO The National is a work of art - check it!

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 

ALO-National-Trip35.jpg

(Before I get started, I always post reviews separately from main threads, but especially this time, where The National, is an amp that I feel offers so much for its price, there needs to be some more personal love shown.)

 

In the TouchMyApps review, I called it a new class of portable amp. Here I'll call it a work of art. Really. There are so many ways to compare a portable amp, and so many amps to compare it to, but I think that sound AND polish should play a big role on how you decide to spend your money. 

 

In particular, ergonomics are important. ALO nailed ergonomics. How? In/out ports are split across the amp's face. In the middle is the volume pot and the high/low gain. (The volume pot, by the way, has very good balance and the lowest left/right balanced volume is low enough for sensitive earphones, but quite close to the threshold for certain, sensitive listeners.) You can use big-arse headphone/input plugs and still turn the volume pot and switch to high/low gain with no problem at all.

 

The power plugs into the back so stacking the amp next to a CD player or on your desktop isn't ungainly. 

 

I know that some people will disagree with me, but I am among the crowd that think an audio item that demands a goodly portion of your money should work and look important as well as sound good. Here's honestly where I don't get what ALO did. The National is a work of art. From its font to its boxes and layout in said boxes, it gives the impression of an amp that costs twice as much, almost as if ALO meant it as a signature item. I know they didn't, but they treat it (and by corollary, us the customers) with new levels of respect. 

 

Down to the volume pot and screws, The National employs non-run-of-the-mill (for portable amps that is) parts. 

 

ALO-National-front-back.jpg

 

Sound

You probably care about this. Of course you do. ALO deliver here, though they deliver in one way that surprised me more than the rest. I didn't expect absolute perfection from The National. And I didn't get it. Even without load, it allows a goodly amount of distortion in the signal, and what I will call 'heat' in the midrange shadow of certain instruments. It might be a small delay. Those are intentional marks. ALO designed a 300$ amp to have a sound, which is another mark, not of a 300$ amp, but of one much higher priced. 

 

The VorzAMPduo and VorzAMPpro, for instance, amps that carry much higher prices around the world than the ALO does, are voiced by thick mid ranges and fast, extended highs. Some people insist they are made for pop music, some for jazz and IDM (amazing grouping, eh?). The National overall has a neutral image, but exchanges some neutrality for the above-mentioned heat. That minute delay (heat, remember?) coupled with a clear upper midrange creates the image of space. Images wrap further behind the ear in many cases and slightly forward, to about the eyes. 

 

That mid range section is, under normal driving circumstances, very clear, very articulate. The National is, in that space, an epiphany. Of course there are clearer mids out there and more perfectly neutral frequency responses. But not so many amps give as engaging of a listen. I stand very solidly beside my insistence that The National is an amp that for 300$ will suit perfectly in the living room AND on the go.

 

There is a LOT of power beneath its bonnet. If you are maxing out a pair of headphones with it, you will probably max them out on anything not mains. At 80dB, the DT880 600Ω needs about 50-55% of the volume pot and high gain. It can be pushed to 100% with no distortion. Ditto (distortion) ES10 to about 95% of the volume pot. Both headphones then are over 100dB and sound like small room speakers. 

 

That is power. Most portable amps can kick up over 95dB, but not with that sort of clarity. I'm ready to say that the DT880 600Ω are very close to being perfectly driven by The National, a portable headphone amp. For 300$. Made by a boutique maker.

 

IEM's are not a mixed bag unless you step into Earsonics SM2/JH13Pro territory where crossovers and many drivers play foul by dipping into very low Ω. Remember, not all multi-armatures do that. EM3Pro, SM3, CT7, W4 are driven nearly perfectly by The National. There is about the same amount of hiss as the zO2, which isn't a lot and isn't a little in the grand scheme of things. People with Shure SE530 and Westone UM2 who have sensitive ears may want to steer elsewhere. 

 

Proviso: 

For those of you who head to the TMA review, please note that I've not had time to update the RMAA and other measurement links. I get home lately at around 12AM and am dead. I think tomorrow night I should have time. I'm sorry. I will fix that as soon as I can.

 

Conclusion

Overall, I'm impressed. Very impressed. The National is possibly the best designed and implemented portable amp I've used for any length of time. Bar none. The Rx (MKI) has more impressive playback for any low-Ω headphone and so do a number of other amps. But not overwhelmingly so. For high Ω headphones, The National is firmly one of the best, if not the best in its category, delivering power, firm bass, and a little bit of heat for those of us who want to listen to an amp, too, not just the music. 

 

At headfi, I dub it a work of art. At TouchMyApps, I dub it a new class. I think I'm right on both accounts.


Edited by shigzeo - 5/15/12 at 3:49pm
post #2 of 43

Great review, thanks for sharing with us.

 

What can I say... Sexy design, great build quality, awesome sound... ALO Audio really delivered this time.

post #3 of 43
Thread Starter 

To be honest, I didn't expect anything less, but then I didn't expect the price point to be so competitive. The amp looks and performs like a more expensive amp. It isn't the RX all-out-performance model, but it is pleasing and powerful. I've not really found any amp to deliver such powerful, unbroken signal at that price and scale up so well with higher input power.

post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

To be honest, I didn't expect anything less, but then I didn't expect the price point to be so competitive.

 

The pricing is indeed quite competitive- but I think the increased competition in the mobile amplifier category (witness all of the new mobile amps that have come out in the past few months) forced their hand to a certain extent.

 

I didn't have time to listen to it at the Fujiya AVIC 2012 Spring festival, which was a bummer, but I assume it'll come up for demo at the usual Tokyo retailers soon enough. It's definitely on my list if/when I end up getting headphones that needs that power.

post #5 of 43
Thread Starter 

In terms of perfect match, I find the AT ES10 and DT880 600Ω perfect. I need to go back and check Grado models, but from what I remember, it is a good match. Even K701 is convincing. 

 

You are probably right about being forced to hit that price point. Still, they didn't just make another 300-400$ amp, they made a benchmark in terms of ergonomics, design, and performance.

post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

 

 

Still, they didn't just make another 300-400$ amp, they made a benchmark in terms of ergonomics, design, and performance.

 

Absolutely agreed. I saw the unit in person and it's the best made, best designed mobile amp below $500. I think ALO has the best product design out there right now in this category.

post #7 of 43

Any thoughts on how it sounds paired with UM3x / LCD2? i hope i won't find the hiss too noticeable on my UM3x as i find that they're really sensitive to background hiss.

 

Ahhh can't wait it's delivered on Monday.. based on your pictures and comments, I'm surely gonna appreciate the build quality and design.

post #8 of 43
Thread Starter 

I don't have the LCD-2, but it runs the UM3x very well, similar to the SM3. There is background noise for sure, but not as bad as some other earphone pairs. If you want an amp with almost zero background noise for IEM's you really really have to search long and wide. I haven't given up,but I've put that quest on hold as it just won't happen.

post #9 of 43
Thread Starter 

By the way, HD800 works wonderfully with The National. Had a good long demo recently at a favourite headphone store. There isn't a dynamic headphone I've found that can't get enough power from this amp.

post #10 of 43
Shigzeo, do you wish that The National had charging via USB? That's maybe my one feature request for that amp.
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

ALO-National-Trip35.jpg

(Before I get started, I always post reviews separately from main threads, but especially this time, where The National, is an amp that I feel offers so much for its price, there needs to be some more personal love shown.)

 

In the TouchMyApps review, I called it a new class of portable amp. Here I'll call it a work of art. Really. There are so many ways to compare a portable amp, and so many amps to compare it to, but I think that sound AND polish should play a big role on how you decide to spend your money. 

 

In particular, ergonomics are important. ALO nailed ergonomics. How? In/out ports are split across the amp's face. In the middle is the volume pot and the high/low gain. (The volume pot, by the way, has very good balance and the lowest left/right balanced volume is low enough for sensitive earphones, but quite close to the threshold for certain, sensitive listeners.) You can use big-arse headphone/input plugs and still turn the volume pot and switch to high/low gain with no problem at all.

 

The power plugs into the back so stacking the amp next to a CD player or on your desktop isn't ungainly. 

 

I know that some people will disagree with me, but I am among the crowd that think an audio item that demands a goodly portion of your money should work and look important as well as sound good. Here's honestly where I don't get what ALO did. The National is a work of art. From its font to its boxes and layout in said boxes, it gives the impression of an amp that costs twice as much, almost as if ALO meant it as a signature item. I know they didn't, but they treat it (and by corollary, us the customers) with new levels of respect. 

 

Down to the volume pot and screws, The National employs non-run-of-the-mill (for portable amps that is) parts. 

 

ALO-National-front-back.jpg

 

Sound

You probably care about this. Of course you do. ALO deliver here, though they deliver in one way that surprised me more than the rest. I didn't expect absolute perfection from The National. And I didn't get it. Even without load, it allows a goodly amount of distortion in the signal, and what I will call 'heat' in the midrange shadow of certain instruments. It might be a small delay. Those are intentional marks. ALO designed a 300$ amp to have a sound, which is another mark, not of a 300$ amp, but of one much higher priced. 

 

The VorzAMPduo and VorzAMPpro, for instance, amps that carry much higher prices around the world than the ALO does, are voiced by thick mid ranges and fast, extended highs. Some people insist they are made for pop music, some for jazz and IDM (amazing grouping, eh?). The National overall has a neutral image, but exchanges some neutrality for the above-mentioned heat. That minute delay (heat, remember?) coupled with a clear upper midrange creates the image of space. Images wrap further behind the ear in many cases and slightly forward, to about the eyes. 

 

That mid range section is, under normal driving circumstances, very clear, very articulate. The National is, in that space, an epiphany. Of course there are clearer mids out there and more perfectly neutral frequency responses. But not so many amps give as engaging of a listen. I stand very solidly beside my insistence that The National is an amp that for 300$ will suit perfectly in the living room AND on the go.

 

There is a LOT of power beneath its bonnet. If you are maxing out a pair of headphones with it, you will probably max them out on anything not mains. At 80dB, the DT880 600Ω needs about 50-55% of the volume pot and high gain. It can be pushed to 100% with no distortion. Ditto (distortion) ES10 to about 95% of the volume pot. Both headphones then are over 100dB and sound like small room speakers. 

 

That is power. Most portable amps can kick up over 95dB, but not with that sort of clarity. I'm ready to say that the DT880 600Ω are very close to being perfectly driven by The National, a portable headphone amp. For 300$. Made by a boutique maker.

 

IEM's are not a mixed bag unless you step into Earsonics SM2/JH13Pro territory where crossovers and many drivers play foul by dipping into very low Ω. Remember, not all multi-armatures do that. EM3Pro, SM3, CT7, W4 are driven nearly perfectly by The National. There is about the same amount of hiss as the zO2, which isn't a lot and isn't a little in the grand scheme of things. People with Shure SE530 and Westone UM2 who have sensitive ears may want to steer elsewhere. 

 

Proviso: 

For those of you who head to the TMA review, please note that I've not had time to update the RMAA and other measurement links. I get home lately at around 12AM and am dead. I think tomorrow night I should have time. I'm sorry. I will fix that as soon as I can.

 

Conclusion

Overall, I'm impressed. Very impressed. The National is possibly the best designed and implemented portable amp I've used for any length of time. Bar none. The Rx (MKI) has more impressive playback for any low-Ω headphone and so do a number of other amps. But not overwhelmingly so. For high Ω headphones, The National is firmly one of the best, if not the best in its category, delivering power, firm bass, and a little bit of heat for those of us who want to listen to an amp, too, not just the music. 

 

At headfi, I dub it a work of art. At TouchMyApps, I dub it a new class. I think I'm right on both accounts.

so shigzeo.ur saying that people that se530 should turn away from this amp? well thats a bummer i really wanted this amp with my shure se535

post #12 of 43
Thread Starter 

I'm not saying that. The SE530 is very sensitive as you know. You probably notice the hiss from your player with the SE530. The National has about as much hiss as a Cowon D2 or iPod nano 3G, so it is perfectly fine, just not the absolute quietest of amps. Actually, all modern amps I've used have had as much or slightly more. There are few exceptions. 

 

As for driving resolution, the National does fine with the SE530. The SM2 is a harder to drive earphone than the SE530 by a measurable margin. The SE530 is just a very very hard earphone to love because it is so sensitive. I sold mine because of hiss with everything no matter how much I loved it.

post #13 of 43
Thread Starter 

Hello gkanai,

 

I'm not sure it could be charged via USB. If it could be, it would have to expel much less voltage than it does from the battery. One of the reasons the National can sustain such wonderful resolution at ultra high volumes is that it sucks wall juice and dissipates it well into the headphone output. Ken has always been about good batteries. I don't mind, and in fact, prefer that it can't be powered form USB even though I don't listen to volumes that would require such an output, I'm glad that Ken has provided an amp that uses such power so adroitly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkanai View Post

Shigzeo, do you wish that The National had charging via USB? That's maybe my one feature request for that amp.
post #14 of 43

very nice simplistic design

post #15 of 43

Thanks for the review. Very good looking design.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › ALO The National is a work of art - check it!