how much of a difference is the weight between the normal and the silk cable? and are they both just as flexible?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- New Q French Silk Cable Last post on 4/8/14 at 7:17pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
- Hi End Cables
Q Cable Appreciation Thread - Page 4
I have both and IMHO the weight difference is negligible and the flexibility the same (both being braided litz wire) Only the diameter is slightly wider and gives it a more substantial feel.
Not from stock, no. But there's a real dark brown I've had my eye on. Just EMailed the US distributor to see if she might have some in stock. If not, it would take at least a month to get it from France (she only receives shipments once a month or so) if they have it in stock. Longer if they don't.
As it is now, Q is the actual company. What will happen is that The Audio Guild will become the actual company and Q will be a brand name under The Audio Guild, as will all subsequent ventures.
We haven't added them to the website yet. Just send me a PM.
Is there something about the wiring that would prevent me from just removing the mini-xlr terminations and connecting the q-cable to a random headphone like say grados? Or I guess buying a new cable that doesn't have connections to the phones themselves?
Yes, Steve uses litz cable. Each strand is insulated in a thin film. You won't just be able to solder it up like a regular wire. If your going to reuse the cable, then you need to buy a solder pot to tin the wires. Solder pots start around $141.
Yes, that would be easy enough to do provided you're able to get by using the pre-soldered ends that were removed from the mini-XLR's. Otherwise, if you need to trim one of the wires, then as Brian says, I recommend pre-tinning it using liquid flux and a proper solder pot. Technically the enamel insulation on the litz wires is "solderable," but if you just solder it in place, then all the residue from the insulation gunks up the solder joint. When tinning litz wire in a solder pot, you keep the wire moving so that the residue is left in a "snail trail" behind the wire so that when you come up out of the pot, you've got a nice clean tinned end.
- Q Cable Appreciation Thread
- › Why the Beats Hate? 2 seconds ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 11 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX50 firmware mirror 13 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 35 seconds ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 49 seconds ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 320 IEMs compared (Xiaomi Piston 2 added... 2 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with modded FW intl ver 2 (Latest... 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general... 5 minutes ago
- › IC - Audeze LCD2.2 - Fazor - Includes SE custom cable (maybe trade... 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)