how much of a difference is the weight between the normal and the silk cable? and are they both just as flexible?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- XLR to 1/4 adapter Last post on 7/12/12 at 3:35pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Cable agnostic seeking advice from true believers... Last post on 7/10/12 at 11:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- overpriced cables Last post on 7/13/12 at 6:32pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Links to "upgrade" RCA cables? Last post on 6/15/12 at 10:21pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- New Q French Silk Cable Last post on 4/8/14 at 7:17pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
My video review for those interested: The VS3S is a VSONIC’s latest earphone, and they have made a big claim. That is that these VS3S as well as their brother VSD3(at the current price of...
- Hi End Cables
Q Cable Appreciation Thread - Page 4
I have both and IMHO the weight difference is negligible and the flexibility the same (both being braided litz wire) Only the diameter is slightly wider and gives it a more substantial feel.
Not from stock, no. But there's a real dark brown I've had my eye on. Just EMailed the US distributor to see if she might have some in stock. If not, it would take at least a month to get it from France (she only receives shipments once a month or so) if they have it in stock. Longer if they don't.
As it is now, Q is the actual company. What will happen is that The Audio Guild will become the actual company and Q will be a brand name under The Audio Guild, as will all subsequent ventures.
We haven't added them to the website yet. Just send me a PM.
Is there something about the wiring that would prevent me from just removing the mini-xlr terminations and connecting the q-cable to a random headphone like say grados? Or I guess buying a new cable that doesn't have connections to the phones themselves?
Yes, Steve uses litz cable. Each strand is insulated in a thin film. You won't just be able to solder it up like a regular wire. If your going to reuse the cable, then you need to buy a solder pot to tin the wires. Solder pots start around $141.
Yes, that would be easy enough to do provided you're able to get by using the pre-soldered ends that were removed from the mini-XLR's. Otherwise, if you need to trim one of the wires, then as Brian says, I recommend pre-tinning it using liquid flux and a proper solder pot. Technically the enamel insulation on the litz wires is "solderable," but if you just solder it in place, then all the residue from the insulation gunks up the solder joint. When tinning litz wire in a solder pot, you keep the wire moving so that the residue is left in a "snail trail" behind the wire so that when you come up out of the pot, you've got a nice clean tinned end.
- Q Cable Appreciation Thread
- › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion,... 4 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 9 seconds ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 35 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 37 seconds ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 1 minute ago
- › HD800 Story Telling Time - *Warning* Prepare thyself, not for the... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Best Under $2000 DAC and Phono 1 minute ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 2 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by WavyGravy1
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 710 Trendline Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Marshall Headphones - 'Major' Over Ear (Black) by Kordz
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)