Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 139

post #2071 of 3318
With the LCD2.2, the Mjolnir brings the mids and highs more forward and resolves a lot more detail than the Lyr. However, it also expands the dynamics at the low end. I'm ready to call the LCD2.2 less warm and dark with the Mjolnir + Gungnir, but bright?--No, I wouldn't go that far. There's none of the sibilance or harshness (to me) from excess upper mid/treble energy with the Mjolnir. The LCD2.2 moves from markedly dark and warm with the Lyr to slightly dark and warm--or even sitting on the knife edge between dark and bright, with the Mjolnir.

The Mjolnir doesn't make the LCD2.2 sound thinner than the Lyr, unless you consider the massing of midrange details "thick". In all respects, I consider the Mjolnir as an upgrade from the Lyr. It presents a lot more detail and dynamics across the full spectrum of the LCD2.2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by technica18 View Post

I've been reading some reviews on the Mjolnir and quite a few people mention that it is too bright and one guy even mentioned that it sounds thinner than the Lyr.  Is this true?  I was starting to warm up to the idea going from Lyr+Bifrost to Mjolnir+Gungnir but now I'm not so sure.  The reason for swapping is that I feel the Lyr+Bifrost sounds too thin specially in the mid bass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossliew View Post

Can anyone who's used the MJ extensively confirm that its sound sig is skewed with a mid-range emphasis? Or let's put it this way, is the amp more suitable to playback jazz/vocal/audiophile recordings but not really ideal for classical/hard rock/metal/movie scores?
post #2072 of 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

With the LCD2.2, the Mjolnir brings the mids and highs more forward and resolves a lot more detail than the Lyr. However, it also expands the dynamics at the low end. I'm ready to call the LCD2.2 less warm and dark with the Mjolnir + Gungnir, but bright?--No, I wouldn't go that far. There's none of the sibilance or harshness (to me) from excess upper mid/treble energy with the Mjolnir. The LCD2.2 moves from markedly dark and warm with the Lyr to slightly dark and warm--or even sitting on the knife edge between dark and bright, with the Mjolnir.

+1

 

This.

post #2073 of 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

With the LCD2.2, the Mjolnir brings the mids and highs more forward and resolves a lot more detail than the Lyr. However, it also expands the dynamics at the low end. I'm ready to call the LCD2.2 less warm and dark with the Mjolnir + Gungnir, but bright?--No, I wouldn't go that far. There's none of the sibilance or harshness (to me) from excess upper mid/treble energy with the Mjolnir. The LCD2.2 moves from markedly dark and warm with the Lyr to slightly dark and warm--or even sitting on the knife edge between dark and bright, with the Mjolnir.
The Mjolnir doesn't make the LCD2.2 sound thinner than the Lyr, unless you consider the massing of midrange details "thick". In all respects, I consider the Mjolnir as an upgrade from the Lyr. It presents a lot more detail and dynamics across the full spectrum of the LCD2.2.

You say the LCD-2 becomes les dark and warm with Mjolnir. Does that mean there is a decrease in bass? I'm looking to beef up the sound in the bottom end and mid bass because right now it sounds like a K702 with the highs rolled off.
post #2074 of 3318
There's no decrease in bass--the bass dynamics are increased with the LCD2.2. I wouldn't think of the Lyr>Mjolnir as a simple change in equalization profile--it's much more complex than that. My only experience so far is with the LCD2.2, so I can't say how the K702 will change. You may be better off upgrading your headphone if you aren't happy with the sound profile. I loved the LCD2.2 with the Lyr, but felt like there was some space for the mids and upper mids to get pushed forward. I really didn't know what to expect with the Mjolnir, but thought is was worth trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by technica18 View Post

You say the LCD-2 becomes les dark and warm with Mjolnir. Does that mean there is a decrease in bass? I'm looking to beef up the sound in the bottom end and mid bass because right now it sounds like a K702 with the highs rolled off.
post #2075 of 3318

The Lyr can't compete with Mjolnir on any level, other than tuning of SQ through tube rolling.

 

Mjolnir is huge on dynamics and is very detailed. 

 

I would say upgrade the headphone not the amp, technica18.

I mistakenly read that as you have the K702's. Mjolnir and LCD-2 is a fine combo, indeed.


Edited by paradoxper - 12/12/12 at 7:40pm
post #2076 of 3318

Techica,

 

We are talking about a whole new level in SQ as compared to the lyr.

There is nothing wrong with your LCD's,they are an excellent headphone,still one of the best-imho.

Your will need to adjust to the difference in detail,clrity,smoothness,on almost? ,all genres of music

 

I loved my lyr/bifrost ,and used to adjust my sq,with the 35 pairs of tubes I owned ..the difference was subtle

I dont miss it at all

 

Also,I strongly suggest you get the Gungnir if your going to invest in Mjolnir,to me,it made a serious improvement.

 

You also,could look here:

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

 

and here:

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14

 

Mike

 

 

 

 

Mike

post #2077 of 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

Techica,

 

We are talking about a whole new level in SQ as compared to the lyr.

There is nothing wrong with your LCD's,they are an excellent headphone,still one of the best-imho.

Your will need to adjust to the difference in detail,clrity,smoothness,on almost? ,all genres of music

 

I loved my lyr/bifrost ,and used to adjust my sq,with the 35 pairs of tubes I owned ..the difference was subtle

I dont miss it at all

 

Also,I strongly suggest you get the Gungnir if your going to invest in Mjolnir,to me,it made a serious improvement.

 

You also,could look here:

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

 

and here:

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14

 

Mike

 

 

 

 

Mike

 

OH MY~

they have some little baby schiits now~~~

post #2078 of 3318
Ok, didn't realize technica18 has the LCDs. If you don't like them with the Lyr, the Mjolnir may or may not make a difference. It seems kind of dicey buying an expensive amp to fix perceived shortcomings in a headphone. I'm not sure anyone can guide you here--we're all trying to please an audience of one.
post #2079 of 3318

Unless he specifically wants to fine tune it if he does like the basic sound of the LCD2. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

Ok, didn't realize technica18 has the LCDs. If you don't like them with the Lyr, the Mjolnir may or may not make a difference. It seems kind of dicey buying an expensive amp to fix perceived shortcomings in a headphone. I'm not sure anyone can guide you here--we're all trying to please an audience of one.
post #2080 of 3318

The only amp I had that ramped up bass is the Apex Peak with the right tube.  The problem with being ruler flat is though bass is flat to 20Hz, its not boosted like 'normal' dynamic headphones in the bump bump region.  Going from a Lyr to a Mjolnir won't change that.  It will increase the treble presence some though.

post #2081 of 3318

Why is everyone recommending the Gungnir?  Is this because it was compared to other DACs and won out?  Or is it because it stack pretty with the Mj?  

 

How does it compare to DACs like:

 

Mytek

PWD2

Master 7

Lavry DA11

Metrum Octave

 

And the like?

 

I know these DACs cost more, sure.  But how does it compare on performance along?


Edited by preproman - 12/13/12 at 6:30am
post #2082 of 3318

My impression is that the Gungnir balances out the Mjolnir tonal balance.

post #2083 of 3318

The PWD2 ranks atop of the aforementioned. 

 

I found the Gungnir to be comparable to the DA11 and Mytek.

Have heard the Octave is a giant killer, never heard it. And I've never liked any of Kingwa's products, not prejudice, just bias.

 

But Solude is pretty spot on. Gungnir brings a good bit of balance to Mojo. Plus, the stacks are really, really, really pretty.


Edited by paradoxper - 12/13/12 at 6:48am
post #2084 of 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

The PWD2 ranks atop of the aforementioned. 

 

I found the Gungnir to be comparable to the DA11 and Mytek.

Have heard the Octave is a giant killer, never heard it. And I've never liked any of Kingwa's products, not prejudice, just bias.

 

But Solude is pretty spot on. Gungnir brings a good bit of balance to Mojo. Plus, the stacks are really, really, really pretty.

 

Gotcha..  A bit curious about being compared to the Mytek though and would like to here more outside the stack.  The Mytek seems to be compared to some pretty heavy hitters..

 

http://www.hifi-advice.com/mytek-192DSD-review.html

post #2085 of 3318

Here's what currently holds a good amount of interest for me, besides the Invicta. Sparrow DAC.

 

Seems to be very little as far as reviews. But I've heard very good things from the pro world.


Edited by paradoxper - 12/13/12 at 7:11am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier