A few weeks back I was asking about who would re-cable the DT880 to a balanced setup, but I have been reading up on DIY cable making techniques and am genuinely interested in re-cabling myself but I have a few simple questions that I have not found definitive answers to, but I am assuming that I have the right idea.
1) Can I create a detachable cable similar to the M50 mod that is still balanced as long as it is a duel entry hard-split (separate the left and right side wires rather than single entry) using stereo plugs for each side; will there be any quality loss with a detachable cable?
2) Are there any preferred/desired wire gauges for 600 ohm headphones?
3) Are there only 4 total required conductors; is a ground wire necessary at all for a balanced setup (dual 3 pin has two ground connectors, 4 pin does not have any)? (2 for each side, 1 +L 1 -L 1 +R 1 -R)
All answers are welcome on any of the questions plus additional information.
Also have a list of general items that I will need/want (*University already has a lot of excellent solder guns that I can use) so any additional recommendations/additions are welcome.
- Solder gun*
- 1 insulated quad conductor wire or 2 insulated dual conductor wire or 4 insulated single conductor wire (is either setup better than the others in terms of noise and distortion reduction?)
- One hirose male interconnect
- Dual 1/8" male mono interconnects
- Dual 1/8" female chassis mono interconnects
- Wire sleeve
- Heat shrink
- One wire splitter (hard body splitters, rather than a custom heat shrink splitter)
Edited by N080D7 - 2/24/12 at 9:48am