Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Today at 12:57 am in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Possible to bring mids forward on TH900? Last post on 11/29/15 at 11:37am in High-end Audio Forum
- FS: Fostex T10 & T20 (Vintage Orthodynamics) Last post on 1/27/15 at 1:00pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
The E5 is so close to being a giant killer but it has a few major flaws in my opinion. This is a technically oriented review. I like neutral sound signatures and bit perfect playback. I don't...
"Massdrop Blue Box - NuForce HEM IEMs" special drop pricing = $169.99*; Actual MSRP = $399.00 (I joined the drop on Massdrop and received the HEM6; LINK. You can find these and the other...
Hi All, I was given the chance to review the new Shozy Zero Rosewood earphones in exchange for just a small fee to cover the shipping. I received, as I'm sure some other reviewers did, an...
-- I give you Lend Me UR Ears house brand Alpha & Delta D2 Sports Earphone: **A few Disclaimers to get out of the way here**: #1 – I was approached by Lend Me UR Ears to review the...
I really like the t-90; I have had them for about two months and really enjoy the brightness. I also have the T70p and the t-5p second gen. I like the t70p better than anything so far. The t 90...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 39
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hmm, I've never tried the Denon's for size but that's a bit concerning. My head is quite small, so that my Grado RS2's are at their tightest setting
I'm a pretty diminutive person and the TH900 fits me just fine.
I would most likely enjoy these, but I really don't have two grands to toss away right now just to test these. xD I was obviously interested in how these compare to the ATH-W3000ANV. Sounds like I can live with these. =D
Found a link with lots of pretty TH900 pics and impressions, though I can't translate them (and google translate didnt work) maybe someone can summarize??
The TH900 on the other hand is much more even-tempered, less fussy, less idiosyncratic. It's tonally more balanced and situationally more versatile. Whereas the Qualia has a very strong, abrasive, and almost overwhelming character, the TH900 is more subtle, natural, effortless, and playful.
You have a great vocabulary MuppetFace, I really enjoyed the read of your review... it was a bit challenging but I definitely would like to absorb some of that college professor explanation know-how and use of descriptors.
Do you still prefer the contrasts of the D7000? Those acoustical lips (sticking out) you disliked, were mostly shaven off from the TH900 prototype to the main production:
^Those two^, as a response to:
Sorry, but I laughed so hard! HAHAHAHA :P
Since I bought too many high-end headphones lately, I feel like I need to use them a bit... and buying a headphone superior to them isn't going to help me in doing this. That's why I chose to forget about the TH900 completely...
... to cope with the frustration of wanting to own both the best Grados and a Denon/Fostex flagship, which are the only companies I'm interested in, I simply colored myself and ordered some non-flagship Kotori 201, as my first portable headphone and the Japanese headphone I wanted from that company Fostex... not Denon.
The drivers in my Kotori 201 will be similar but definitely inferior (or "never as refined" as) to those of the TH900
We need to tell apart the micro fiber of the AH-Dx000 line and the newer bio cellulose. Micro fiber in clothing is just a newer machine making use of almost nano-sized synthetic fiber, woven many more times together, and making ultra-durable clothing (it would be like a comparison between a headphone cable and a Cardas Clear). It's for the least "bio-"logicial, and that's what I want to distinguish. It's not a bacterial culture byproduct thing either... those has degraded faster than any other headphone driver diaphragm material with time, happened to some MDR-R10. Only Sony ever used (R10), and still uses this in their SA-5k and -3k... continue reading, my point will be that bio cellulose is not at all like what's in the MDR-R10. This:
is what the Kotori 201 and the TH900 do not use (it has been used in the Fostex made Denons (AH-Dxk), including their AH-D1001 and in the CAL!), as implied by the way Fostex describe their newest material used for these two most recent headphones.
Fostex recently changed, maybe even just the employed words!... or really the material itself, which we all hope is the real change that happened and that it is for the better (I have something against the "bio-"). This is a very recent move. It went from just "Micro Fiber" diaphragm
to "diaphragm bio-dynamic" and "bio-cellulose micro fiber" (making things even more complicated), to quote directly Google Chrome's translation of the Kotori 201 (http://kotori.fostex.jp/201/about/#performance). But it's also part of the official (English) description of the TH900 on Fostexinternational.com
This is what the new era of Fostex will be all about, and I wonder what it is. There's always my hypothesis of the "terminology play around" and that both material are exactly the same thing, but it's a weak hypothesis because micro-fiber is entirely synthetic, and cellulose is entirely biological.
I'm throwing the idea, while stressing that cellulose are the undigestable macro-molecule of the vegetal cells, and that the material is not even remotely linked with the bacterias (in contrast, could be called an "animal" cell) used in making the material (yogurt thing) for the diaphragm of the R10:
I'm not touching to <this<, I have no idea what this "nano composite" thing is, and it seem complicated. But in contrast cellulose should look like brown carton (texturally) in comparison, and is very different from bacterial products:
Bio-cellulose, if we forget about the bio- part ("biological" is included in the definition of cellulose, which is dehydrated celery), will not degrade as quickly... yet, bio-, alive, will always degrade (relatively, but maybe not so much) than (synthetic) plastics, low mass polymers, if you want to call them.
Anyway I will put my Kotori 201 on and try to imagine I'm listening to a TH900... because that's the "one headphone" I would have preferred to every thing else, in the first place... but I ended up building a Grado collection instead and I've got to listen to it now. My logic is abrupt like that, and I live with the errors I make.
A lot is happening (has happened?) with Denon recently, but the release of the TH900, the D7000 reviews featured recently on Head-Fi and on Innerfidelity, and the discontinuation of the Dxk line, are all interlinked. The success of the TH900 might be a deciding factor in the decision to bring to the public and Head-Fi less fancy and more affordable models like a TH700 and/or TH500, 200 etc. I think more and more people will turn themselves to Fostex actually... but I don't know, Denon's new headphone could fare well too, but this is not the thread to talk about this so, sorry, lol.
Edited by devouringone3 - 5/7/12 at 10:17pm
So I hadn't noticed this before, but the concept TH900 had a different wood shape than the production model... I actually like the look of the concept better
If you look carefully you'll notice that the concept has a pronounced protruded design, while the production model is vert subtle.. Don't know if the difference is due to cost cutting or sound enhancement, but kind of a bummer.
Yeah, devouringone3 mentions the "acoustic lip" two posts above.
IMHO the production version looks better. It still has a lip, but a small one that is inset into a slight recess. It affects to overall shape of the cup: there's less of a flat surface versus the prototype.
Oh you're right devouringone3 did mention that, I must have skipped the comment when reading his post.
Well, not having seen the prototype in person, guess its not fair to judge (on my part); just felt that the production model is shaped rather similarly to the D7k, not that its a bad thing. Either way the lacquer gives it a distinctive look.
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 11 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 42 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA... 45 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 1 minute ago
- › FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240... 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1e 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 6 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio "Pro" desktop line discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by vapman
- › NuForce HEM6 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Triple... by Hi-Fi EDU
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by jant71
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by BloodyPenguin
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by glennkresge
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by ryanjsoo
- › Rhapsodio Galaxy by taz23
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse