Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Yesterday at 7:56 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- TH900, New contender for the world-class headphones from Fostex? Last post on 12/20/12 at 9:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? Last post on Today at 9:50 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dual listening: Amp with two headphone outputs Last post on 9/28/14 at 3:31pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Before I begin with my review of the Beyerdynamic XP1, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to try it out or read some other people’s review to get a...
See The Whole Review With Pictures Here: http://db-headphones.blogspot.com ... Oh and ignore the sliders for the audio quality, value etc. I can't edit the slider scoring on mobile. Disclaimer: I...
Disclaimer First of all, huge thanks to Audrey and the Brainwavz team for giving me the opportunity to write this review. Please note that I was not paid to write this review, nor am I...
First, the normal boilerplate stuff - Audio setup - FLAC files in Media Monkey -> Amazon Basics TOSLINK cable -> Schiit Bifrost w/Uber upgrade -> Knukoncept Shielded RCAs -> Project Ember...
Here are my impressions of the Fiio X1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEj0wLE-ojU
Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 39post #571 of 80425/4/12 at 11:40pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #572 of 80425/5/12 at 12:00ampost #573 of 80425/6/12 at 7:31ampost #574 of 80425/6/12 at 9:00ampost #575 of 80425/6/12 at 9:54am
Hmm, I've never tried the Denon's for size but that's a bit concerning. My head is quite small, so that my Grado RS2's are at their tightest settingpost #576 of 80425/6/12 at 10:10amThread StarterQuote:
I'm a pretty diminutive person and the TH900 fits me just fine.post #577 of 80425/6/12 at 10:17ampost #578 of 80425/6/12 at 1:03pm
I would most likely enjoy these, but I really don't have two grands to toss away right now just to test these. xD I was obviously interested in how these compare to the ATH-W3000ANV. Sounds like I can live with these. =Dpost #579 of 80425/6/12 at 2:45pm
Found a link with lots of pretty TH900 pics and impressions, though I can't translate them (and google translate didnt work) maybe someone can summarize??post #580 of 80425/6/12 at 8:20pmpost #581 of 80425/7/12 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by MuppetFace
The TH900 on the other hand is much more even-tempered, less fussy, less idiosyncratic. It's tonally more balanced and situationally more versatile. Whereas the Qualia has a very strong, abrasive, and almost overwhelming character, the TH900 is more subtle, natural, effortless, and playful.
You have a great vocabulary MuppetFace, I really enjoyed the read of your review... it was a bit challenging but I definitely would like to absorb some of that college professor explanation know-how and use of descriptors.Quote:
Do you still prefer the contrasts of the D7000? Those acoustical lips (sticking out) you disliked, were mostly shaven off from the TH900 prototype to the main production:
^Those two^, as a response to:Quote:
Sorry, but I laughed so hard! HAHAHAHA :P
Since I bought too many high-end headphones lately, I feel like I need to use them a bit... and buying a headphone superior to them isn't going to help me in doing this. That's why I chose to forget about the TH900 completely...
... to cope with the frustration of wanting to own both the best Grados and a Denon/Fostex flagship, which are the only companies I'm interested in, I simply colored myself and ordered some non-flagship Kotori 201, as my first portable headphone and the Japanese headphone I wanted from that company Fostex... not Denon.
The drivers in my Kotori 201 will be similar but definitely inferior (or "never as refined" as) to those of the TH900
We need to tell apart the micro fiber of the AH-Dx000 line and the newer bio cellulose. Micro fiber in clothing is just a newer machine making use of almost nano-sized synthetic fiber, woven many more times together, and making ultra-durable clothing (it would be like a comparison between a headphone cable and a Cardas Clear). It's for the least "bio-"logicial, and that's what I want to distinguish. It's not a bacterial culture byproduct thing either... those has degraded faster than any other headphone driver diaphragm material with time, happened to some MDR-R10. Only Sony ever used (R10), and still uses this in their SA-5k and -3k... continue reading, my point will be that bio cellulose is not at all like what's in the MDR-R10. This:
is what the Kotori 201 and the TH900 do not use (it has been used in the Fostex made Denons (AH-Dxk), including their AH-D1001 and in the CAL!), as implied by the way Fostex describe their newest material used for these two most recent headphones.
Fostex recently changed, maybe even just the employed words!... or really the material itself, which we all hope is the real change that happened and that it is for the better (I have something against the "bio-"). This is a very recent move. It went from just "Micro Fiber" diaphragm
to "diaphragm bio-dynamic" and "bio-cellulose micro fiber" (making things even more complicated), to quote directly Google Chrome's translation of the Kotori 201 (http://kotori.fostex.jp/201/about/#performance). But it's also part of the official (English) description of the TH900 on Fostexinternational.com
This is what the new era of Fostex will be all about, and I wonder what it is. There's always my hypothesis of the "terminology play around" and that both material are exactly the same thing, but it's a weak hypothesis because micro-fiber is entirely synthetic, and cellulose is entirely biological.
I'm throwing the idea, while stressing that cellulose are the undigestable macro-molecule of the vegetal cells, and that the material is not even remotely linked with the bacterias (in contrast, could be called an "animal" cell) used in making the material (yogurt thing) for the diaphragm of the R10:
I'm not touching to <this<, I have no idea what this "nano composite" thing is, and it seem complicated. But in contrast cellulose should look like brown carton (texturally) in comparison, and is very different from bacterial products:
Bio-cellulose, if we forget about the bio- part ("biological" is included in the definition of cellulose, which is dehydrated celery), will not degrade as quickly... yet, bio-, alive, will always degrade (relatively, but maybe not so much) than (synthetic) plastics, low mass polymers, if you want to call them.
Anyway I will put my Kotori 201 on and try to imagine I'm listening to a TH900... because that's the "one headphone" I would have preferred to every thing else, in the first place... but I ended up building a Grado collection instead and I've got to listen to it now. My logic is abrupt like that, and I live with the errors I make.
A lot is happening (has happened?) with Denon recently, but the release of the TH900, the D7000 reviews featured recently on Head-Fi and on Innerfidelity, and the discontinuation of the Dxk line, are all interlinked. The success of the TH900 might be a deciding factor in the decision to bring to the public and Head-Fi less fancy and more affordable models like a TH700 and/or TH500, 200 etc. I think more and more people will turn themselves to Fostex actually... but I don't know, Denon's new headphone could fare well too, but this is not the thread to talk about this so, sorry, lol.
Edited by devouringone3 - 5/7/12 at 10:17pmpost #582 of 80425/7/12 at 2:31ampost #583 of 80425/7/12 at 3:41am
So I hadn't noticed this before, but the concept TH900 had a different wood shape than the production model... I actually like the look of the concept better
If you look carefully you'll notice that the concept has a pronounced protruded design, while the production model is vert subtle.. Don't know if the difference is due to cost cutting or sound enhancement, but kind of a bummer.post #584 of 80425/7/12 at 3:46amThread Starter
Yeah, devouringone3 mentions the "acoustic lip" two posts above.
IMHO the production version looks better. It still has a lip, but a small one that is inset into a slight recess. It affects to overall shape of the cup: there's less of a flat surface versus the prototype.post #585 of 80425/7/12 at 4:05am
Oh you're right devouringone3 did mention that, I must have skipped the comment when reading his post.
Well, not having seen the prototype in person, guess its not fair to judge (on my part); just felt that the production model is shaped rather similarly to the D7k, not that its a bad thing. Either way the lacquer gives it a distinctive look.
- Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives... 1 second ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 3 minutes ago
- › Dre Beats Studio DIY teardown and modify question... 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 7 minutes ago
- › [Noob!] Starter PC Audio Set 8 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 8 minutes ago
- › NocturnaL Audio Custom Headphone Cables 10 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 12 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 13 minutes ago
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by aquamacs
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by thatonenoob
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by H20Fidelity
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 by smitty1110
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)