Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out - Page 155

post #2311 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The bass wouldn't satisfy me.
 

 Oh i see what are you going to be using the he-400 for everything like gaming and music or just music?? Just curious becuase i have both pair.. The 500's have bass like some say it all depends on the material your listening to and the 400 has accentuated bass that just comes across as just plain good and  more than enough of it..


Edited by I95North - 7/19/12 at 3:13pm
post #2312 of 6020

I can't speak for Matt but I find the HE-400's bass to be comparable to DT990.  Perhaps not as bloated of a mid-bass, but I think it has more sub-bass.

post #2313 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I can't speak for Matt but I find the HE-400's bass to be comparable to DT990.  Perhaps not as bloated of a mid-bass, but I think it has more sub-bass.

 

That's about spot on. I owned the 600 ohm version and this seems an accurate description.

post #2314 of 6020
Then it should definitely satisfy me, as I love the DT990/600's bass.

I do want an all rounder, and accentuated bass is a must. Most of my genres are EDM anyways, and other uses are movies and gaming.
post #2315 of 6020

Has anyone tried any of the bass listening tests on the HE-400'S??  Just curious

 

 

"http://www.youtube.com/embed/BcyXE5xPbDk"

 

 

Don't keep reaching for the volume knob though lol..

 

Soooooo  SMoooothhhhhhhh

 

and another

 

http://www.youtube.com/embed/5rIn_-GCOlk


Edited by I95North - 7/19/12 at 4:56pm
post #2316 of 6020

Purrin posted pleather vs velour pads measurements (FR and CSD) on the HE400s!

 

It is less evident on the FR graphs, but the CSD plots show the effects clearly, how the velours tame the mids humps and raises the lower treble (cause of "dark" treble) recession, also seems to as well as smoothing out the upper treble. Also bass is nearly unchanged. 

post #2317 of 6020

Good stuff.  I was hoping for less decay with the velours as well, but I guess I wasn't thinking the HE-400 would be such a clean headphone in the first place.  Strange how the fr difference is shown better in the csd and not the actual fr measurement.  Both graphs do show it to minimize the little hump around 1khz, which is what I heard first when I put the velours on.


Edited by TMRaven - 7/19/12 at 4:14pm
post #2318 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Purrin posted pleather vs velour pads measurements (FR and CSD) on the HE400s!

 

It is less evident on the FR graphs, but the CSD plots show the effects clearly, how the velours tame the mids humps and raises the lower treble (cause of "dark" treble) recession, also seems to as well as smoothing out the upper treble. Also bass is nearly unchanged. 

Wow nice find cool. I also will always trust my ears after seeing what the CSD graph shows and knowing that i heard that diff day one after switching out pleathers for velours. 

 

To add there might be some other velour pads out in the wild other than HiFi Man's that give probably a better response plus a benifit of a more plush comfortable fit to the HE-400..

post #2319 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I can't speak for Matt but I find the HE-400's bass to be comparable to DT990.  Perhaps not as bloated of a mid-bass, but I think it has more sub-bass.

How would you compare the treble  of the HE-400 to the DT990?

post #2320 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurr View Post

How would you compare the treble  of the HE-400 to the DT990?

 

Like butter instead of yoghurt.

post #2321 of 6020
The DT990's treble is like a ghost pepper. I would assume the HE400 is like the warm milk you take to comfort your burning tongue.
post #2322 of 6020

For certain songs, HE-400's treble does remind of of DT990's, but not in a bad way.  Even though DT990 had an excessive treble spike, I never thought it was a bad quality treble.  For the most part, the HE-400s will never venture anywhere close to DT990 standards.

 

Also it seems the csd plots for the first measurement and second measurement of the pleather pads Purrin took are a good bit different, but the major theme I guess is the smoother transition from 1khz to 2khz.


Edited by TMRaven - 7/19/12 at 5:20pm
post #2323 of 6020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Good stuff.  I was hoping for less decay with the velours as well, but I guess I wasn't thinking the HE-400 would be such a clean headphone in the first place.  Strange how the fr difference is shown better in the csd and not the actual fr measurement.  Both graphs do show it to minimize the little hump around 1khz, which is what I heard first when I put the velours on.

That's because FR measurements are just pure tone sweeps, but sharp dips in FR are almost always smoothed over when a non-pure tone around that frequency is played, so unless you listen to music with tons of clean pure frequency tones, those are non-issues. In the case of the sharp dips in the lower treble of HE400s, if you compare FR against CSD (which actually traces the FR curve perfectly at time = 0), you can see all of the dips are smoothed and filled out about 0.05 milliseconds after the impulse.

 

False dips that appear in the FR but not in the CSDs are essentially measurement artifacts, because of the nature of how the two measurement methods differ.


Edited by jerg - 7/19/12 at 5:27pm
post #2324 of 6020
That's the one weakness the DT990s have for me. That treble is quite punishing at times.
post #2325 of 6020

When I used the dt990 and the e17, I always dialed the treble down about -6...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out