Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Anyone building a KGSSHV which might eventually be up for sale?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone building a KGSSHV which might eventually be up for sale?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Also, since people who so far heard the KGSSHV are mostly those I assume who built it, I would like to know whether there is a great difference between this amp and the KGSS when it comes to driving the MK2?

 

Many thanks. 

 

Verwandlung


Edited by verwandlung - 11/27/11 at 1:13pm
post #2 of 15

I don't think many people have finished theirs yet. If things go well I should have mine powered on by next weekend... just waiting on some screws. I haven't heard the original KGSS though so I probably won't be much help. There were about 130 boards in the recent group buy, but most people bought 2+. I bought 1 on board and 1 off board because I wasn't sure which way I wanted to build it. I'm not planning to build the second one any time soon but others might be building multiple and selling the extras. I wouldn't go over there and ask if anyone will build you one though, you are liable to be run out of town.

 

There are several differences between the KGSS and KGSSHV. The most obvious is the +/-500 volt rails versus +/-350 on the KGSS. The difference is not just the voltage, the power supply is redesigned and should perform much better. In the amp the input jfets are updated to a lower noise part and a CCS is used in the output stage rather than a resistor. I believe those are the major changes, there may be some more that I am not aware of. You can read much more about it over at the other place.

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

 

I am rather sad that just when I was getting ready to buy the KGSS I learn that Justin is no longer building it and that the amp which is likely to replace it is not available yet, and that it might not be for a while (at least for those who are not able to DIY)! At any rate, I am eager to see what you think about it once it is operational. May I ask you where you will post your first impressions? 

 

Thanks. 

 

 

post #4 of 15

I can put some thoughts here. I am not one for using much flowery audiophool language and all I will be comparing it to will be a srd7 powered by my beta22 so I am not sure how useful it will be.

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg27 View Post

I can put some thoughts here. I am not one for using much flowery audiophool language and all I will be comparing it to will be a srd7 powered by my beta22 so I am not sure how useful it will be.



Still, it would be nice to hear something about it, be it without the “flowery audiophool language.” Looking forward to it.


Edited by verwandlung - 11/27/11 at 8:06pm
post #6 of 15

Is there another group buy? Can I somehow get in on this? I would like a board.

post #7 of 15

Well I got it up and running tonight after some setbacks last week. I've been listening to it for a couple hours now and so far so good - sounds awesome. I'll post a few more thoughts after I've spent some more time with it. 

post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg27 View Post

Well I got it up and running tonight after some setbacks last week. I've been listening to it for a couple hours now and so far so good - sounds awesome. I'll post a few more thoughts after I've spent some more time with it. 



... I am still waiting! wink_face.gif

post #9 of 15

Hmm, well I had posted some impressions in other threads that I was assuming you had read.

 

The KGSSHV is a very good amp, and combined with the SR007 mk1 is the best headphone setup I have heard. Compared to the srd7, bass is more pronounced and well defined, and approaches the quality of bass from the lcd2. The KGSSHV also got rid of a bit of thickness in the midrange and somewhat toned down treble. Out of the srd7 they had a very similar signature and capabilities to the lcd2s, now they clearly surpass it in every area except the deep bass. For the price you can build one of these, around $1000 (although mine was closer to $1500 due to 2 boxes/extras) I can't imagine a better value in electrostatic amplification.

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg27 View Post

Hmm, well I had posted some impressions in other threads that I was assuming you had read.

 

The KGSSHV is a very good amp, and combined with the SR007 mk1 is the best headphone setup I have heard. Compared to the srd7, bass is more pronounced and well defined, and approaches the quality of bass from the lcd2. The KGSSHV also got rid of a bit of thickness in the midrange and somewhat toned down treble. Out of the srd7 they had a very similar signature and capabilities to the lcd2s, now they clearly surpass it in every area except the deep bass. For the price you can build one of these, around $1000 (although mine was closer to $1500 due to 2 boxes/extras) I can't imagine a better value in electrostatic amplification.



Thanks! I doubt very much though that I am going to build one for myself...

 

What you are saying doesn't surprise me. I am still curious to hear about how this amp fairs with the 009 and in comparison with the BHSE. But I know that I'll probably have to wait a few more weeks for that.

post #11 of 15
There may be some hope... have been speaking with an audio manufacturer/designer about taking on a project to build a couple dozen units. Would be similar conceptually to the KGSSHV although I know they have a number of materials selection ideas that may vary based on their experience and what they believe may be helpful. Will post again when I learn more.
post #12 of 15

What do you mean by "similarly conceptually to the KGSSHV"?

post #13 of 15
From what we've discussed work from Kevin's design, and then make selective changes where they feel it would it improve the manufacturing quality / reliability / sound (I've heard a few things so far but examples would be board material, power supplies, and some ideas how to source high quality matched transistors/components that meet spec from the manufacturers who have purchased the equipment from the companies like Toshiba who no longer produce them to avoid the issue of bad fakes, etc.). The goal here is to produce a couple dozen units at break-even fully costed (i.e., including prototyping up front) reflecting an enthusiasm to have another great SS electrostatic option out there for folks. We exchanged communications with Kevin a while back and he was very supportive, wonderful man btw. I know project costing is still being finalized so still not fully certain it will happen or not but my fingers are crossed.
Edited by silverlight - 4/11/12 at 11:10am
post #14 of 15

Thanks for the clarification, that sounds like a great idea and I hope it happens! :)

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlight View Post

From what we've discussed work from Kevin's design, and then make selective changes where they feel it would it improve the manufacturing quality / reliability / sound (I've heard a few things so far but examples would be board material, power supplies, and some ideas how to source high quality matched transistors/components that meet spec from the manufacturers who have purchased the equipment from the companies like Toshiba who no longer produce them to avoid the issue of bad fakes, etc.). The goal here is to produce a couple dozen units at break-even fully costed (i.e., including prototyping up front) reflecting an enthusiasm to have another great SS electrostatic option out there for folks. We exchanged communications with Kevin a while back and he was very supportive, wonderful man btw. I know project costing is still being finalized so still not fully certain it will happen or not but my fingers are crossed.

 

It sounds great indeed. Please keep us posted, whatever happens! Thanks. 

 

PS. You can post something in this thread as well if you get any good news: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582131/is-anyone-building-the-kgsshv


Edited by verwandlung - 5/21/12 at 1:34pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Anyone building a KGSSHV which might eventually be up for sale?