Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is anyone building the KGSSHV?

post #1 of 452
Thread Starter 

I actually know that some people are, but does anyone know anyone who is or might be planning to sell it? 

 

Thanks.

 

Verwandlung

 

 

PS. Please don't tell me that I can do it myself: I know I can't!


Edited by verwandlung - 11/26/11 at 10:05am
post #2 of 452
Thread Starter 

I am just not ready to believe this! confused_face.gif

post #3 of 452

although there is a standard build that fits in a single pesante chassis, it seems

that everyone building these are going for over the top custom chassis, and once

you build one of those, you don't want to sell it. So eventually one might show

up used, but you are going to wait a while to get it.

post #4 of 452

Oi, you can do it yourself, save time waiting for a used one turning up in the fs box. :D

post #5 of 452

Guys, how do we get the details on building one of these, schematics etc.? Really enjoying my O2 Mk1's, but have read that the 323s may not be enough amp...

post #6 of 452

schematics here

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvproduction.pdf

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvps8e.pdf

 

on board heatsink version gerber files

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvampv6.zip

 

off board heatsink version gerber files, latest board

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvampv7s.zip

 

power supply

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvps8e.zip

 

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by kevin gilmore - 11/30/11 at 5:28pm
post #7 of 452
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore View Post

schematics here

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvproduction.pdf

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvps8e.pdf

 

on board heatsink version gerber files

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvampv6.zip

 

off board heatsink version gerber files, latest board

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvampv7s.zip

 

power supply

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/kgsshvps8e.zip

 

 

 

 

 

 


Thank you very much Mr. Gilmore. It is very kind of you to share this (but of little use for someone like me I am afraid). At any rate, it seems that I am going to order your other creation, the BHSE, since it is the only one Head Amp is building now. Still, I would much prefer a solid state amp (not having to worry about leaving it on for long periods of time). 

 

If I may ask, how  does the KGSSHV compare with the BHSE in terms of sound?  

 


Edited by verwandlung - 12/8/11 at 9:48pm
post #8 of 452

The few others that have heard both would be better qualified to answer this.

 

I'm clearly biased   (about 580 volts)

post #9 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore View Post

The few others that have heard both would be better qualified to answer this.

 

I'm clearly biased   (about 580 volts)


Somehow I thought you designed the BHSE as well... 

post #10 of 452

I did design the BH, and justin made a few modifications and the result is the BHSE.

 

I have at least 9 different kind of stax amps. And a few of them i have 2 of.

 

post #11 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore View Post

I did design the BH, and justin made a few modifications and the result is the BHSE.

 

I have at least 9 different kind of stax amps. And a few of them i have 2 of.

 



That it was I thought. So then I am not sure why you should be reluctant to say how you think the BH(SE) and the KGSSHV compare. It is not exactly as asking you whether you prefer one child over another, but rather asking what are the strengths and weaknesses (if any!) of one and the other. That being said, I can understand that you would prefer to avoid having to respond to such question. It is pity though since you are among the few who heard both.

 

On another note, could you tell me how long it took after you designed the BH for Justin to build it? What would be a reasonable guess as to how long it may take before someone decides to commercially build the KGSSHV? It seems that the KGSS was one of the very best electrostatic solid state amp (to drive the Stax 007) and I assume that the HV version is even better... How long, really, can we live without either one of them being produced!? -- I am sure that the your BH(SE) is a masterpiece, but a very HOT one I was told, and with TUBES, which somehow I would like to avoid if I could.

 

Thanks again. 

post #12 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by verwandlung View Post
On another note, could you tell me how long it took after you designed the BH for Justin to build it? What would be a reasonable guess as to how long it may take before someone decides to commercially build the KGSSHV? It seems that the KGSS was one of the very best electrostatic solid state amp (to drive the Stax 007) and I assume that the HV version is even better... How long, really, can we live without either one of them being produced!? -- I am sure that the your BH(SE) is a masterpiece, but a very HOT one I was told, and with TUBES, which somehow I would like to avoid if I could.


This isn't really intended to answer your question but hopefully it clarifies a few things for you:

 

http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/kgbh/index.htm

http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/bhse/index.htm

 

The BHSE is sort of an evolution of the KGBH that Justin himself came up with.

 

Also, you seem to not realize that commercial building of the KGSSHV would have to be approved by Dr. Gilmore. Or in other words, not just anyone will be able or allowed to commercially build KGSSHVs - and Dr. Gilmore is definitely a stickler on who can build his designs. wink.gif The KGSSHV is also primarily a DIY project; if you really wanted a KGSSHV it'd probably be more practical to commission a DIY-er as the probability of commercial production is a lot lower.

 

Just because HeadAmp stopped producing KGSS amps doesn't mean they're not available anymore. They've been known to appear from time to time on the FS forums. There have also been other DIY-ers' KGSS amps as well, in addition to HeadAmp's.

post #13 of 452

I do want to prevent another trevornetwork fiasco.

Which means no more plexiglass boxes held together with superglue.

 

If justin does do the kgsshv it will be just as outrageous as the bhse.

post #14 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post


This isn't really intended to answer your question but hopefully it clarifies a few things for you:

 

http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/kgbh/index.htm

http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/bhse/index.htm

 

The BHSE is sort of an evolution of the KGBH that Justin himself came up with.

 

Also, you seem to not realize that commercial building of the KGSSHV would have to be approved by Dr. Gilmore. Or in other words, not just anyone will be able or allowed to commercially build KGSSHVs - and Dr. Gilmore is definitely a stickler on who can build his designs. wink.gif The KGSSHV is also primarily a DIY project; if you really wanted a KGSSHV it'd probably be more practical to commission a DIY-er as the probability of commercial production is a lot lower.

 

Just because HeadAmp stopped producing KGSS amps doesn't mean they're not available anymore. They've been known to appear from time to time on the FS forums. There have also been other DIY-ers' KGSS amps as well, in addition to HeadAmp's.



Thanks for the clarifications. I was mostly aware of those things. That is why I, although indirectly, asked Mr. Gilmore whether he knew when (approximately) we can expect a commercial production of the KGSSHV. Justin (from Head Amp) told me that it was “possible” that he would build it, but didn't go father than that.

 

The fact is that I am just deeply torn : if I knew that in a year or so there is a  good chance that I can get a KGSSHV (ideally from Head Amp), I think that I would not order the BHSE now and just wait a little longer. But if it was more likely that if a KGSSHV is ever build commercially, it wouldn't be before 2 to 3 years, then my decision would me easy, that is, I would go without further delay for the BHSE with no hesitation.

post #15 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore View Post.

 

If justin does do the kgsshv it will be just as outrageous as the bhse.



Thank you. I guess that answer my previous question as to how both amps compare. basshead.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Is anyone building the KGSSHV?