New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MEElectronics: M9 or M6?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

I am currently looking for some IEM's and am considering either the MEElectronics M6, or M9's. Both are in my price range and will be used un-amped with my Sanza Fuse.

 

I currnetly use the Koss Sporta Pro "over the head" headphones and love the sound of them. I want to get IEM's because of greater portability and sometimes I like to wear a hat which can sometimes be a problem with the Sporta Pros. Which of the two models will most closely duplicate or exceed the sound of the Koss Sporta Pros?

 

I listen to a variety of music styles.

 

Thanks in advance for your input.

 

- augustwest

post #2 of 29

I love the M9, and didn't like the M6 too much.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/meelectronics-m9-sl-hi-fi-sound-isolating-earphones-silver/reviews/5746

post #3 of 29

I have heard both, IMO M6 is brighter and more balanced across, whereas M9 has slightly bigger bass, yet not as bright as M6, so depends really which signature you prefer, cost is roughly the same

post #4 of 29
I hated M9. The sound signature was way too V-shaped, so I had to turn up the volume to hear the vocals-- which resulted in my ears being fatigued very frequently. They were pretty bright too. Don't know about m6.
Edited by Tablo - 11/21/11 at 2:14pm
post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 

I'm sort of leaning towards the M9's at the moment. Since I like a somewhat rolled off high end and a rich bottom end. But would consider any additional input.

 

- augustwest

post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 

Anone else with any thoughts to share on this?

 

- augustwest

post #7 of 29

The M6 has plenty of thump with a tilt in the bass, I wouldn't describe that as bright in the least.  They're also very comfortable ;)

post #8 of 29

I agree, I wouldn't describe the M6 as bright in any way. It has almost no treble presence at all, everything sounds like you're listening to it on the clearest AM radio channel ever.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shike View Post

The M6 has plenty of thump with a tilt in the bass, I wouldn't describe that as bright in the least.  They're also very comfortable ;)



 

post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 

Ok, I have question for you guys.

 

A friend loaned me some JVC HA-FX35-B "Marshmellow" IEM's. This is my first experience with them, or any in ear monitor other than the cheap "buds" that come with any MP3 player/phone. Are the M6/M9's signifcantly better than the JVC's? Because the JVC's totally suck. I can't imagine using them for anything other than listening to AM radio.

 

I'm pretty familiar with full sized headphones, which is my point of reference for music listening and these JVC's are really not acceptable for my needs. How far up the ladder do I need to go to get something that is at least as good as the Koss Porta Pros/Sporta Pros headphones in an IEM?

 

- augustwest

post #10 of 29

M9s sound worse than Skullcandy Ink'd. 

post #11 of 29

M9 has far cleaner bass than PortaPros. Actually PortaPros sound like crap until you EQ, but they actually are quite competent after that. M9 sound good out of the box.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustwest View Post

Ok, I have question for you guys.

 

A friend loaned me some JVC HA-FX35-B "Marshmellow" IEM's. This is my first experience with them, or any in ear monitor other than the cheap "buds" that come with any MP3 player/phone. Are the M6/M9's signifcantly better than the JVC's? Because the JVC's totally suck. I can't imagine using them for anything other than listening to AM radio.

 

I'm pretty familiar with full sized headphones, which is my point of reference for music listening and these JVC's are really not acceptable for my needs. How far up the ladder do I need to go to get something that is at least as good as the Koss Porta Pros/Sporta Pros headphones in an IEM?

 

- augustwest



 

post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablo View Post

M9s sound worse than Skullcandy Ink'd. 



Wow, the first person I met outside of Amazon that actually dislikes these ear buds,

post #13 of 29

That guy must have gotten a defective pair.

 

OP, with 2100 posts, I'm guessing you have an awesome home rig. You're probably thinking, "I want to spend the least amount of money possible because I only need these to listen to when I'm away from my awesome home rig". As far as IEMS go, I feel they're far weaker in the price/performance department than headphones at lower prices. I'd wager you'd need to spend $50-$100 to get something that won't make you want to rip them out of your ears. The m9 or m6 isn't going to cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoNoodles View Post



Wow, the first person I met outside of Amazon that actually dislikes these ear buds,



 

post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustwest View Post

Ok, I have question for you guys.

 

A friend loaned me some JVC HA-FX35-B "Marshmellow" IEM's. This is my first experience with them, or any in ear monitor other than the cheap "buds" that come with any MP3 player/phone. Are the M6/M9's signifcantly better than the JVC's? Because the JVC's totally suck. I can't imagine using them for anything other than listening to AM radio.

 

I'm pretty familiar with full sized headphones, which is my point of reference for music listening and these JVC's are really not acceptable for my needs. How far up the ladder do I need to go to get something that is at least as good as the Koss Porta Pros/Sporta Pros headphones in an IEM?

 

- augustwest


Having owned the Marshmallows before, the M6 smokes them easily.  The problem I had with the JVC is they were definitely too shrill and the bass was a bit too much.  The bass is toned down slightly so it doesn't sound boomy in the M6, and the treble isn't shrill in the least.  Never heard the M9 since I'm completely satisfied with the M6 for what they are (a pair I wear when my ears or sore or I want extra thump).

 

post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 

"OP, with 2100 posts, I'm guessing you have an awesome home rig. You're probably thinking, "I want to spend the least amount of money possible because I only need these to listen to when I'm away from my awesome home rig". As far as IEMS go, I feel they're far weaker in the price/performance department than headphones at lower prices. I'd wager you'd need to spend $50-$100 to get something that won't make you want to rip them out of your ears. The m9 or m6 isn't going to cut it."

 

There is a lot of truth in what you say, you've read the situation perfectly. I do have a decent home system and you are right I just want something to listen to when I'm on location with my Fuze player. Trying the JVC's really have me questioning whether any of the lower end IEM's will make me happy? I may try the M6's, since of the two they get the most "raves", or maybe I'll just buy another set of Sporta Pros, for backup, since I know I like those, or maybe I'll just forget the whole thing at this point?

 

- augustwest

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: