I would not advise using leather earpads on their GradoMagnums. Your bass response will be all over the place. Sadly, (p)leather pads on GradoMagnums simply do not work.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS-1tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS1000tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/11
- productSymphones Magnumstagged by System, 1/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- I Really Need Some Help On A Suggestion Last post on 4/15/13 at 11:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anyone else have Grados that have problems with the earcups falling off?? Last post on 5/23/14 at 9:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325is w/ flats vs. Rs1i Last post on 7/12/11 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth tracking down Alessandro MS2i? Last post on 6/16/11 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Just Ordered Grado SR325i Last post on 4/14/11 at 6:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
Grado modders go Magnum - Page 203post #3031 of 321911/14/13 at 10:44amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3032 of 321911/14/13 at 2:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by wje
The velour that I have doesn't stretch as much as the cheaper velour that is sold in standard fabric shops. That version of velour is designed more for clothing and requires a lighter weight an more flexibilty. However, that variation is made from a knit fabric. When you cut out the pieces and attempt to sew them together, the knit backing tends to shred quite a bit of the strings that hold it all together. This is why I chose to move towards the upholstery grade version. It is denser, but doesn't shed nearly to the degree of the lighter weight material.
But, your thought is a great one. Since the use of the spray adhesive would be used, then the lighter velour would have more flexibilty and since one would not be stitching it, then it would stay together relatively well.
I did get 4 pair of the Sennheiser 414 pads yesterday. I'll get the reverse quarter mod performed and check into applying some of my velour to the pads in the next 3-4 days. I have the L-Cush pads, but not any spares to sacrifice at this point.
Full of good ideas, I am ;)post #3033 of 321911/16/13 at 6:45amSo in the quest for alternate drivers, do you think these are acceptable stats?
Frequency Range 250Hz ~ 20kHz
Impedance 8 Ohm
Sound Pressure Level 110dB
Power - Rated 0.1W
Power - Max 0.2W
Size / Dimension 40.00mm Diapost #3034 of 321911/16/13 at 6:58ampost #3035 of 321911/16/13 at 7:28ampost #3036 of 321911/16/13 at 10:19amQuote:
Hi, It seems a bit light on the bass end. If this driver were used for other purposes (non-music) it would be a good product. For headphones, not so much. It could go lower with the bass response than the stated level, but it's hard to tell how it might present itself. Possible distortion? Etc.post #3037 of 321911/16/13 at 11:10amI don't even pretend to know how to interpret the charts, but what I've been reading is that 20-20 is ideal for frequency response in a driver. That's the same response as a sr60i but here at 8ohm as opposed to 32ohm loading. Not the easiest thing to grasppost #3038 of 321911/16/13 at 12:37pmQuote:
No, I understand. The 20 Hz to 20 kHz is just the range that the driver is capable of. The music we listen to can be a big factor, too. If it's bassy music, it could easily reach down to the 40 - 60 Hz, if not a bit below. Higher frequencies - certain instruments could push the driver into the upper frequency ranges. Then again, we also have to take other factors into consideration, too. If our own hearing has limitations and we can't hear above 12 kHz, then we'll never use that capability of the driver.
If you go into a discount store and look at the packages of ear buds, you'll see almost all of the ear buds in the $10 - $20 range indicate a 20 Hz - 20 kHz response rate. Personally, such marketing numbers in that case are full of fluff. The graphs and frequency ranges are good tools. But, we also have to understand the other conditions, too.post #3039 of 321911/16/13 at 4:28pmpost #3040 of 321911/16/13 at 6:28pm
Sweetness. I see his woodworking guy is still doing beautiful work.post #3041 of 321911/16/13 at 7:12pm
Indeed...these were slightly different this time around...
1. No ridge for the drivers to sit against inside the cup (easily remedied with a thin strip of foam tape).
2. The holes for the headband gimbals go all the way through the walls, they aren't just indents.
3. The last pair needed foam strips around the edge of the drivers to seat them firmly, this pair fit absolutely perfectly, no need for any foam.
Still gorgeous workmanship.post #3042 of 321911/16/13 at 9:09pmpost #3043 of 321911/17/13 at 5:43am
...am rather excited, this is my first pair of "press-fit" woodies. All of my others have been foam-mounts. Funds are a little tight at the moment but I don't want to skimp on this build, so they are probably going to be heading up to Ted (AKA Headphonelounge) for a nice copper cable and if I can sell off a little more vinyl on eBay, they will be getting a Turbulent Labs headband as well.post #3044 of 321911/17/13 at 10:54amQuote:Originally Posted by fleasbaby
...am rather excited, this is my first pair of "press-fit" woodies. All of my others have been foam-mounts. Funds are a little tight at the moment but I don't want to skimp on this build, so they are probably going to be heading up to Ted (AKA Headphonelounge) for a nice copper cable and if I can sell off a little more vinyl on eBay, they will be getting a Turbulent Labs headband as well.
What measurement did he use for the press fit if I may ask? Can you get a caliper on that? Thankspost #3045 of 321911/17/13 at 11:47am
Hmmmm, no calipers unfortunately, but Jin at Turbulent kindly gave me the dimensions on the Magnum X drivers, which is what I am using here. 4.5 cm across, and 9 mm deep.
Fits in these cups like a glove. Unbelievable actually.
- Grado modders go Magnum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Comparisons: 21 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 20 seconds ago
- › Custom Wooden O2/ODAC (Separate) 51 seconds ago
- › WANTED: USB to S/PDIF converter 53 seconds ago
- › HE-400(or 400i?), HD695, or something better 1 minute ago
- › Which soundcard for 50% music and 50% gaming (FPS) ? 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 2 minutes ago
- › First Watt Aleph J clone 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)