I would not advise using leather earpads on their GradoMagnums. Your bass response will be all over the place. Sadly, (p)leather pads on GradoMagnums simply do not work.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS-1tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS1000tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/11
- productSymphones Magnumstagged by System, 1/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- I Really Need Some Help On A Suggestion Last post on 4/15/13 at 11:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anyone else have Grados that have problems with the earcups falling off?? Last post on 5/23/14 at 9:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325is w/ flats vs. Rs1i Last post on 7/12/11 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth tracking down Alessandro MS2i? Last post on 6/16/11 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Just Ordered Grado SR325i Last post on 4/14/11 at 6:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
HIFIMAN HE-560 ON TAP: A FIRST DAY REVIEW SAGA (HIFIMAN HE-560 TOUR IMPRESSIONS) FIRST IMPRESSIONS Wow ... what a big box! I was expecting a more economically packaged box, but once I...
*Not an audio professional review, only my user opinion* After listening to lots of headphones inside this price ranger I decided on these. I was first worried cause lately I was reading lots...
Grado modders go Magnum - Page 203post #3031 of 323211/14/13 at 10:44amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3032 of 323211/14/13 at 2:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by wje
The velour that I have doesn't stretch as much as the cheaper velour that is sold in standard fabric shops. That version of velour is designed more for clothing and requires a lighter weight an more flexibilty. However, that variation is made from a knit fabric. When you cut out the pieces and attempt to sew them together, the knit backing tends to shred quite a bit of the strings that hold it all together. This is why I chose to move towards the upholstery grade version. It is denser, but doesn't shed nearly to the degree of the lighter weight material.
But, your thought is a great one. Since the use of the spray adhesive would be used, then the lighter velour would have more flexibilty and since one would not be stitching it, then it would stay together relatively well.
I did get 4 pair of the Sennheiser 414 pads yesterday. I'll get the reverse quarter mod performed and check into applying some of my velour to the pads in the next 3-4 days. I have the L-Cush pads, but not any spares to sacrifice at this point.
Full of good ideas, I am ;)post #3033 of 323211/16/13 at 6:45amSo in the quest for alternate drivers, do you think these are acceptable stats?
Frequency Range 250Hz ~ 20kHz
Impedance 8 Ohm
Sound Pressure Level 110dB
Power - Rated 0.1W
Power - Max 0.2W
Size / Dimension 40.00mm Diapost #3034 of 323211/16/13 at 6:58ampost #3035 of 323211/16/13 at 7:28ampost #3036 of 323211/16/13 at 10:19amQuote:
Hi, It seems a bit light on the bass end. If this driver were used for other purposes (non-music) it would be a good product. For headphones, not so much. It could go lower with the bass response than the stated level, but it's hard to tell how it might present itself. Possible distortion? Etc.post #3037 of 323211/16/13 at 11:10amI don't even pretend to know how to interpret the charts, but what I've been reading is that 20-20 is ideal for frequency response in a driver. That's the same response as a sr60i but here at 8ohm as opposed to 32ohm loading. Not the easiest thing to grasppost #3038 of 323211/16/13 at 12:37pmQuote:
No, I understand. The 20 Hz to 20 kHz is just the range that the driver is capable of. The music we listen to can be a big factor, too. If it's bassy music, it could easily reach down to the 40 - 60 Hz, if not a bit below. Higher frequencies - certain instruments could push the driver into the upper frequency ranges. Then again, we also have to take other factors into consideration, too. If our own hearing has limitations and we can't hear above 12 kHz, then we'll never use that capability of the driver.
If you go into a discount store and look at the packages of ear buds, you'll see almost all of the ear buds in the $10 - $20 range indicate a 20 Hz - 20 kHz response rate. Personally, such marketing numbers in that case are full of fluff. The graphs and frequency ranges are good tools. But, we also have to understand the other conditions, too.post #3039 of 323211/16/13 at 4:28pmpost #3040 of 323211/16/13 at 6:28pm
Sweetness. I see his woodworking guy is still doing beautiful work.post #3041 of 323211/16/13 at 7:12pm
Indeed...these were slightly different this time around...
1. No ridge for the drivers to sit against inside the cup (easily remedied with a thin strip of foam tape).
2. The holes for the headband gimbals go all the way through the walls, they aren't just indents.
3. The last pair needed foam strips around the edge of the drivers to seat them firmly, this pair fit absolutely perfectly, no need for any foam.
Still gorgeous workmanship.post #3042 of 323211/16/13 at 9:09pmpost #3043 of 323211/17/13 at 5:43am
...am rather excited, this is my first pair of "press-fit" woodies. All of my others have been foam-mounts. Funds are a little tight at the moment but I don't want to skimp on this build, so they are probably going to be heading up to Ted (AKA Headphonelounge) for a nice copper cable and if I can sell off a little more vinyl on eBay, they will be getting a Turbulent Labs headband as well.post #3044 of 323211/17/13 at 10:54amQuote:Originally Posted by fleasbaby
...am rather excited, this is my first pair of "press-fit" woodies. All of my others have been foam-mounts. Funds are a little tight at the moment but I don't want to skimp on this build, so they are probably going to be heading up to Ted (AKA Headphonelounge) for a nice copper cable and if I can sell off a little more vinyl on eBay, they will be getting a Turbulent Labs headband as well.
What measurement did he use for the press fit if I may ask? Can you get a caliper on that? Thankspost #3045 of 323211/17/13 at 11:47am
Hmmmm, no calipers unfortunately, but Jin at Turbulent kindly gave me the dimensions on the Magnum X drivers, which is what I am using here. 4.5 cm across, and 9 mm deep.
Fits in these cups like a glove. Unbelievable actually.
- Grado modders go Magnum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 48 seconds ago
- › ROCK JAW Testers 1 minute ago
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › Metal / rock earbuds? 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)