I would not advise using leather earpads on their GradoMagnums. Your bass response will be all over the place. Sadly, (p)leather pads on GradoMagnums simply do not work.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS-1tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS1000tagged by System, 11/10/11
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 12/17/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/11
- productSymphones Magnumstagged by System, 1/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- I Really Need Some Help On A Suggestion Last post on 4/15/13 at 11:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anyone else have Grados that have problems with the earcups falling off?? Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325is w/ flats vs. Rs1i Last post on 7/12/11 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth tracking down Alessandro MS2i? Last post on 6/16/11 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Just Ordered Grado SR325i Last post on 4/14/11 at 6:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
Grado modders go Magnum - Page 203post #3031 of 316511/14/13 at 10:44amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3032 of 316511/14/13 at 2:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by wje
The velour that I have doesn't stretch as much as the cheaper velour that is sold in standard fabric shops. That version of velour is designed more for clothing and requires a lighter weight an more flexibilty. However, that variation is made from a knit fabric. When you cut out the pieces and attempt to sew them together, the knit backing tends to shred quite a bit of the strings that hold it all together. This is why I chose to move towards the upholstery grade version. It is denser, but doesn't shed nearly to the degree of the lighter weight material.
But, your thought is a great one. Since the use of the spray adhesive would be used, then the lighter velour would have more flexibilty and since one would not be stitching it, then it would stay together relatively well.
I did get 4 pair of the Sennheiser 414 pads yesterday. I'll get the reverse quarter mod performed and check into applying some of my velour to the pads in the next 3-4 days. I have the L-Cush pads, but not any spares to sacrifice at this point.
Full of good ideas, I am ;)post #3033 of 316511/16/13 at 6:45amSo in the quest for alternate drivers, do you think these are acceptable stats?
Frequency Range 250Hz ~ 20kHz
Impedance 8 Ohm
Sound Pressure Level 110dB
Power - Rated 0.1W
Power - Max 0.2W
Size / Dimension 40.00mm Diapost #3034 of 316511/16/13 at 6:58ampost #3035 of 316511/16/13 at 7:28ampost #3036 of 316511/16/13 at 10:19amQuote:
Hi, It seems a bit light on the bass end. If this driver were used for other purposes (non-music) it would be a good product. For headphones, not so much. It could go lower with the bass response than the stated level, but it's hard to tell how it might present itself. Possible distortion? Etc.post #3037 of 316511/16/13 at 11:10amI don't even pretend to know how to interpret the charts, but what I've been reading is that 20-20 is ideal for frequency response in a driver. That's the same response as a sr60i but here at 8ohm as opposed to 32ohm loading. Not the easiest thing to grasppost #3038 of 316511/16/13 at 12:37pmQuote:
No, I understand. The 20 Hz to 20 kHz is just the range that the driver is capable of. The music we listen to can be a big factor, too. If it's bassy music, it could easily reach down to the 40 - 60 Hz, if not a bit below. Higher frequencies - certain instruments could push the driver into the upper frequency ranges. Then again, we also have to take other factors into consideration, too. If our own hearing has limitations and we can't hear above 12 kHz, then we'll never use that capability of the driver.
If you go into a discount store and look at the packages of ear buds, you'll see almost all of the ear buds in the $10 - $20 range indicate a 20 Hz - 20 kHz response rate. Personally, such marketing numbers in that case are full of fluff. The graphs and frequency ranges are good tools. But, we also have to understand the other conditions, too.post #3039 of 316511/16/13 at 4:28pmpost #3040 of 316511/16/13 at 6:28pm
Sweetness. I see his woodworking guy is still doing beautiful work.post #3041 of 316511/16/13 at 7:12pm
Indeed...these were slightly different this time around...
1. No ridge for the drivers to sit against inside the cup (easily remedied with a thin strip of foam tape).
2. The holes for the headband gimbals go all the way through the walls, they aren't just indents.
3. The last pair needed foam strips around the edge of the drivers to seat them firmly, this pair fit absolutely perfectly, no need for any foam.
Still gorgeous workmanship.post #3042 of 316511/16/13 at 9:09pmpost #3043 of 316511/17/13 at 5:43am
...am rather excited, this is my first pair of "press-fit" woodies. All of my others have been foam-mounts. Funds are a little tight at the moment but I don't want to skimp on this build, so they are probably going to be heading up to Ted (AKA Headphonelounge) for a nice copper cable and if I can sell off a little more vinyl on eBay, they will be getting a Turbulent Labs headband as well.post #3044 of 316511/17/13 at 10:54amQuote:Originally Posted by fleasbaby
...am rather excited, this is my first pair of "press-fit" woodies. All of my others have been foam-mounts. Funds are a little tight at the moment but I don't want to skimp on this build, so they are probably going to be heading up to Ted (AKA Headphonelounge) for a nice copper cable and if I can sell off a little more vinyl on eBay, they will be getting a Turbulent Labs headband as well.
What measurement did he use for the press fit if I may ask? Can you get a caliper on that? Thankspost #3045 of 316511/17/13 at 11:47am
Hmmmm, no calipers unfortunately, but Jin at Turbulent kindly gave me the dimensions on the Magnum X drivers, which is what I am using here. 4.5 cm across, and 9 mm deep.
Fits in these cups like a glove. Unbelievable actually.
- Grado modders go Magnum
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › NEW! Monster DNA headphones 45 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Appreciation Society 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 3 minutes ago
- › New OPPO HA-1 (CES 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman EF-5 headphone amplifier mods and rolls 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 5 minutes ago
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob