I'm getting a pair of ATH-M50's soon, but I don't know if I should get the straight or the coiled cable. I'll use them at home for monitoring, but I'm also going to use them walking around such as at school and in the car. I was thinking about getting the straight cable, but I think I'll have to tuck too much of the cable into my pocket when I'm walking around.
Related Forum Threads
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 8/21/11 at 10:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 | Straight Cable --> Short? Last post on 8/26/11 at 1:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
I am mainly using the Meridian Explorer on the road, from laptop. Setup is painless on Mac and Linux. Note that on Linux, it is worth checking the gain settings in alsamixer (only once is...
I would like to acknowledge that I'm actually reviewing T51i model of these headphones - identical to T51p with addition of in-line remote/mic. I received these for review purpose from...
ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable?post #1 of 910/10/11 at 4:56pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/10/11 at 10:47pm
I'm very glad I got myself the coiled cable.
Even coiled the cable extends around ~140cm (~55 inch) before even 'stretching' the coiled part of the cable.
To me the uncoiled version would get very hard to control especially when movement with these phones becomes a factor.
On another note, while you can, I found the pleather pads of the M50s not ideal for a warmer outside climate.
My ears and surrounding skin got relatively hot and sweaty quite quickly due to their tight (relatively) grip and plastic material.
The M50 is my favourite (closed) headphone indoors (at the office mostly or at home while watching movies), I'm just not convinced it's great for walking around outside with.post #3 of 910/11/11 at 7:49am
I'm glad I went with the coiled as well. Can't say for sure about the straight but the coiled cable is manageable for portable use.
Having a huge straight cable wound up for portable use would be impractical I'd imagine.post #4 of 910/11/11 at 2:21pmpost #5 of 910/11/11 at 3:18pmpost #6 of 910/11/11 at 3:46pm
The coiled cable is nice for travel while the straight cable is awesome for everything else. Coiled cables always get tangled up in things and no audio engineer on the move is going to want a coiled cable. I personally would rather shorten the straight cable myself than have a coiled cable.
Over time a coiled cable will get tangled in many things, bend and stress, and eventually be a mess of inconsistently coiled nonsense.post #7 of 910/11/11 at 5:05pm
Personally, I prefer the straight cable, because you can just wrap up the excess and put it away, whereas you have to deal with a heavy cable hanging off your headphones all the time if you get the coiled one. Also, the extra cable is pretty compact, so you can stick it in a pocket if you're not using it... just use a twist-tie
Edited by 50an6xy06r6n - 10/11/11 at 5:06pmpost #8 of 910/11/11 at 5:32pmpost #9 of 910/11/11 at 5:47pm
I got myself the straight version, and I'm happy with it, just because I can walk around my room with the headphones on without worrying about the cable being too short. I can always use something to tie them and make them shorter, I just like to walk around with them.
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 36 seconds ago
- › Audio-gd C 10 Power amplifier [EXTRA NOV. DISCOUNT] 41 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 1 minute ago
- › Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening. 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiMan HE-560 Review 2 minutes ago
- › Are custom fit IEMs worth it 3 minutes ago
- › Rock 'N Roll Lives - The Baseball Project "Hola America" at SXSW 2014 3 minutes ago
- › A headfi movie script I wrote in the HE500 thread a long time ago,... 4 minutes ago
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › Intopic Jazz i57 IEM by Pastapipo
- › Sennheiser MM 450-X Wireless Bluetooth Headphones by Faber65
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob