I'm getting a pair of ATH-M50's soon, but I don't know if I should get the straight or the coiled cable. I'll use them at home for monitoring, but I'm also going to use them walking around such as at school and in the car. I was thinking about getting the straight cable, but I think I'll have to tuck too much of the cable into my pocket when I'm walking around.
Related Forum Threads
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 8/21/11 at 10:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 | Straight Cable --> Short? Last post on 8/26/11 at 1:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable?post #1 of 910/10/11 at 4:56pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/10/11 at 10:47pm
I'm very glad I got myself the coiled cable.
Even coiled the cable extends around ~140cm (~55 inch) before even 'stretching' the coiled part of the cable.
To me the uncoiled version would get very hard to control especially when movement with these phones becomes a factor.
On another note, while you can, I found the pleather pads of the M50s not ideal for a warmer outside climate.
My ears and surrounding skin got relatively hot and sweaty quite quickly due to their tight (relatively) grip and plastic material.
The M50 is my favourite (closed) headphone indoors (at the office mostly or at home while watching movies), I'm just not convinced it's great for walking around outside with.post #3 of 910/11/11 at 7:49am
I'm glad I went with the coiled as well. Can't say for sure about the straight but the coiled cable is manageable for portable use.
Having a huge straight cable wound up for portable use would be impractical I'd imagine.post #4 of 910/11/11 at 2:21pmpost #5 of 910/11/11 at 3:18pmpost #6 of 910/11/11 at 3:46pm
The coiled cable is nice for travel while the straight cable is awesome for everything else. Coiled cables always get tangled up in things and no audio engineer on the move is going to want a coiled cable. I personally would rather shorten the straight cable myself than have a coiled cable.
Over time a coiled cable will get tangled in many things, bend and stress, and eventually be a mess of inconsistently coiled nonsense.post #7 of 910/11/11 at 5:05pm
Personally, I prefer the straight cable, because you can just wrap up the excess and put it away, whereas you have to deal with a heavy cable hanging off your headphones all the time if you get the coiled one. Also, the extra cable is pretty compact, so you can stick it in a pocket if you're not using it... just use a twist-tie
Edited by 50an6xy06r6n - 10/11/11 at 5:06pmpost #8 of 910/11/11 at 5:32pmpost #9 of 910/11/11 at 5:47pm
I got myself the straight version, and I'm happy with it, just because I can walk around my room with the headphones on without worrying about the cable being too short. I can always use something to tie them and make them shorter, I just like to walk around with them.
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm Premium 19 seconds ago
- › Scratching in AKG K702 Annie 52 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 1 minute ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio E18 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 3 minutes ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 5 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob