I'm getting a pair of ATH-M50's soon, but I don't know if I should get the straight or the coiled cable. I'll use them at home for monitoring, but I'm also going to use them walking around such as at school and in the car. I was thinking about getting the straight cable, but I think I'll have to tuck too much of the cable into my pocket when I'm walking around.
Related Forum Threads
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 8/21/11 at 10:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 | Straight Cable --> Short? Last post on 8/26/11 at 1:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 3/18/16
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
This is my first review and it's going to be brief...Never in my life have I been so damn impressed with an audio product (I have a bunch) than I am with my Custom K10's!!! There is not 1 thing...
INTRODUCTION Hello again guys, I am Areek Nibras, a junior Head-fier and a recently graduated physician from Bangladesh, currently doing post-graduation training in Internal medicine. Today I will...
I picked up these for my wife. I thought that since she is more of an average listener (not too concerned with audio), the V-shaped sound might be acceptable or even preferred. I gave them a listen...
I got to listen to these for a couple weeks as part of the USA tour, with the requirement that I write a review and pay to ship them to the next participant. I am not affiliated with, and was not...
Introduction: I have had the chance to listen to the HD800 a few times at local Head-Fi meets. However, I have never got a good chance to listen to them, either the person who owned them...
ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable?post #1 of 910/10/11 at 4:56pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/10/11 at 10:47pm
I'm very glad I got myself the coiled cable.
Even coiled the cable extends around ~140cm (~55 inch) before even 'stretching' the coiled part of the cable.
To me the uncoiled version would get very hard to control especially when movement with these phones becomes a factor.
On another note, while you can, I found the pleather pads of the M50s not ideal for a warmer outside climate.
My ears and surrounding skin got relatively hot and sweaty quite quickly due to their tight (relatively) grip and plastic material.
The M50 is my favourite (closed) headphone indoors (at the office mostly or at home while watching movies), I'm just not convinced it's great for walking around outside with.post #3 of 910/11/11 at 7:49am
I'm glad I went with the coiled as well. Can't say for sure about the straight but the coiled cable is manageable for portable use.
Having a huge straight cable wound up for portable use would be impractical I'd imagine.post #4 of 910/11/11 at 2:21pmpost #5 of 910/11/11 at 3:18pmpost #6 of 910/11/11 at 3:46pm
The coiled cable is nice for travel while the straight cable is awesome for everything else. Coiled cables always get tangled up in things and no audio engineer on the move is going to want a coiled cable. I personally would rather shorten the straight cable myself than have a coiled cable.
Over time a coiled cable will get tangled in many things, bend and stress, and eventually be a mess of inconsistently coiled nonsense.post #7 of 910/11/11 at 5:05pm
Personally, I prefer the straight cable, because you can just wrap up the excess and put it away, whereas you have to deal with a heavy cable hanging off your headphones all the time if you get the coiled one. Also, the extra cable is pretty compact, so you can stick it in a pocket if you're not using it... just use a twist-tie
Edited by 50an6xy06r6n - 10/11/11 at 5:06pmpost #8 of 910/11/11 at 5:32pmpost #9 of 910/11/11 at 5:47pm
I got myself the straight version, and I'm happy with it, just because I can walk around my room with the headphones on without worrying about the cable being too short. I can always use something to tie them and make them shorter, I just like to walk around with them.
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar... 36 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 38 seconds ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 1 minute ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 1 minute ago
- › ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ The Liquid Carbon Upgrade Guide & Impressions Tour 2 minutes ago
- › Back To Square One <$200 HP for Gaming/Classical 3 minutes ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-W1000x vs. Fostex TH-X00 5 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Bighappy
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by areek
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by silvrr
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Hisoundfi
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by droido256
- › OPPO PM-3 by Sophonax
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by starbux61
- › X-18 D2 - Sundown Audio 18" Dual 2-Ohm X-Series Subwoofer by RockeyDA
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse