I'm getting a pair of ATH-M50's soon, but I don't know if I should get the straight or the coiled cable. I'll use them at home for monitoring, but I'm also going to use them walking around such as at school and in the car. I was thinking about getting the straight cable, but I think I'll have to tuck too much of the cable into my pocket when I'm walking around.
Related Forum Threads
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 8/21/11 at 10:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 | Straight Cable --> Short? Last post on 8/26/11 at 1:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable?post #1 of 910/10/11 at 4:56pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/10/11 at 10:47pm
I'm very glad I got myself the coiled cable.
Even coiled the cable extends around ~140cm (~55 inch) before even 'stretching' the coiled part of the cable.
To me the uncoiled version would get very hard to control especially when movement with these phones becomes a factor.
On another note, while you can, I found the pleather pads of the M50s not ideal for a warmer outside climate.
My ears and surrounding skin got relatively hot and sweaty quite quickly due to their tight (relatively) grip and plastic material.
The M50 is my favourite (closed) headphone indoors (at the office mostly or at home while watching movies), I'm just not convinced it's great for walking around outside with.post #3 of 910/11/11 at 7:49am
I'm glad I went with the coiled as well. Can't say for sure about the straight but the coiled cable is manageable for portable use.
Having a huge straight cable wound up for portable use would be impractical I'd imagine.post #4 of 910/11/11 at 2:21pmpost #5 of 910/11/11 at 3:18pmpost #6 of 910/11/11 at 3:46pm
The coiled cable is nice for travel while the straight cable is awesome for everything else. Coiled cables always get tangled up in things and no audio engineer on the move is going to want a coiled cable. I personally would rather shorten the straight cable myself than have a coiled cable.
Over time a coiled cable will get tangled in many things, bend and stress, and eventually be a mess of inconsistently coiled nonsense.post #7 of 910/11/11 at 5:05pm
Personally, I prefer the straight cable, because you can just wrap up the excess and put it away, whereas you have to deal with a heavy cable hanging off your headphones all the time if you get the coiled one. Also, the extra cable is pretty compact, so you can stick it in a pocket if you're not using it... just use a twist-tie
Edited by 50an6xy06r6n - 10/11/11 at 5:06pmpost #8 of 910/11/11 at 5:32pmpost #9 of 910/11/11 at 5:47pm
I got myself the straight version, and I'm happy with it, just because I can walk around my room with the headphones on without worrying about the cable being too short. I can always use something to tie them and make them shorter, I just like to walk around with them.
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Digital Multimeter Extech? 2 seconds ago
- › New to audio with new gear: The Xiang Sheng DA-03A. Don't think you... 15 seconds ago
- › Looking to Upgrade from CAL!s (~$300) 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 3 minutes ago
- › One of the Most Iconic Artists of All Time in Pristine... 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for an upgrade/something different from Sennheiser HD 598s 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Owner's Club / Appreciation /... 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 5 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 8 minutes ago
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude