I'm getting a pair of ATH-M50's soon, but I don't know if I should get the straight or the coiled cable. I'll use them at home for monitoring, but I'm also going to use them walking around such as at school and in the car. I was thinking about getting the straight cable, but I think I'll have to tuck too much of the cable into my pocket when I'm walking around.
Related Forum Threads
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 8/21/11 at 10:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 | Straight Cable --> Short? Last post on 8/26/11 at 1:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/6/15
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 8/24/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
[Originally reviewed at Basshead.Club] How do they do it? Brainwavz continues to impress with its budget-friendly new Jive IEM for Android and iOS devices. Brainwavz Jive In the...
This is my review for the new S3 from Brainwavz. Nicknamed the silver bullet for it's silver color and long slender shape. Thanks to Brainwavz for the S3 review sample. I have previously had the...
Hi all, I just want to say that it's my first review done on a product but I'm very proud to do it on a FIIO product. Review of the new FIIO EX1 In-ear Monitors. I will use the EX1 with the FIIO X1...
Many thanks to RHA for RHA T20 Tour Program! The T20 unit in this review is demo unit from the RHA T20 Tour Program: http://www.head-fi.org/t/770875/rha-t20-tour-program-reviewers-wanted Product...
The WA22 is my third Desktop Amp and second tube amp. I got it through AV One, a local retailer here, after 2 rounds of testing and I was impressed enough to purchase it. Built like a tank...
ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable?post #1 of 910/10/11 at 4:56pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/10/11 at 10:47pm
I'm very glad I got myself the coiled cable.
Even coiled the cable extends around ~140cm (~55 inch) before even 'stretching' the coiled part of the cable.
To me the uncoiled version would get very hard to control especially when movement with these phones becomes a factor.
On another note, while you can, I found the pleather pads of the M50s not ideal for a warmer outside climate.
My ears and surrounding skin got relatively hot and sweaty quite quickly due to their tight (relatively) grip and plastic material.
The M50 is my favourite (closed) headphone indoors (at the office mostly or at home while watching movies), I'm just not convinced it's great for walking around outside with.post #3 of 910/11/11 at 7:49am
I'm glad I went with the coiled as well. Can't say for sure about the straight but the coiled cable is manageable for portable use.
Having a huge straight cable wound up for portable use would be impractical I'd imagine.post #4 of 910/11/11 at 2:21pmpost #5 of 910/11/11 at 3:18pmpost #6 of 910/11/11 at 3:46pm
The coiled cable is nice for travel while the straight cable is awesome for everything else. Coiled cables always get tangled up in things and no audio engineer on the move is going to want a coiled cable. I personally would rather shorten the straight cable myself than have a coiled cable.
Over time a coiled cable will get tangled in many things, bend and stress, and eventually be a mess of inconsistently coiled nonsense.post #7 of 910/11/11 at 5:05pm
Personally, I prefer the straight cable, because you can just wrap up the excess and put it away, whereas you have to deal with a heavy cable hanging off your headphones all the time if you get the coiled one. Also, the extra cable is pretty compact, so you can stick it in a pocket if you're not using it... just use a twist-tie
Edited by 50an6xy06r6n - 10/11/11 at 5:06pmpost #8 of 910/11/11 at 5:32pmpost #9 of 910/11/11 at 5:47pm
I got myself the straight version, and I'm happy with it, just because I can walk around my room with the headphones on without worrying about the cable being too short. I can always use something to tie them and make them shorter, I just like to walk around with them.
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › JVC HA-FX700 review : WOODEN KING of Dynamic iems 52 seconds ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 2 minutes ago
- › Custom Art's First Foray into Acrylic CIEMs: Ei.3 3 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 4 minutes ago
- › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Jive by Luckbad
- › Brainwavz S3 by jant71
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by pixelsphotopro
- › RHA T20 by earfonia
- › Woo Audio WA22 by tassardar
- › CustomArt Ei.XX 6-driver CIEM - MassDrop edition by twister6
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by LaRevolu
- › Nuforce NE800M by Dsnuts
- › Chord&Major 5'14 "World" by BloodyPenguin
- › Woo Audio WA 6 SE by PETEREK
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2