i want to purchase one of these 2 headphones. they both seem very good but the hd 518 has better rating at headroom. i am wondering which one is better when it comes to sound quality and comfort. the hd 558 in find a little pricey so i want to know if the difference in sound quality between the two is huge or not. which one is better?
Related Forum Threads
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need upgrade advice! Last post on 1/3/12 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598, 558, 518; which one do you recommend me? Last post on 1/8/13 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread Last post on Today at 4:17 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Needing guidance with Sennheiser Last post on 9/19/11 at 4:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/21/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Admittedly, I took far too long to post this review. I wanted to try a different approach that involved becoming accustomed to the signature followed by a period without them, and then a...
FiiO has been quite successful with their X series of high resolution digital audio player. So much so that perhaps even they themselves didn’t anticipate that the company will have to shift its...
I bought these at less than half retail on a whim from Audio Advisor, looking to replace my aging Sennheiser HD 580's. Look at the picture...these are VERY NICELY made headphones! All aluminum...
The HM5 Velours are quite simply, an uber-comfortable pad for HM5/Shure/Beyer/ATH/(most large circumaural headphones). I was offered a review sample from Brainwavz and have the following to say...
Almost 2 months with these gems. I simply love these IEMs. I paired them against my Shure SE215 and the Havi B3 Pro 1 and I briefly pit them against the UE700s and Klipsch S4II. I am definitely no...
Sennheiser HD 518 vs HD 558
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 99/20/11 at 3:22pmpost #3 of 99/20/11 at 3:56pmpost #4 of 911/11/11 at 10:37am
Just ordered 518s so I'll let you know about those hopefully on Wednesday of next week. I'm sad to find that both the 518s and 558s come with 6.3 mm jacks rather than 3.5 mm. They both come with adapters, but I've heard they are bit bulky. If any of you do order either, order from BestBuy.com There is a significant price difference between them and Sennheiser's website. If anyone gets the 558s post back so I can know if I made the right decision with the 518s. Thanks!post #5 of 911/11/11 at 10:43am
i have the 558 and I like it. The 518 probably has a better rating because of the performance to price ratio, but I doubt it will outperform the high model (just as the 598 > 558).
The 558 can be had for $120 so if you are paying anywhere close to full price for the 518 (100) you would be better off getting the 558. If you can find the 518 for less however...post #6 of 911/16/11 at 6:53pmThread Starterpost #7 of 911/16/11 at 7:04pmpost #8 of 911/21/11 at 4:10am
Hey guys! I have the 518 and the sound it produces is almost basically the same as the 558 and 598. Refer to the link below showing their frequency and wave responses.
Listening to all 3 though, which I had the luck of doing, I would say the 518 has the most bass presence while the 598 has the most forward highs and mids. The 558 is obviously the middle ground or the more balanced of the three. Overall I'm very pleased with my 518 paired with a fiio E11 and ipod 5.5 rockboxed.
Anyway, here are my impressions of the 518:
Lastly, in terms of comfort, I've been able to listen to my 518 for 8+ hours without having to ever fidget with the ear cups or the headband. The ambient temp in my room is between 25-27*C so that's pretty good in my book. The main difference though between the 518 and the 558 in terms of the ear cups would be the material used. The 558 has the awesome velour that SENNS are known for while the 518 has a velour type version which has more grain and has a square edge compared to the 558.
Hope this helps!
Edited by PKPnytheta47 - 11/21/11 at 4:13ampost #9 of 911/21/11 at 4:17am
I've opened my 518 to see if the black tape /foam mod can be done and it doesn't have it (the tape / foam that is). In any case, it doesn't need the mod because the 518 actually has more bass presence than the 558.
As for increasing the bass, pairing it with an AMP definitely made my 518 sound richer and fuller with more ooomph in the base. I compared the fiio E7 and E11 and opted for the E11 since it made the 518 better sounding with my setup.
- Sennheiser HD 518 vs HD 558
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 1 minute ago
- › New Audio Technica Woodies: ATH-W1000Z announced 2 minutes ago
- › M-Audio HDH50 - the successor to the popular Q40 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 2 minutes ago
- › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E9 Review 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Kamakahah
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by ClieOS
- › HiFiMAN HE-300 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by JoeDoe
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by audiobean
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by donnot
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)