i want to purchase one of these 2 headphones. they both seem very good but the hd 518 has better rating at headroom. i am wondering which one is better when it comes to sound quality and comfort. the hd 558 in find a little pricey so i want to know if the difference in sound quality between the two is huge or not. which one is better?
Related Forum Threads
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need upgrade advice! Last post on 1/3/12 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598, 558, 518; which one do you recommend me? Last post on 1/8/13 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread Last post on 6/28/16 at 10:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Needing guidance with Sennheiser Last post on 9/19/11 at 4:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The iFi Audio Micro iDSD was sent to me by iFi with help from their Norwegian distributor Audioaktøren for the purpose of doing this review and including it in my recently started $250+ amp/DAC...
This is pretty much the same weightless, rickety, tiny player apparently offered by Kogan, oRiver, Ritmix, etc. It comes decently boxed with a soft pouch, USB cable, and nice looking (if...
Aune M2 Pro Review Intro : Since the past few years I had kept myself away from trying out any new DAPs or audio gear since I was pretty satisfied with my Fiio X5 (1st gen) and Sansa Clip...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
Sennheiser HD 518 vs HD 558
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 99/20/11 at 3:22pmpost #3 of 99/20/11 at 3:56pmpost #4 of 911/11/11 at 10:37am
Just ordered 518s so I'll let you know about those hopefully on Wednesday of next week. I'm sad to find that both the 518s and 558s come with 6.3 mm jacks rather than 3.5 mm. They both come with adapters, but I've heard they are bit bulky. If any of you do order either, order from BestBuy.com There is a significant price difference between them and Sennheiser's website. If anyone gets the 558s post back so I can know if I made the right decision with the 518s. Thanks!post #5 of 911/11/11 at 10:43am
i have the 558 and I like it. The 518 probably has a better rating because of the performance to price ratio, but I doubt it will outperform the high model (just as the 598 > 558).
The 558 can be had for $120 so if you are paying anywhere close to full price for the 518 (100) you would be better off getting the 558. If you can find the 518 for less however...post #6 of 911/16/11 at 6:53pmThread Starterpost #7 of 911/16/11 at 7:04pmpost #8 of 911/21/11 at 4:10am
Hey guys! I have the 518 and the sound it produces is almost basically the same as the 558 and 598. Refer to the link below showing their frequency and wave responses.
Listening to all 3 though, which I had the luck of doing, I would say the 518 has the most bass presence while the 598 has the most forward highs and mids. The 558 is obviously the middle ground or the more balanced of the three. Overall I'm very pleased with my 518 paired with a fiio E11 and ipod 5.5 rockboxed.
Anyway, here are my impressions of the 518:
Lastly, in terms of comfort, I've been able to listen to my 518 for 8+ hours without having to ever fidget with the ear cups or the headband. The ambient temp in my room is between 25-27*C so that's pretty good in my book. The main difference though between the 518 and the 558 in terms of the ear cups would be the material used. The 558 has the awesome velour that SENNS are known for while the 518 has a velour type version which has more grain and has a square edge compared to the 558.
Hope this helps!
Edited by PKPnytheta47 - 11/21/11 at 4:13ampost #9 of 911/21/11 at 4:17am
I've opened my 518 to see if the black tape /foam mod can be done and it doesn't have it (the tape / foam that is). In any case, it doesn't need the mod because the 518 actually has more bass presence than the 558.
As for increasing the bass, pairing it with an AMP definitely made my 518 sound richer and fuller with more ooomph in the base. I compared the fiio E7 and E11 and opted for the E11 since it made the 518 better sounding with my setup.
- Sennheiser HD 518 vs HD 558
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Astell&Kern AK380 25 seconds ago
- › Venture Electronics VE Zen 2.0 impressions and discussion thread 43 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 45 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 2 minutes ago
- › September 10th, 2016: Arizona Head-Fi Meet Q3 2016 2 minutes ago
- › Newbie looking for IEMs with bass under/around $250 - previously... 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 4 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 5 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by peter123
- › Basic M90 by Lad3
- › Aune M2 32BIT DSD portable music player by Faheem
- › Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable, 78548 by twister6
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...