i want to purchase one of these 2 headphones. they both seem very good but the hd 518 has better rating at headroom. i am wondering which one is better when it comes to sound quality and comfort. the hd 558 in find a little pricey so i want to know if the difference in sound quality between the two is huge or not. which one is better?
Related Forum Threads
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need upgrade advice! Last post on 1/3/12 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598, 558, 518; which one do you recommend me? Last post on 1/8/13 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread Last post on 1/23/17 at 9:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Needing guidance with Sennheiser Last post on 9/19/11 at 4:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONEvery so often as a reviewer you get a surprise – something not quite expected. Sometimes its...
Hello, This is my first review on Head-Fi, or anywhere else for that matter. I will not go through the normal paces of creating a review based on the set pattern of product history, build and...
The detail, imaging, and sound-staging are accurate and bring your headphones the neutral platform they need in order to perform the way their engineers intended. The DAC is the high point of...
First Impression When I first listened to HD380Pro, I thought that I received a far more expensive headphone. After an hour or so of using them, I still felt that they sound better than...
Greetings Head-fi! In a past long gone, wireless audio was scoffed at for it's spotty connections, bulky modules, and compromised sound quality. Over the years technology has advanced and great...
Sennheiser HD 518 vs HD 558
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 99/20/11 at 3:22pmpost #3 of 99/20/11 at 3:56pmpost #4 of 911/11/11 at 10:37am
Just ordered 518s so I'll let you know about those hopefully on Wednesday of next week. I'm sad to find that both the 518s and 558s come with 6.3 mm jacks rather than 3.5 mm. They both come with adapters, but I've heard they are bit bulky. If any of you do order either, order from BestBuy.com There is a significant price difference between them and Sennheiser's website. If anyone gets the 558s post back so I can know if I made the right decision with the 518s. Thanks!post #5 of 911/11/11 at 10:43am
i have the 558 and I like it. The 518 probably has a better rating because of the performance to price ratio, but I doubt it will outperform the high model (just as the 598 > 558).
The 558 can be had for $120 so if you are paying anywhere close to full price for the 518 (100) you would be better off getting the 558. If you can find the 518 for less however...post #6 of 911/16/11 at 6:53pmThread Starterpost #7 of 911/16/11 at 7:04pmpost #8 of 911/21/11 at 4:10am
Hey guys! I have the 518 and the sound it produces is almost basically the same as the 558 and 598. Refer to the link below showing their frequency and wave responses.
Listening to all 3 though, which I had the luck of doing, I would say the 518 has the most bass presence while the 598 has the most forward highs and mids. The 558 is obviously the middle ground or the more balanced of the three. Overall I'm very pleased with my 518 paired with a fiio E11 and ipod 5.5 rockboxed.
Anyway, here are my impressions of the 518:
Lastly, in terms of comfort, I've been able to listen to my 518 for 8+ hours without having to ever fidget with the ear cups or the headband. The ambient temp in my room is between 25-27*C so that's pretty good in my book. The main difference though between the 518 and the 558 in terms of the ear cups would be the material used. The 558 has the awesome velour that SENNS are known for while the 518 has a velour type version which has more grain and has a square edge compared to the 558.
Hope this helps!
Edited by PKPnytheta47 - 11/21/11 at 4:13ampost #9 of 911/21/11 at 4:17am
I've opened my 518 to see if the black tape /foam mod can be done and it doesn't have it (the tape / foam that is). In any case, it doesn't need the mod because the 518 actually has more bass presence than the 558.
As for increasing the bass, pairing it with an AMP definitely made my 518 sound richer and fuller with more ooomph in the base. I compared the fiio E7 and E11 and opted for the E11 since it made the 518 better sounding with my setup.
- Sennheiser HD 518 vs HD 558
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Washington《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC... 5 seconds ago
- › USA《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC sPeCiaLisT baBA... 41 seconds ago
- › New here, looking for headphone advice. 1 minute ago
- › Birmingham《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC... 1 minute ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chandigarh《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC... 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › Jalandhar《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC... 4 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Kuwait《≼TaNtRa((!!))MANTRA≽》+91-9958802839 bLaCk maGiC sPeCiaLisT... 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by B9Scrambler
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by TwinACStacks
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by SOULSIK
- › Brainwavz B200 by earfonia
- › iBasso Audio DX200 Reference DAP by H20Fidelity
- › Focal Utopia by Aornic
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear