Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Is Sansa Clip + really that good?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Sansa Clip + really that good?!  

post #1 of 467
Thread Starter 

Hmm I have a sansa clip + and it is alright I suppose, Would I get much of an improvement from something like a Cowon player?


Edited by nicholars - 4/13/13 at 11:17am
post #2 of 467

I had a Clip+ and i don't understand all the love it gets either.

post #3 of 467

The clip works extremely well with IEMs due to its low output impedance. Low output impedance generally is a very good thing to have imo with any low impedance cans below 100 ohm. On a certain "blog" from an engineer's perspective, you will find a review of the clip+ vs ipod touch backed by measurements amongst many many technical articles.


Edited by kite7 - 9/16/11 at 1:26pm
post #4 of 467
Thread Starter 

I thought low output impedance was worse ebcause it cannot power as many headphones?

 

The feeling I get from the Clip + is that it is quite accurate but it doesnt amplify the sound very much thus making it sound a bit flat.... Whereas if I plug the same IEM's into my desktop amplifier they sound more amplified / dynamic and less flat.

post #5 of 467

No. Low output impedance has nothing to do with the ability to "power" headphones; low output impedance means you won't expect a load eg. a headphone drastically and unpredictably alter the device's frequency response in undesirable ways. Since the clip's output impedance is around only 1 ohm, its FR is flat without a load and still hardly changes with a load.

post #6 of 467
People love the clip+ because

  1. It's cheap.
  2. There's that nice microdisc slot
  3. You can Rockbox it.
  4. Decent sound for its size, especially with iems with low impedance
  5. Did I mention Roxkbox?
post #7 of 467

I have a Clip + and I find it sounds great. I'm using Audio Technica IEMs which listed originally for a hundred bucks bet were on sale for 40. The combination is great. It's seems a bit weak for my Portapros, but it still sounds great with my Grado SR60i phones. For the money it's great. It seems it only does music, no pictures, internet, or anything else. I really like it.

post #8 of 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertrash View Post

I have a Clip + and I find it sounds great. I'm using Audio Technica IEMs which listed originally for a hundred bucks bet were on sale for 40. The combination is great. It's seems a bit weak for my Portapros, but it still sounds great with my Grado SR60i phones. For the money it's great. It seems it only does music, no pictures, internet, or anything else. I really like it.



You should Rockbox it.wink.gif

post #9 of 467
it is a great little player, but i was let down by the build, the headphone jack came loose, and i fixed it 3 times, utill one of the capacitors came off the last time i tried. Im getting an iPod classic now.
post #10 of 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

it is a great little player, but i was let down by the build, the headphone jack came loose, and i fixed it 3 times, utill one of the capacitors came off the last time i tried. Im getting an iPod classic now.


Mine is nearly two years old and  still works flawlessly.wink.gif

post #11 of 467

Price to sound ratio, you can't beat it. Everyone in my family has one.

post #12 of 467
i obviously was unlucky. I did love it tho, and looked after it well, shame it only lasted 6 months... Im getting an iPod classic 160gb (i like lots of space) with a fiio E11 and L9. Should be a nice setup
post #13 of 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Hmm I have a sansa clip + and it is alright I suppose but I am not sure why people seem to worship it so much?

 

Would I get much of an improvement from something like a Cowon player?

You have a Cowon. I don't see any reason to get Sansa Clip+. Rockbox is very nice, Cowon's colorful EQ is also wonderful -- they can sound different, but improvement.... ?
 

 

post #14 of 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1978jp View Post



You have a Cowon. I don't see any reason to get Sansa Clip+. Rockbox is very nice, Cowon's colorful EQ is also wonderful -- they can sound different, but improvement.... ?
 

 


I think you read the OP wrong.....

 

post #15 of 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post




I think you read the OP wrong.....

 

You are right, he doesn't have a Cowon. My hangover got me...
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Is Sansa Clip + really that good?!