Related Forum Threads
- Custom or Universal at ~$200~$400? Last post on 6/10/12 at 1:33am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- I want to have a baby! Anyone help? (Reps please read) Last post on 6/6/12 at 6:25am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recabling the VSonic GR07 Please Help! Last post on 10/14/11 at 1:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Re-shell Klipsch Custom 2 or get new phones? Last post on 10/9/11 at 12:14am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- 500€ Budget: Custom or Universals ? Last post on 10/7/11 at 2:05am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- AdvertiseLast edited: 12/16/10
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
I first used these as monitoring headphones for recording. They quickly moved out of my home studio and now I use them everywhere. I have one pair at home and one pair at work. I also take them...
The Good: Price/Quality ratio; Comfort; Bass quality/quantity; Musicality; Imaging. The Bad: Requires a powerful amplifier. Tonal Balance: V-Shaped Style: Circumaural semi-open. Cost: $250 at...
Custom IEM DYNAMIC driver reshelling service ≤ Ø14mm - $220 - Page 5post #61 of 1189/20/11 at 5:16am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 1189/20/11 at 5:17am
I admire the desire to experiment vs risk... but um, would never chip in myself. It's even worse than manually re-damping dynamic headphones lol. and just look at the results measured by Tyll for DIY orthos ...
It's pretty unlikely the people who make the reshells actually measure anything and adjust the dampening, or filters/etc... So you could easily get severe THD+N or FR problems.
Edited by svyr - 9/20/11 at 5:19ampost #63 of 1189/20/11 at 5:27amThread Starter
Don't worry I agree reshelling something like EX600/800ST/1000 is highly risky and a bit stupid.
As long as I'm doing something pioneering and a little bit different I don't mind if there's a negative risk involved, Thousand Sound has the most experience with dynamics so if this reshell doesn't work then none will.post #64 of 1189/20/11 at 5:37amlol, the thing is, if they make them and measure them, and the measurements have clear resonances/THD+N or IMD problems and/or FR artifacts, they shouldn't even send it back to you, since they've just wasted $250 for you and a pair of working, but lower end IEMs...
You should inquire about 'options' WRT the above scenario.... (aside from going - 'yea, I really liked my $250...and dodgy IEMs')post #65 of 1189/20/11 at 6:14amThread Starter
Well, if I pretend for a moment that my EX600's coat themselves on the inside with acrylic, and then I take the tips off and they magically start growing and extending into my ear canal with the most perfect shape physically possible, that ought to sound pretty decent.
Him and his assisstant use a top of the line Danish in-ear simulator so I'd expect them to at least measure a few graphs and not send back a POS to their overseas clients.
At the end of the day I think it's about the universal you're intending to reshell and the intuitive risk involved, for example Yuin made excellent sounding drivers and just put them inside the first 50 cent housings they could find.post #66 of 1189/20/11 at 6:48am
Are you saying Thousand Sounds has B & K equipment? Because the photos I have seen, their equipment is the same used by UM.
Yes, Yuin does use lack luster housing, but imagine the research predicated on those housings that have been around for decades.
Ugly, but wise, says the Wizard.
Edited by FullCircle - 9/20/11 at 6:53ampost #67 of 1189/20/11 at 7:03amThread Starter
Yes, I've seen a picture of a B&K device and a G.R.A.S. device.
What do UM use?
Edit: I only saw a picture of the B&K, but they have written they use the G.R.A.S.
Edited by kiteki - 9/20/11 at 7:10ampost #68 of 1189/20/11 at 7:04amThread StarterQuote:
Yes?post #69 of 1189/20/11 at 7:11amQuote:
Dynamic or not, that's always a probable risk (more or less) with any reshell.
Now, my question is, if UM offers a hybrid (Merlin), which too consists of a dynamic within a custom shell, why is it deemed nearly impossible? Before anyone answers, don't interpret that statement as questioning the validity of anyone's claims here, . I'm merely asking because I have to feed this! *points to brain*post #70 of 1189/20/11 at 7:37amThread Starter
Who said anything about "nearly impossible"? I must have missed something?
@noelhu - the general idea is that custom IEM's sound better than universal IEM's, the 100% perfect fit without using a tip and the workmanship involved tend to achieve a better sound than universals, that's why people reshell, not because they can't get a good fit with their universal, that's very rare afaik.
Edited by kiteki - 9/20/11 at 7:44ampost #71 of 1189/20/11 at 7:50amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by i2ehan
Now, my question is, if UM offers a hybrid (Merlin), which too consists of a dynamic within a custom shell, why is it deemed nearly impossible? Before anyone answers, don't interpret that statement as questioning the validity of anyone's claims here, . I'm merely asking because I have to feed this! *points to brain*
I can send UM an email if you want and check the fine details... but if they're already charging $210 for a BA reshell I'd estimate $300+ for a dynamic driver reshell, and then we have to factor in the cables and shipping. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think anyone will be interested in an experimental project at that price..?post #72 of 1189/20/11 at 8:00amThread Starterpost #73 of 1189/20/11 at 12:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by svyr
you guys are sooo crazy.
With BAs there is little dependence of sound on housing material and dampening (the only thing the sound goes through is the tubes/acoustic filter, since BAs are otherwise sealed)
With dyn drivers, the sound very much depends on the tuning vs housing. UM probably wouldn't touch it, because it's insane to think they can tuned a single dynamic or 2 drivers and in an acrylic housing.
save some money, and get some BA customs
Oh, I thought that the whole community of Head-fi is a bit "insane" :D isn't it?
There're companies like Future Sonic or new Wan Xuan i9 pro which use DD. So it's not impossible to make custom DD iem. It's seems just a little bit harder to do so.
I take kiteki's side - it's pioneering and I consider it fun regardless the cost. :)post #74 of 1189/20/11 at 4:21pm
In my opinion, the Hybrid from UM is a different situation. UM has designed one particular Dynamic driver to produce bass/low freq. Low frequencies can tolerate changes in houseing, refractions, defractions etc etc better than high frequencies.
FYI, Kim Fisher at Fisher Hearing Technologies, AKA "InEarz" offered a dynamic driver IEM years back. He actually would purchase a popular non-custom Dynamic products, pull the driver and instal it in a shell, and call it his own product.
I am not knocking his procedure, I'm just saying he has experience, and may be able to help. That said, I do not think he has the equipment to "Tune" or I might should say, "asses" the newly molded CIEMs. By that I mean, tunning.... if one was to want to get back to original SQ, it would be like being handed a closed combination lock and being told to open it. There are sooooo many parameters one would have to address to try to get that thing in "sync" to original specs.
The Wizard (AKA "Keyser Soze" of the CIEM under world) would humbly decline such a request.post #75 of 1189/20/11 at 4:42pmThread Starter
I think some people are missing the point, it's not important to us to retain the exact same signature as before, and I think such a reqeust would be fruitless and confusing to the C-IEM maker.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom IEM DYNAMIC driver reshelling service ≤ Ø14mm - $220
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › B&O H3 erabuds upgrade 55 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR1-ABT Impressions 1 minute ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 1 minute ago
- › New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS) 1 minute ago
- › Please help me choose an amp (or amp/dac) for my Beyerdynamic DT... 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love? 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 3 minutes ago
- › Double Helix Cables Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Repair Beyer Dynamic DT 990 4 minutes ago
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › ZhiYin Z2016 by crabdog
- › InEar StageDiver SD-4 (Small) by twister6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...