Related Forum Threads
- Custom or Universal at ~$200~$400? Last post on 6/10/12 at 1:33am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- I want to have a baby! Anyone help? (Reps please read) Last post on 6/6/12 at 6:25am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recabling the VSonic GR07 Please Help! Last post on 10/14/11 at 1:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Re-shell Klipsch Custom 2 or get new phones? Last post on 10/9/11 at 12:14am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- 500€ Budget: Custom or Universals ? Last post on 10/7/11 at 2:05am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- AdvertiseLast edited: 12/16/10
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Sennheiser US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. While waiting to receive my review unit of recently...
What's In The Box? The cardboard box itself is a cute little deal, with the Noble logo and the Wizard's signature. On the top left, the model and serial number are handwritten (apparently I'm the...
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
Have been listening to my new iCAN Micro for couple weeks now. Before that I use the headphone output directly out of my iDSD Micro. First of all i just want to say that iDSD Micro is great....
A little background before I start. I'm 16 years old and I slowly began to become addicted to fine, audiophile-quality headphones. I remember the first time I heard beats at an apple store. I...
Custom IEM DYNAMIC driver reshelling service ≤ Ø14mm - $220 - Page 5post #61 of 1189/20/11 at 5:16am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 1189/20/11 at 5:17am
I admire the desire to experiment vs risk... but um, would never chip in myself. It's even worse than manually re-damping dynamic headphones lol. and just look at the results measured by Tyll for DIY orthos ...
It's pretty unlikely the people who make the reshells actually measure anything and adjust the dampening, or filters/etc... So you could easily get severe THD+N or FR problems.
Edited by svyr - 9/20/11 at 5:19ampost #63 of 1189/20/11 at 5:27amThread Starter
Don't worry I agree reshelling something like EX600/800ST/1000 is highly risky and a bit stupid.
As long as I'm doing something pioneering and a little bit different I don't mind if there's a negative risk involved, Thousand Sound has the most experience with dynamics so if this reshell doesn't work then none will.post #64 of 1189/20/11 at 5:37amlol, the thing is, if they make them and measure them, and the measurements have clear resonances/THD+N or IMD problems and/or FR artifacts, they shouldn't even send it back to you, since they've just wasted $250 for you and a pair of working, but lower end IEMs...
You should inquire about 'options' WRT the above scenario.... (aside from going - 'yea, I really liked my $250...and dodgy IEMs')post #65 of 1189/20/11 at 6:14amThread Starter
Well, if I pretend for a moment that my EX600's coat themselves on the inside with acrylic, and then I take the tips off and they magically start growing and extending into my ear canal with the most perfect shape physically possible, that ought to sound pretty decent.
Him and his assisstant use a top of the line Danish in-ear simulator so I'd expect them to at least measure a few graphs and not send back a POS to their overseas clients.
At the end of the day I think it's about the universal you're intending to reshell and the intuitive risk involved, for example Yuin made excellent sounding drivers and just put them inside the first 50 cent housings they could find.post #66 of 1189/20/11 at 6:48am
Are you saying Thousand Sounds has B & K equipment? Because the photos I have seen, their equipment is the same used by UM.
Yes, Yuin does use lack luster housing, but imagine the research predicated on those housings that have been around for decades.
Ugly, but wise, says the Wizard.
Edited by FullCircle - 9/20/11 at 6:53ampost #67 of 1189/20/11 at 7:03amThread Starter
Yes, I've seen a picture of a B&K device and a G.R.A.S. device.
What do UM use?
Edit: I only saw a picture of the B&K, but they have written they use the G.R.A.S.
Edited by kiteki - 9/20/11 at 7:10ampost #68 of 1189/20/11 at 7:04amThread StarterQuote:
Yes?post #69 of 1189/20/11 at 7:11amQuote:
Dynamic or not, that's always a probable risk (more or less) with any reshell.
Now, my question is, if UM offers a hybrid (Merlin), which too consists of a dynamic within a custom shell, why is it deemed nearly impossible? Before anyone answers, don't interpret that statement as questioning the validity of anyone's claims here, . I'm merely asking because I have to feed this! *points to brain*post #70 of 1189/20/11 at 7:37amThread Starter
Who said anything about "nearly impossible"? I must have missed something?
@noelhu - the general idea is that custom IEM's sound better than universal IEM's, the 100% perfect fit without using a tip and the workmanship involved tend to achieve a better sound than universals, that's why people reshell, not because they can't get a good fit with their universal, that's very rare afaik.
Edited by kiteki - 9/20/11 at 7:44ampost #71 of 1189/20/11 at 7:50amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by i2ehan
Now, my question is, if UM offers a hybrid (Merlin), which too consists of a dynamic within a custom shell, why is it deemed nearly impossible? Before anyone answers, don't interpret that statement as questioning the validity of anyone's claims here, . I'm merely asking because I have to feed this! *points to brain*
I can send UM an email if you want and check the fine details... but if they're already charging $210 for a BA reshell I'd estimate $300+ for a dynamic driver reshell, and then we have to factor in the cables and shipping. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think anyone will be interested in an experimental project at that price..?post #72 of 1189/20/11 at 8:00amThread Starterpost #73 of 1189/20/11 at 12:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by svyr
you guys are sooo crazy.
With BAs there is little dependence of sound on housing material and dampening (the only thing the sound goes through is the tubes/acoustic filter, since BAs are otherwise sealed)
With dyn drivers, the sound very much depends on the tuning vs housing. UM probably wouldn't touch it, because it's insane to think they can tuned a single dynamic or 2 drivers and in an acrylic housing.
save some money, and get some BA customs
Oh, I thought that the whole community of Head-fi is a bit "insane" :D isn't it?
There're companies like Future Sonic or new Wan Xuan i9 pro which use DD. So it's not impossible to make custom DD iem. It's seems just a little bit harder to do so.
I take kiteki's side - it's pioneering and I consider it fun regardless the cost. :)post #74 of 1189/20/11 at 4:21pm
In my opinion, the Hybrid from UM is a different situation. UM has designed one particular Dynamic driver to produce bass/low freq. Low frequencies can tolerate changes in houseing, refractions, defractions etc etc better than high frequencies.
FYI, Kim Fisher at Fisher Hearing Technologies, AKA "InEarz" offered a dynamic driver IEM years back. He actually would purchase a popular non-custom Dynamic products, pull the driver and instal it in a shell, and call it his own product.
I am not knocking his procedure, I'm just saying he has experience, and may be able to help. That said, I do not think he has the equipment to "Tune" or I might should say, "asses" the newly molded CIEMs. By that I mean, tunning.... if one was to want to get back to original SQ, it would be like being handed a closed combination lock and being told to open it. There are sooooo many parameters one would have to address to try to get that thing in "sync" to original specs.
The Wizard (AKA "Keyser Soze" of the CIEM under world) would humbly decline such a request.post #75 of 1189/20/11 at 4:42pmThread Starter
I think some people are missing the point, it's not important to us to retain the exact same signature as before, and I think such a reqeust would be fruitless and confusing to the C-IEM maker.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom IEM DYNAMIC driver reshelling service ≤ Ø14mm - $220
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 45 seconds ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 4 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U2 sound missing in noise cancelling mode 5 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 6 minutes ago
- › The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared 8 minutes ago
- › f/s: Sennheiser HD 598 9 minutes ago
- › FS: Stax SR-007 MK2 Black 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › xDuoo X2 by getclikinagas
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by De1taE1even
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by De1taE1even
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2