Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › BA vs. Dynamic drivers: A discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BA vs. Dynamic drivers: A discussion

post #1 of 134
Thread Starter 

This thread is created to avoid derailing already-established threads. It also provides a platform for all who wish to talk about this subject.

 

I personally believe that BA can crank out a ton of details, but its naturalness and ease at producing music cannot reach that of a dynamic driver.


Edited by 3602 - 8/14/11 at 5:25pm
post #2 of 134

Well, when I got my JVC FX700, I could hear more details in my music with them than with any BA I previously tried, including multi drivers such as the SE530, SM3, UM3X, Triple.fi, Westone 3, ES3X, DBA-02, Q-jays, etc.

post #3 of 134

what about soundstage? which one does better? BA or dynamic?

post #4 of 134

BA's and DD's both have their pros and cons. Neither is the better than one another really. Like the OP said, BA's are a great choice for detail and clarity while DD's are a great choice for naturalness and coherency. When we approach the top of the line IEM's the faults in either the BA or DD speakers are amazingly reduced and it all comes down to overall sound preference.

post #5 of 134

popcorn.gif

post #6 of 134

FX700 also has the largest soundstage of any IEM I've heard, including all the BAs I tried. It doesn't always sound big - it depends on the recording - but when it does, it sounds HUGE! When I listen to it on a subway train, on some music the sound seems to fill almost the entire train - it extends really far to the left and right and has very good depth as well. It almost gives a surround sound effect. Very impressive. BAs can't sound as airy because FX700 actually has vents so the sound physically comes out of the IEM, whereas with BAs the sound is trapped inside the housing and they just cannot provide the same sense of airiness that the JVCs can.

post #7 of 134

not ALL BA's are sealed. there are a few that are vented and sound big and airy. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

FX700 also has the largest soundstage of any IEM I've heard, including all the BAs I tried. It doesn't always sound big - it depends on the recording - but when it does, it sounds HUGE! When I listen to it on a subway train, on some music the sound seems to fill almost the entire train - it extends really far to the left and right and has very good depth as well. It almost gives a surround sound effect. Very impressive. BAs can't sound as airy because FX700 actually has vents so the sound physically comes out of the IEM, whereas with BAs the sound is trapped inside the housing and they just cannot provide the same sense of airiness that the JVCs can.



 

 

post #8 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

not ALL BA's are sealed. there are a few that are vented and sound big and airy.

 

Well, yeah, but they can only have small vents and I don't think they can sound airy to the extent dynamics like FX700 can. I am not saying BAs cannot provide a convincing illusion of air, but it's not the same as the sound of actual open back dynamics IMO. Each presentation has its pros and cons of course, but I personally prefer the soundstage of open back dynamic headphones, which I think provides a more natural sense of air.

post #9 of 134

which BA's are vented?

post #10 of 134

 

A single dynamic driver is vastly superior to any single BA driver in existence.

 

 

 

Thumbs up if you agree =]

post #11 of 134

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.F.O.A View Post

which BA's are vented?


Final Audio, and they make their own drivers, like Klipsch as well I believe.

 

 

 

post #12 of 134

final audio? gah that one costs like arm and leg, is klipsch vented?

post #13 of 134

I don't know.

 

 

The Final Audio FI-BA-A1, or Heaven A1, isn't too expensive really!

 

 

post #14 of 134

I know the Sleek Audio SA6's are vented with the "bass+" bass chamber plug. I'm sure there are a few others as well. The SA6's sound pretty **** nice for a single balanced armature. A little more sparkle wouldn't hurt, but I like them just about as much as my HD650's. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.F.O.A View Post

which BA's are vented?



 

 

post #15 of 134

You're a genius. Why I never thought of this biggrin.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

A single dynamic driver is vastly superior to any single BA driver in existence.

 

 

 

Thumbs up if you agree =]



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › BA vs. Dynamic drivers: A discussion