Yeah I think I like these more than my CAL!s...I'm just having so much more fun with these.The CAL!s were my first pair of headphones by the way.I still miss my CAL!s though and I would love to still have it with me to do comparisons....Eh well if they didn't break then I wouldn't have found these babies!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Did I do the right thing Last post on 8/10/11 at 11:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need a new pair of closed back headphones Last post on 8/24/11 at 3:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Got my Pioneer HDJ500K, impression of it Last post on 2/12/12 at 3:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Final Decision -- Under $50 Last post on 7/31/11 at 11:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SONY MDR-XB700 or PIONEER HDJ-500??!!!! Last post on 5/11/12 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
Related Head Gear
Build Quality: For something hand built, the overall build quality is quite good. Of course, it isn’t nearly as perfect as something from a plastic molding machine but it is far ahead from the...
Disclaimer: My only other good cans to compare these to are Beyerdynamics DT770 (250). I fully realize this review will be biased because of that. So please keep that in mind. This review is my...
First Impressions: Well, when I first used these, I used them in the same place I'd expect myself to continue using these, on the go from place to place, and while at places outside the...
I bought these this week from amazon.co.uk for £10 including delivery. That's US $15. Packaging, appearance, warranty, euro-nanny knows best: Mine arrived in the small European packaging box,...
Absolutely beautiful little player. It's just a gorgeous chunk of tech that feels good to hold. For me personally tech has to have form as well as function and the AK120 doesn't disappoint on...
The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55... - Page 17
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 4483/13/12 at 7:06pmThread Starter
Trust me. You aren't missing out on much. That bass you are enjoying on the WS55s have nothing to do with CALs.. I think maybe the CALS are technically more proper I suppose but these WS55 isn't too far off plus they have it where is counts. That bone rattling bass! If the cals had this bass that is on the WS55s then those would have been the subject of this thread no? Portable bass kings those aren't.post #243 of 4483/13/12 at 7:29pm
Haha,I guess you're right!Thanks again for giving these a try and making a nice comparison between the two other headphones...I was about to get the AKGs but your review on the AT made me want to try it out.post #244 of 4483/14/12 at 1:28ampost #245 of 4483/14/12 at 5:45am
lol I was just about to ask the same question. I audioned the ws55 today and apart from the excruciating pain from the eacups, the sound was very enjoyable. Soundstage was really impressive and bass was strong. Didn't feel like it intruded on the vocals for me. The problem as I stated is the comfort. Absolutely horrid. Would you mind doing a comparison between the 77 and 55 please.post #246 of 4483/14/12 at 5:52ampost #247 of 4483/14/12 at 6:12amQuote:
Red does look nice, but then you'd be mistaken for wearing beats. I'd personally want to save myself from explaining to said person that these aren't actually beats, these are Audio technica, a high end audio company that actually knows something about sound, unlike "dr" Dre.post #248 of 4483/14/12 at 6:15am
Another thing I forgot to mention, what full size cans are similar to the ws55's signature. Something with the same bass and fun sound but maybe a bit more sparkly vocals. I already have the HTF600's which are sounding good but I want something with better resolution and seperation, as tracks can get muffled sometimes.
Would the 55's older brother be the M50, pro 700 mk2, or something else? Thankspost #249 of 4483/14/12 at 6:15ampost #250 of 4483/14/12 at 7:04pmThread Starter
The CKS77 obviously will have no clamp at all. The sound signature is very similar. Both these have balance with your full bass but I have to admit the sound quality of the CKS77 is a notch higher than the WS55..
The CKS77 also has a nice roomy sound to them and the highs are a bit cleaner as well on them. The mids are a bit more forward and the bass on both are excellent. Much like the WS55 the CKS77s bass comes out to play when the track calls for it. Because of the isolating nature of earphones the sound on the CKS77 is more precise yet retains the same warm musical nature of the WS55. Non fatiguing musical sound with awesome bass..
It will come down to a matter of preference. If you guys are ok with earphones the CKS77 is one of the best bassy earphones on this planet. The WS55 remain a solid portable headphone but for almost the same price the SQ of the CKS77s is even a more refined version of the WS55. But if you aren't ok with earphones or anything in your ears. The WS55 kick ass as they are.
If you guys want to try a nice bassy earphone but don't want to spend a $100 on a CKS77. Try out a CKM50. Those for $25 on overstock.com is a fantastic bassy earphone and those sound much like a earphone version of the M50. The CKS77 would be the upgrade to those. But for the bucks the CKM50 is a blast.
Edited by Dsnuts - 3/14/12 at 7:07pmpost #251 of 4483/14/12 at 10:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by RayleighSilvers
lol I was just about to ask the same question. I audioned the ws55 today and apart from the excruciating pain from the eacups, the sound was very enjoyable. Soundstage was really impressive and bass was strong. Didn't feel like it intruded on the vocals for me. The problem as I stated is the comfort. Absolutely horrid. Would you mind doing a comparison between the 77 and 55 please.
Yeah like I said in my review,the comfort can get to you;but spread them over books over night and it does get better.The sound of these made me accept it and now they feel pleasant on my ears.I have been using cheap headphones for a while before I bought these so...my opinion might be praising them a bit.But I really like these headphones.post #252 of 4483/14/12 at 11:48pmpost #253 of 4483/16/12 at 8:21am
I wouldn't even try to compare the hd205 with them. the hd205 is advertised as a dj headphone, but too flimsy and plasticky to be one. the ws55 is very solid and is no slouch with its sound, while they retail at $79-100, they compete with headphones at the $120-$130, the hd25 sp ii is more of a match than the hd205. natural sounding bass via the air chamber dynamics, warm mids, and sparkly highs.post #254 of 4483/16/12 at 10:07ampost #255 of 4483/16/12 at 4:47pmThread Starter
Well the HTF600s come to mind but you tried those. Wider stage big bass hmm. Maybe the Denon D2000. Look into them. Those usually can be bought used for around $200ish. Read up on them. They might be what your looking for.. Also the HFI-580/ Dj1s also come to mind. But these have a clamp much like the WS55s.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Portable BASS kings..The Pioneer HDJ500 vs AKG 518 LE vs The first look at the new AT WS55 Solid Bass
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The Christiansen "DG" 300B Amplifier Build Thread 45 seconds ago
- › Good portable player for my XB-1000s 1 minute ago
- › Singapore Meet - Interest Check. 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X3 Thread. Full review:... 3 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 5 minutes ago
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!)... 5 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners 6 minutes ago
- › New dude here 6 minutes ago
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40FS Precision StudioPhones by UmustBKidn
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by daleb
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Denon AH-D600 by johangrb
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Sennheiser CX150 Ear-Canal Phones by BadMoose
- › Rhapsodio RDB+ 2v1 by svyr
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by a_recording
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe