Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 12/4/16 at 10:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
A very good DAC and headphone AMP for the price. A clear improvement in sound quality from my laptop for headphones, even ones that already sounded good, this gives a much cleaner,clearer and more...
This is my first really good quality Digital Audio Player. I have used a range of Audiophile headphones on it. If you're used to digital Sony Walkmans of days gone by you will recognize the simple,...
My favorite pair of headphones, and considering I own the Sennheiser HD598s, that is saying something. They look fantastic, very stylish indeed, they are extremely comfortable, infact the ear pads...
These are okay headphones if you can get them for a cheap price (sub £90 ) but probably aren't worth any more than that. Their build quality is solid, despite all the plastic used, and they can be...
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 35post #511 of 93711/14/11 at 11:17amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #512 of 93711/14/11 at 8:50pmThread Starter
If don't know if 200poundsofamp did any mods on these. I just had a quick listen. Not too bad.
Wow, a ton of junk from 8kHz to 20kHz. It doesn't sound as bad as it looks though. I didn't listen to them for very long though.post #513 of 93711/15/11 at 5:08pmpost #514 of 93711/16/11 at 4:34ampost #515 of 93711/16/11 at 6:14pmQuote:
It's the older T20v2. My damping scheme is basically this, I just get get rid of the chamois and stuck a 3/8" plastic reflex dot to the back of the driver.
Some of that weird treble might just be the headphones fault, I don't know. But to my ears that reflex dot mostly boosted everything 7k and up, and that's right where it starts looking really weird.post #516 of 93711/16/11 at 6:34pmpost #517 of 93711/16/11 at 10:12pmThread Starter
Been too busy lately to do much with pre-measurement impressions. These are neat little suckers though. No bass, too much high treble. Sounds like there is a suckout somewhere.
Very clean, little ringing. Lots of high treble, especially on the right channel. Been listening to LCD3s lately, haven't adjusted, so these are giving me a headache.
@200lbs: box should be heading back to you soon. Thank you.
Edited by purrin - 11/16/11 at 10:14pmpost #518 of 93711/16/11 at 10:43pmpost #519 of 93711/17/11 at 2:02amQuote:Originally Posted by 200poundsofamp
lol, like them that much huh?
There was a guy here who did a really thorough comparison of some studio headphones and was hearing pretty much the same thing as you.
Wow, so much going on in here! I'm that guy 200poundsofamp is referring to, and I'm having so much fun reading this post, although I understand that this has to be taken with a dose of scepticism and as another perspective to what you perceive with your ears, but it's really helpful and interesting. I'm glad there's someone who seems to know what he's talking about, and has graphs to prove it :) Thanks, Purrin. That's a nice relief, as I was stunned at how often people would recommend Grados or Shures, just because these cans are made to make you hear things more easily (as opposed to being even and balanced). And thanks to 200poundsofamp for getting back to me and letting me know about this thread! Will stick here and wait for more headphones measurements, as they provide a fresh perspective and a platform to compare your own impressions to. All the best!
Edited by rayjuodas - 11/21/11 at 1:43ampost #520 of 93711/18/11 at 6:02pmQuote:
Yeah, too bad those are probably the most bass lite YH-3s in the world, I really like the upper mids, and those tiny ortho drivers are crazy fast! I bet a bass heavy one would be pretty sweet sounding. If you can get a perfect seal the bass goes from nothing to decent, but they're still pretty lean.
That crazy treble peak can probably be fixed, looks like I went crazy overcompensating for that drop at 10k. I couldn't figure out where that harshness was coming from.
But those look decent, I tried differential dampening so that they'd actually have bass, and I was afraid it would come out really bizarre looking like those T20s. Still a little bit of distorted looking waviness in the upper mids and treble though, but maybe that's because I closed some vents. Maybe you need really even backpressure with orthos?
Yeah, it's really helpful actually seeing how things sounds. Except for that SRH840, which is possessed or something.
Edited by 200poundsofamp - 11/18/11 at 6:11pmpost #521 of 93711/20/11 at 8:00amQuote:
i like hooking my sextetts directly to class A power amps speaker outputs. brings the deep bass extension and high treble extension out but then again i own only the LP version and i have it re-terminated with neutrik 4-pin XLR for speaker output use. same thing with my 240DF's that i have rewired for speaker output use. i use nothing but solid state with them though since i like stuff that is close to straight wire with gain type of sound(basically meaning i like amps with no sound of it's own).
i also know i bumped this thread but it's very interesting i think.post #522 of 93711/23/11 at 6:18ampost #523 of 93711/23/11 at 9:05am
They may be small compared to the new orthos, but they are the same size as the drivers you see in most traditional dynamic headphones around here. So not really all that small. It might be that the only reason ortho drivers are often made so much bigger is because they can- traditional electrodynamic drivers would break up at those sizes.
Thanks for sending in the YH3! Very cool to see, they're my favorite headphones.
Edited by rhythmdevils - 11/27/11 at 11:53ampost #524 of 93711/27/11 at 11:48am
Just curious, purrin, what volume do you measure at? I'm not sure if it's a product of the Burson HA160D amp or the LCD2 R2s but when going to VERY high volumes, the upper mids become intollerable, and it spikes quickly. I'm almost wondering if this is the resonance at 5k even more pronounced at high volumes. Then again, could be the Burson as well, but something gets out of control pretty quickly past a certain volume (thankfully a very high one).post #525 of 93711/27/11 at 12:51pmThread Starter
I can't see the Burson doing that. It's an extremely smooth sounding amp. I do know that I've heard three pairs of r2s, and all of them had treble resonances to varying extents. These resonances are usually tolerable at low to moderate volumes because the of the "Audeze shelf", but I can certainly see that when you really crank up the volume it becomes an issue.
I never listen at loud volumes though, which reminds me of something. Anaxilus (who listens at much louder volumes than me) mentioned that he felt the Burson ran out of steam on several occasions. He'll eventually see this post and respond.
BTW, I measure at 90db or a little bit more.
Edited by purrin - 11/27/11 at 12:52pm
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › DDC - Digital USB interfaces - Xmos or Amanero Combo384 based -... 28 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 29 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 47 seconds ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 55 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - Shipped free in the US 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › New iRiver AK70 7 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 7 minutes ago
- › Simgot EN700 Impressions & Discussion Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear