Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on Yesterday at 5:44 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
My preferred sound signature: A bit bass heavy, forward mids, and neutral treble. Love high detailed and clear sound. *All critical listening is done using a Chord Mojo* In almost every...
Introduction Meze 99 Neo – The new classic headphone from Meze. Meze 99 Neo is the new headphone, or rather a headphone with a twist from the Romanian headphone producer Meze....
The AKG K550 revisited. At the time, shortly after I bought my Audio Technica A900Xs I had auditioned the AKG's and I felt my choice for the A900Xs was the right one. I felt the K550s had this...
I have got these recently and I am very happy with my purchase. Denon has not failed me so far and I have used few of their products. I think somebody in Denon knows that the high quality will make...
Edifier K180 Communicator Earbud In many ways the Edifier H180 is a classic. As of 2017, they have been around for four years, earning a nice reputation at Head-Fi. The slightly different K180...
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 35post #511 of 93711/14/11 at 11:17amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #512 of 93711/14/11 at 8:50pmThread Starter
If don't know if 200poundsofamp did any mods on these. I just had a quick listen. Not too bad.
Wow, a ton of junk from 8kHz to 20kHz. It doesn't sound as bad as it looks though. I didn't listen to them for very long though.post #513 of 93711/15/11 at 5:08pmpost #514 of 93711/16/11 at 4:34ampost #515 of 93711/16/11 at 6:14pmQuote:
It's the older T20v2. My damping scheme is basically this, I just get get rid of the chamois and stuck a 3/8" plastic reflex dot to the back of the driver.
Some of that weird treble might just be the headphones fault, I don't know. But to my ears that reflex dot mostly boosted everything 7k and up, and that's right where it starts looking really weird.post #516 of 93711/16/11 at 6:34pmpost #517 of 93711/16/11 at 10:12pmThread Starter
Been too busy lately to do much with pre-measurement impressions. These are neat little suckers though. No bass, too much high treble. Sounds like there is a suckout somewhere.
Very clean, little ringing. Lots of high treble, especially on the right channel. Been listening to LCD3s lately, haven't adjusted, so these are giving me a headache.
@200lbs: box should be heading back to you soon. Thank you.
Edited by purrin - 11/16/11 at 10:14pmpost #518 of 93711/16/11 at 10:43pmpost #519 of 93711/17/11 at 2:02amQuote:Originally Posted by 200poundsofamp
lol, like them that much huh?
There was a guy here who did a really thorough comparison of some studio headphones and was hearing pretty much the same thing as you.
Wow, so much going on in here! I'm that guy 200poundsofamp is referring to, and I'm having so much fun reading this post, although I understand that this has to be taken with a dose of scepticism and as another perspective to what you perceive with your ears, but it's really helpful and interesting. I'm glad there's someone who seems to know what he's talking about, and has graphs to prove it :) Thanks, Purrin. That's a nice relief, as I was stunned at how often people would recommend Grados or Shures, just because these cans are made to make you hear things more easily (as opposed to being even and balanced). And thanks to 200poundsofamp for getting back to me and letting me know about this thread! Will stick here and wait for more headphones measurements, as they provide a fresh perspective and a platform to compare your own impressions to. All the best!
Edited by rayjuodas - 11/21/11 at 1:43ampost #520 of 93711/18/11 at 6:02pmQuote:
Yeah, too bad those are probably the most bass lite YH-3s in the world, I really like the upper mids, and those tiny ortho drivers are crazy fast! I bet a bass heavy one would be pretty sweet sounding. If you can get a perfect seal the bass goes from nothing to decent, but they're still pretty lean.
That crazy treble peak can probably be fixed, looks like I went crazy overcompensating for that drop at 10k. I couldn't figure out where that harshness was coming from.
But those look decent, I tried differential dampening so that they'd actually have bass, and I was afraid it would come out really bizarre looking like those T20s. Still a little bit of distorted looking waviness in the upper mids and treble though, but maybe that's because I closed some vents. Maybe you need really even backpressure with orthos?
Yeah, it's really helpful actually seeing how things sounds. Except for that SRH840, which is possessed or something.
Edited by 200poundsofamp - 11/18/11 at 6:11pmpost #521 of 93711/20/11 at 8:00amQuote:
i like hooking my sextetts directly to class A power amps speaker outputs. brings the deep bass extension and high treble extension out but then again i own only the LP version and i have it re-terminated with neutrik 4-pin XLR for speaker output use. same thing with my 240DF's that i have rewired for speaker output use. i use nothing but solid state with them though since i like stuff that is close to straight wire with gain type of sound(basically meaning i like amps with no sound of it's own).
i also know i bumped this thread but it's very interesting i think.post #522 of 93711/23/11 at 6:18ampost #523 of 93711/23/11 at 9:05am
They may be small compared to the new orthos, but they are the same size as the drivers you see in most traditional dynamic headphones around here. So not really all that small. It might be that the only reason ortho drivers are often made so much bigger is because they can- traditional electrodynamic drivers would break up at those sizes.
Thanks for sending in the YH3! Very cool to see, they're my favorite headphones.
Edited by rhythmdevils - 11/27/11 at 11:53ampost #524 of 93711/27/11 at 11:48am
Just curious, purrin, what volume do you measure at? I'm not sure if it's a product of the Burson HA160D amp or the LCD2 R2s but when going to VERY high volumes, the upper mids become intollerable, and it spikes quickly. I'm almost wondering if this is the resonance at 5k even more pronounced at high volumes. Then again, could be the Burson as well, but something gets out of control pretty quickly past a certain volume (thankfully a very high one).post #525 of 93711/27/11 at 12:51pmThread Starter
I can't see the Burson doing that. It's an extremely smooth sounding amp. I do know that I've heard three pairs of r2s, and all of them had treble resonances to varying extents. These resonances are usually tolerable at low to moderate volumes because the of the "Audeze shelf", but I can certainly see that when you really crank up the volume it becomes an issue.
I never listen at loud volumes though, which reminds me of something. Anaxilus (who listens at much louder volumes than me) mentioned that he felt the Burson ran out of steam on several occasions. He'll eventually see this post and respond.
BTW, I measure at 90db or a little bit more.
Edited by purrin - 11/27/11 at 12:52pm
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Smyth Research Realiser A16 1 second ago
- › Chord Mojo issue solutions thread. 37 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 57 seconds ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90) 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Katana by EZE99
- › Meze 99 Neo by Dobrescu George
- › AKG K 550 by Mink
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by krenky
- › Edifier K180 by Redcarmoose
- › Mrobo C5 2.0 by crabdog
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ObjectVoice
- › Archeer AH07 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Stereo Over Ear... by genclaymore
- › Wired Earphones, Mixcder X5 In-Ear Earbud Headphones Metal Housing... by slowpickr
- › ARCHEER Bluetooth Speakers Fabric Covering Portable Wireless... by genclaymore
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear