If they're K240's they are EP Sextetts. The only mods are that I replaced the stock perforated plastic grill with speaker cloth. Didn't seem to change much acoustically surprisingly but it's more comfy. I don't hear ringing either, and since Ty'll measurements them not settling down quickly in the impulse response I was thinking it might be the bass that was causing that, which you seem to be hearing. They're semi-open. Basically they are closed headphones with cracks that let the sound out. Purrin, you should check out the passive radiators inside. Just be careful when you remove the pads because the radiators are delicate and the speaker cloth doesn't keep fingers out. It's a nice bit of 70's engineering.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on 6/30/14 at 6:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
- Something has got to be wrong with my system, please help me solve it! Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2
Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 29post #421 of 93710/19/11 at 9:46pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #422 of 93710/19/11 at 9:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
AKG K240 Sextett? (@rdevils can you confirm?)
Very intimate female vocals - heh - which probably means non-linear FR. These need quite a bit of power. Extremes are rolled off. 3-4kHz peak - if any ringing not serious. Smooth sounding. I kind of like these. Bass doesn't appear to extend low like most closed cans, but it sounds more open in nature. Some treble emphasis. Are these ported or something? Bass doesn't sound aligned - like a ported speaker where the lower bass is a little slow in arriving. It's OK though. I like these! If don't want to take them off for measurements, then I must like them.
The six diffusers in the Sextett from which it derives its name is meant to equalize the pressure in front of the baffle and prevent the midbass hump (at least that's how I interpret it). I'm guessing it's through these same diffusers that would perhaps provide a bit of an "echo" in the bass?post #423 of 93710/19/11 at 9:49pmThread Starter
AKG K240 Sextett? (@rdevils can you confirm?)
These are not FR plots. The waterfall plots below only go down to 200Hz not 20Hz!
Closed headphones require bass compensation below ~2kHz which is not applied in these plots.
Ouch I got this one totally wrong! I didn't think the ringing was this severe at all. I didn't hear the ringing at 12kHz and 14khz either (probably because it's hard for us to distinguish specific tones at such higher frequencies - above 10khz.) Putting the headphones back on, I think I can hear the effect, but it's not an unpleasant one. the 4kHz ringing just doesn't seem that bad. This is an odd one.
Edited by purrin - 11/2/11 at 8:02pmpost #424 of 93710/19/11 at 9:51pmpost #425 of 93710/19/11 at 10:03pmThread StarterQuote:
Ahhh. Is that what it is? Passive radiators have a lot of group delay. Probably what I'm hearing. It's a nice bass-reflex box effect - not really noticeable unless I directly come from another open headphone.Quote:
AMUSING OBSERVATION: I have a hard time hearing ringing at 4-5kHz; or if I do hear it, it's inane. For example, while I do hear the typical Grado 5khz ringing, I am actually OK with it. It's the Grado 8-9kHz ringing that hurts me. Most people are sensitive in that area.
I hear zero grain - then again it's probably the Eddie Current Balancing Act (I've decided I'm going to be annoying and promote Craig's stuff at every opportunity because I like his stuff so much). I've got my most laid back tubes in it right now.
Edited by purrin - 10/19/11 at 10:05pmpost #426 of 93710/19/11 at 10:11pmpost #427 of 93710/19/11 at 10:13pmThread StarterQuote:post #428 of 93710/19/11 at 10:19pmQuote:
Yeah whenever I take my Sextetts to meets and plug them into beastly amps like yours I don't hear the grain. Meet conditions probably mask some of that too though.post #429 of 93710/19/11 at 10:21pmThread Starter
I'm still listening to them right now and ignoring all the other headphones in the box. They are not the last word in resolution, a little bright, but definitely good sounding. They remind me of good 80s speakers.
I'll measure some crappy headphones before I get to some good ones. I've got a HP1000 driver in a PS1 shell - that one's nice.
Edited by purrin - 10/19/11 at 10:22pmpost #430 of 93710/19/11 at 10:52pmQuote:
Ever try them out of a Bottlehead Crack?post #431 of 93710/19/11 at 11:03pmpost #432 of 93710/19/11 at 11:09pmpost #433 of 93710/19/11 at 11:33pmpost #434 of 93710/20/11 at 2:09am
So....you are human after all.....post #435 of 93710/20/11 at 8:33amThread StarterQuote:
Yes, the ridges are the resonances at particular frequencies. Click on the links to the headphone waterfall plots in my profile to see a wide example of these.
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › New User... Recommendations? 25 seconds ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion,... 1 minute ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Appreciation thread 3 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 4 minutes ago
- › Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure... 4 minutes ago
- › New Soundmagic HP150? 5 minutes ago
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Fischer Audio Silver Bullets by AlfredKeppler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)