If they're K240's they are EP Sextetts. The only mods are that I replaced the stock perforated plastic grill with speaker cloth. Didn't seem to change much acoustically surprisingly but it's more comfy. I don't hear ringing either, and since Ty'll measurements them not settling down quickly in the impulse response I was thinking it might be the bass that was causing that, which you seem to be hearing. They're semi-open. Basically they are closed headphones with cracks that let the sound out. Purrin, you should check out the passive radiators inside. Just be careful when you remove the pads because the radiators are delicate and the speaker cloth doesn't keep fingers out. It's a nice bit of 70's engineering.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 10/2/15 at 10:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
The Introduction Well, lovely citizens of head-fi, I am finally ready to bring you the review of the new T50RP mod by ZMF Headphones, known as the ZMF Omni. It is a semi-open headphone that...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Noontec for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website link:...
Preamble: Hi guys, I'm a budding audio-appreciator since starting on this journey about a year and a half ago. I just have average ears that like to listen to slightly above average music and so...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Brainwavz S3 you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated...
Introduction First of all, I would like to thank Aune (@AuneAudio) for giving me the opportunity to review their unit. This is the link to the relevant head-fi thread:...
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 29post #421 of 93710/19/11 at 9:46pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #422 of 93710/19/11 at 9:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
AKG K240 Sextett? (@rdevils can you confirm?)
Very intimate female vocals - heh - which probably means non-linear FR. These need quite a bit of power. Extremes are rolled off. 3-4kHz peak - if any ringing not serious. Smooth sounding. I kind of like these. Bass doesn't appear to extend low like most closed cans, but it sounds more open in nature. Some treble emphasis. Are these ported or something? Bass doesn't sound aligned - like a ported speaker where the lower bass is a little slow in arriving. It's OK though. I like these! If don't want to take them off for measurements, then I must like them.
The six diffusers in the Sextett from which it derives its name is meant to equalize the pressure in front of the baffle and prevent the midbass hump (at least that's how I interpret it). I'm guessing it's through these same diffusers that would perhaps provide a bit of an "echo" in the bass?post #423 of 93710/19/11 at 9:49pmThread Starter
AKG K240 Sextett? (@rdevils can you confirm?)
These are not FR plots. The waterfall plots below only go down to 200Hz not 20Hz!
Closed headphones require bass compensation below ~2kHz which is not applied in these plots.
Ouch I got this one totally wrong! I didn't think the ringing was this severe at all. I didn't hear the ringing at 12kHz and 14khz either (probably because it's hard for us to distinguish specific tones at such higher frequencies - above 10khz.) Putting the headphones back on, I think I can hear the effect, but it's not an unpleasant one. the 4kHz ringing just doesn't seem that bad. This is an odd one.
Edited by purrin - 11/2/11 at 8:02pmpost #424 of 93710/19/11 at 9:51pmpost #425 of 93710/19/11 at 10:03pmThread StarterQuote:
Ahhh. Is that what it is? Passive radiators have a lot of group delay. Probably what I'm hearing. It's a nice bass-reflex box effect - not really noticeable unless I directly come from another open headphone.Quote:
AMUSING OBSERVATION: I have a hard time hearing ringing at 4-5kHz; or if I do hear it, it's inane. For example, while I do hear the typical Grado 5khz ringing, I am actually OK with it. It's the Grado 8-9kHz ringing that hurts me. Most people are sensitive in that area.
I hear zero grain - then again it's probably the Eddie Current Balancing Act (I've decided I'm going to be annoying and promote Craig's stuff at every opportunity because I like his stuff so much). I've got my most laid back tubes in it right now.
Edited by purrin - 10/19/11 at 10:05pmpost #426 of 93710/19/11 at 10:11pmpost #427 of 93710/19/11 at 10:13pmThread StarterQuote:post #428 of 93710/19/11 at 10:19pmQuote:
Yeah whenever I take my Sextetts to meets and plug them into beastly amps like yours I don't hear the grain. Meet conditions probably mask some of that too though.post #429 of 93710/19/11 at 10:21pmThread Starter
I'm still listening to them right now and ignoring all the other headphones in the box. They are not the last word in resolution, a little bright, but definitely good sounding. They remind me of good 80s speakers.
I'll measure some crappy headphones before I get to some good ones. I've got a HP1000 driver in a PS1 shell - that one's nice.
Edited by purrin - 10/19/11 at 10:22pmpost #430 of 93710/19/11 at 10:52pmQuote:
Ever try them out of a Bottlehead Crack?post #431 of 93710/19/11 at 11:03pmpost #432 of 93710/19/11 at 11:09pmpost #433 of 93710/19/11 at 11:33pmpost #434 of 93710/20/11 at 2:09ampost #435 of 93710/20/11 at 8:33amThread StarterQuote:
Yes, the ridges are the resonances at particular frequencies. Click on the links to the headphone waterfall plots in my profile to see a wide example of these.
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Pro vs Sony MDR-7506 vs Audiotechnica M40x (or... 55 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 1 minute ago
- › Supreme Sound (Burson) Audio Lycan Headamp 1 minute ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 1 minute ago
- › Questyle QP1 2 minutes ago
- › Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13,... 2 minutes ago
- › She is Called M1(Esther) ---SOUNDAWARE New Portable Player Thread... 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman Edition X 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by PacoTaco
- › Noontec Wireless Headphones ZORO II Wireless Hi-Fi Bluetooth On-Ear... by twister6
- › RHA T20 by RedTwilight
- › Brainwavz S3 by thatBeatsguy
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier by GioF71
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by suman134
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by nmatheis
- › Philips SHE3905BK/27 In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Black by Whitigir
- › Music Hall de-be Portable Headphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2