If they're K240's they are EP Sextetts. The only mods are that I replaced the stock perforated plastic grill with speaker cloth. Didn't seem to change much acoustically surprisingly but it's more comfy. I don't hear ringing either, and since Ty'll measurements them not settling down quickly in the impulse response I was thinking it might be the bass that was causing that, which you seem to be hearing. They're semi-open. Basically they are closed headphones with cracks that let the sound out. Purrin, you should check out the passive radiators inside. Just be careful when you remove the pads because the radiators are delicate and the speaker cloth doesn't keep fingers out. It's a nice bit of 70's engineering.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on Yesterday at 4:10 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
I would like to start by saying thank you to Penon Audio for letting me check out the SHOZY Lancea. The Lacea was sent to me in exchange for my honest opinion of it. The SHOZY Lancea is available...
Fidelio X2 is a really nice headphone at this price point. I paid only 190 USD for a new pair and cannot be more happy with the purchase. X2 sounds very open and has an airy soundstage. Still the...
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 29post #421 of 93710/19/11 at 9:46pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #422 of 93710/19/11 at 9:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
AKG K240 Sextett? (@rdevils can you confirm?)
Very intimate female vocals - heh - which probably means non-linear FR. These need quite a bit of power. Extremes are rolled off. 3-4kHz peak - if any ringing not serious. Smooth sounding. I kind of like these. Bass doesn't appear to extend low like most closed cans, but it sounds more open in nature. Some treble emphasis. Are these ported or something? Bass doesn't sound aligned - like a ported speaker where the lower bass is a little slow in arriving. It's OK though. I like these! If don't want to take them off for measurements, then I must like them.
The six diffusers in the Sextett from which it derives its name is meant to equalize the pressure in front of the baffle and prevent the midbass hump (at least that's how I interpret it). I'm guessing it's through these same diffusers that would perhaps provide a bit of an "echo" in the bass?post #423 of 93710/19/11 at 9:49pmThread Starter
AKG K240 Sextett? (@rdevils can you confirm?)
These are not FR plots. The waterfall plots below only go down to 200Hz not 20Hz!
Closed headphones require bass compensation below ~2kHz which is not applied in these plots.
Ouch I got this one totally wrong! I didn't think the ringing was this severe at all. I didn't hear the ringing at 12kHz and 14khz either (probably because it's hard for us to distinguish specific tones at such higher frequencies - above 10khz.) Putting the headphones back on, I think I can hear the effect, but it's not an unpleasant one. the 4kHz ringing just doesn't seem that bad. This is an odd one.
Edited by purrin - 11/2/11 at 8:02pmpost #424 of 93710/19/11 at 9:51pmpost #425 of 93710/19/11 at 10:03pmThread StarterQuote:
Ahhh. Is that what it is? Passive radiators have a lot of group delay. Probably what I'm hearing. It's a nice bass-reflex box effect - not really noticeable unless I directly come from another open headphone.Quote:
AMUSING OBSERVATION: I have a hard time hearing ringing at 4-5kHz; or if I do hear it, it's inane. For example, while I do hear the typical Grado 5khz ringing, I am actually OK with it. It's the Grado 8-9kHz ringing that hurts me. Most people are sensitive in that area.
I hear zero grain - then again it's probably the Eddie Current Balancing Act (I've decided I'm going to be annoying and promote Craig's stuff at every opportunity because I like his stuff so much). I've got my most laid back tubes in it right now.
Edited by purrin - 10/19/11 at 10:05pmpost #426 of 93710/19/11 at 10:11pmpost #427 of 93710/19/11 at 10:13pmThread StarterQuote:post #428 of 93710/19/11 at 10:19pmQuote:
Yeah whenever I take my Sextetts to meets and plug them into beastly amps like yours I don't hear the grain. Meet conditions probably mask some of that too though.post #429 of 93710/19/11 at 10:21pmThread Starter
I'm still listening to them right now and ignoring all the other headphones in the box. They are not the last word in resolution, a little bright, but definitely good sounding. They remind me of good 80s speakers.
I'll measure some crappy headphones before I get to some good ones. I've got a HP1000 driver in a PS1 shell - that one's nice.
Edited by purrin - 10/19/11 at 10:22pmpost #430 of 93710/19/11 at 10:52pmQuote:
Ever try them out of a Bottlehead Crack?post #431 of 93710/19/11 at 11:03pmpost #432 of 93710/19/11 at 11:09pmpost #433 of 93710/19/11 at 11:33pmpost #434 of 93710/20/11 at 2:09ampost #435 of 93710/20/11 at 8:33amThread StarterQuote:
Yes, the ridges are the resonances at particular frequencies. Click on the links to the headphone waterfall plots in my profile to see a wide example of these.
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Post CanJam cynicism. 2 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for a good $150 IEM that emphasis on clarity. 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Impressions Thread! August 29-30, 2015! 9 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 10 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 11 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 11 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 12 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 13 minutes ago
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2