Thank you OP for your impressions. I am currently seeing if I want to go down the HD650 or LCD2 path, so this was very helpful.
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012! Last post on 12/23/13 at 7:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2's as noisy as Open Ear Cans? Last post on 10/1/11 at 7:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Next best heaphones to HD 800 using a NuForce icon HDP Last post on 9/26/11 at 9:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- SHORT REVIEWS: Ok, now I have LCD-2, D7000... what next? Last post on 7/25/12 at 5:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ortho and Sound stage? Last post on 7/7/11 at 10:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
This weekend I compared Lcd2 and HD650 - Page 3post #31 of 428/8/11 at 7:07pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 428/9/11 at 5:26amThread Starterpost #33 of 428/15/11 at 5:01pmpost #34 of 4211/28/11 at 11:06pm
Let's also remember that both the HD650 and LCD2 have two different versions so we are speaking about 4 slightly different sounding headphones to start with here.
Newer HD650 have no veil compared to the older version (pre 2007)
Similarly, LCD2 rev2 sounds more "clear" than the older rev1.
People who have directly compared each revision are unanymous and say that although the sound signature is similar, there is enough difference in the sound to easily identify which version is which. This is no minor difference here...
So it would be nice to precise what version we are commenting on, comparing...
tough hobbypost #35 of 421/2/12 at 10:19amThread StarterQuote:
Tympan, you have a good point.
My HD 650 is the later version with the silver drivers. The LCD-2 that I received were brand new and thus should have been the last version before the LCD-3 were released.post #36 of 422/13/13 at 2:11ampost #37 of 422/14/13 at 3:02amThread Starter
Maybe you are also interested in my follow-up article. Nearly a year after I compared both headphones, I bought an LCD-2 to find out, how it worked with different amps.
The baseline result is the same though. After one month, I sold the LCD-2 again.post #38 of 427/9/13 at 12:40am
Thanks a lot for the article. I'm personally very happy with the HD650s... but you can't help but want to go to the next thing sometimes.
I may still try and pick up LCD-2s in the future... but not at the expense of selling off my HD 650s and headphone amp.post #39 of 427/10/13 at 1:59amThread StarterQuote:
Yes, don't sell the HD 650. You won't get a lot of money and they are really one of the most versatile hp that I ever listened to.
If you want to toy around, cables, amps, sources and recordings are good too.
Last week for example, I auditioned a Leben CS 300 and -600 with headphones (they both hum) and high end speakers (thats what the dealer said). And the sound that we get from headphones is so much better compared to speakers, it is amazing, even with the same amp.
The only way to upgrade for me is currently the Orpheus. I listened to one at the high end fair in Munich and the sound was jaw dropping. I immediately tried a HD 800 and a Stax Lambda and Omega for comparison. The Orpheus combines the comfort of the HD 650 with a sound that makes you forget the headphones on your head. It felt as if I wore empty frames and the music happened somewhere outside. I won't forget that experience for a while.
Edited by mironathetin - 7/11/13 at 2:03ampost #40 of 4211/14/13 at 8:01pmpost #41 of 4211/15/13 at 6:27am
Very nice review, from a music-lover, I guess, for whom the music is much more important than the gear. Very nice. This is how it should be. Sennheiser HD 650 is a very nice, wonderful headphone, which is able to communicate music. I have a stax sr-x 3, which is even better. I did A-B comparison, when I bought the stax, between the Stax and the 650 to decide which one is better. Although the Stax is just in a different class compared to HD 650, after a few minutes hearing the 650, I did forget the differences, my brain adjusted and compensated the differences, and I enjoyed music as much with it as with the Stax. Currently, the HD 650 is my office rig, and I enjoy so much hearing nice music while I am working. Stax is at home( it also, should be as it requires such a backing in terms of gears).
- This weekend I compared Lcd2 and HD650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Sony XB500 Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok. 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 100.00 budget 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 7 minutes ago
- › Parasound or Emotiva w/ KEF LS50 8 minutes ago
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)