Thank you OP for your impressions. I am currently seeing if I want to go down the HD650 or LCD2 path, so this was very helpful.
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012! Last post on 12/23/13 at 7:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2's as noisy as Open Ear Cans? Last post on 10/1/11 at 7:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Next best heaphones to HD 800 using a NuForce icon HDP Last post on 9/26/11 at 9:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- SHORT REVIEWS: Ok, now I have LCD-2, D7000... what next? Last post on 7/25/12 at 5:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ortho and Sound stage? Last post on 7/7/11 at 10:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The main selling point of this DAP is its size. Operation is straightforward, and small screen is better than none. Sound signature is likeable, detailed enough and musical enough. It uses RKnanoC...
I realize this is ancient news in 2014 but I recently rediscovered my iAudio7 and am loving it. It sounds remarkably good for a "fun"-signatured DAP and holy mackerel, the battery life is...
So I want to start off by stating that is this is my first real review of any headphone on this website. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of you imagination! I will try to best explain what my...
As an amateur hi-fi enthusiast I'm certainly no head-fi expert, but that won't stop me from saying that the Shure SRH840 professional monitoring headphones are a sweet sounding set of cans. I...
If you’re in the market for audiophile-grade headphones, you’ve probably heard of Germany’s professional audio electronics manufacturer Beyerdynamic. In the business of handcrafting premium...
This weekend I compared Lcd2 and HD650 - Page 3post #31 of 428/8/11 at 7:07pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 428/9/11 at 5:26amThread Starterpost #33 of 428/15/11 at 5:01pmpost #34 of 4211/28/11 at 11:06pm
Let's also remember that both the HD650 and LCD2 have two different versions so we are speaking about 4 slightly different sounding headphones to start with here.
Newer HD650 have no veil compared to the older version (pre 2007)
Similarly, LCD2 rev2 sounds more "clear" than the older rev1.
People who have directly compared each revision are unanymous and say that although the sound signature is similar, there is enough difference in the sound to easily identify which version is which. This is no minor difference here...
So it would be nice to precise what version we are commenting on, comparing...
tough hobbypost #35 of 421/2/12 at 10:19amThread StarterQuote:
Tympan, you have a good point.
My HD 650 is the later version with the silver drivers. The LCD-2 that I received were brand new and thus should have been the last version before the LCD-3 were released.post #36 of 422/13/13 at 2:11ampost #37 of 422/14/13 at 3:02amThread Starter
Maybe you are also interested in my follow-up article. Nearly a year after I compared both headphones, I bought an LCD-2 to find out, how it worked with different amps.
The baseline result is the same though. After one month, I sold the LCD-2 again.post #38 of 427/9/13 at 12:40am
Thanks a lot for the article. I'm personally very happy with the HD650s... but you can't help but want to go to the next thing sometimes.
I may still try and pick up LCD-2s in the future... but not at the expense of selling off my HD 650s and headphone amp.post #39 of 427/10/13 at 1:59amThread StarterQuote:
Yes, don't sell the HD 650. You won't get a lot of money and they are really one of the most versatile hp that I ever listened to.
If you want to toy around, cables, amps, sources and recordings are good too.
Last week for example, I auditioned a Leben CS 300 and -600 with headphones (they both hum) and high end speakers (thats what the dealer said). And the sound that we get from headphones is so much better compared to speakers, it is amazing, even with the same amp.
The only way to upgrade for me is currently the Orpheus. I listened to one at the high end fair in Munich and the sound was jaw dropping. I immediately tried a HD 800 and a Stax Lambda and Omega for comparison. The Orpheus combines the comfort of the HD 650 with a sound that makes you forget the headphones on your head. It felt as if I wore empty frames and the music happened somewhere outside. I won't forget that experience for a while.
Edited by mironathetin - 7/11/13 at 2:03ampost #40 of 4211/14/13 at 8:01pmpost #41 of 4211/15/13 at 6:27am
Very nice review, from a music-lover, I guess, for whom the music is much more important than the gear. Very nice. This is how it should be. Sennheiser HD 650 is a very nice, wonderful headphone, which is able to communicate music. I have a stax sr-x 3, which is even better. I did A-B comparison, when I bought the stax, between the Stax and the 650 to decide which one is better. Although the Stax is just in a different class compared to HD 650, after a few minutes hearing the 650, I did forget the differences, my brain adjusted and compensated the differences, and I enjoyed music as much with it as with the Stax. Currently, the HD 650 is my office rig, and I enjoy so much hearing nice music while I am working. Stax is at home( it also, should be as it requires such a backing in terms of gears).
- This weekend I compared Lcd2 and HD650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 11 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 1 minute ago
- › Some HOT Science From Synergistic Research 4 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 7 minutes ago
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 8 minutes ago
- › Post pics of your builds.... 9 minutes ago
- › Euphonic headphones under $200 9 minutes ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 12 minutes ago
- › Is there threshhold that amplifier must be used regard of impedance? 13 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › Beyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by shockdoc
- › CAD MH310 ( Superlux HD662 ) by p13rrot
- › Caution Warnings When Purchasing Used...
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3