Finally back after a few days of vacation, and still no triodes on my doorstep, though I apparently have a package waiting for me at my local post office; could either be my second 8532W tube, or my last -major- order, that I placed last week just leaving for the airport.
Speaking of ordering tubes, and seeing how I'm still missing out on all the triodes and even heptodes fun, here is what I have on ice, ordered from an obscure UK tube company, and that should get to me within this week.
- Mullard 6BE6W (were originally Syvlanias, but turned out to be Mullard when the seller checked the stock, I'm not sure whether that's good news or bad news, I'd say good, since Acapella seems to have already found better 6BE6 tubes than the Sylvanias, making buying them a bit pointless)
- Brimar CV4012 (UK mil spec 6BE6 type, kind of curious as to what these even look like)
- Pinnacle EBC91 (European 6AV6 type, were supposed to be Telefunken and cheap-ish, but turned out not to be when the seller checked them, but could be sourced from any European brand from Mullard to Telefunken, or silly Russian tubes; Pinnacle seems to have a decent reputation depending on the rebranded tubes, so it's a bit of a gamble. Considering the same labeling/branding happened with the 6BE6W when the tubes were checked from the seller's stock (I've seen Sylvania tubes which were Mullard imports, so they might be Mullard made but Sylvania branded, hence the information in the stock list) I'm hoping the same holds true for these; there must be a reason why they had been entered in as Telefunken by the seller in the first place?)
- Telefunken EH900S (6BY6 type, similar to the 6BE6 and made by Telefunken, supposedly high grade tubes, can't be horrible can it...? Could have gold pins or not, both versions seem to have existed)
- Mullard CV4070 (UK mil spec EC91 type -that I think I may have mentioned here before unofficially- possibly dual labeled M8099, ground-grid triode like the 6J4 with even more interesting characteristics, the mil spec versions of the EC91/6AQ4 seem to be hard to come by, hence my not having made these official yet)
- Mullard CV5311 (UK mil spec 6J4 type, possibly dual labeled M8248, not from the same -unique ebay- seller as gibosi though, hopefully very nice tubes)
So I can -finally- get back on the tube rolling band wagon and start giving impressions again; this, despite my still being absolutely mesmerized by the Tung-Sol 6485... These are a very, very, clear-cut grade above all my other tubes, and that's saying a lot.
About those socket adapters, did the Chinese ebay seller ever mention sizes? Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I could even fit an adapter on MK IV SE sockets without "modifying" the golden tube protectors that make it look so pretty in the first place, which I probably wouldn't do...