- 2,340 Posts. Joined 7/2010
- Location: Riverside,NJ
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm a total whack job. Are you? Last post on 8/29/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Feelin' guilty, enjoying K-401's more than K-701's Last post on 6/4/11 at 12:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K501 Help Last post on 5/31/11 at 5:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone + Amp Synergy thread. Last post on 3/30/11 at 6:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Adding bass ot the K500's? Last post on 3/7/11 at 9:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Alright, so I am not an audiophile by any means, my entire experience of headphelia is just using cheap IEMs but after trying some expensive beats, I knew I needed something more. And if your like...
This is a review of Audeze EL-8C closed back planar magnetic full size headphones: https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back, with a bonus review of Audeze Deckard desktop...
Preface: Nothing too technical here; just wanted to give my impression as someone that had to "downgrade" from the HE-400's recently and has tried dozens of full-sized cans. I have had these things...
This is my second actual IEM purchase, and I have to say, I'm very surprised. These have a more enjoyable and pleasurable listening experience compared to the Shure SE425, which sounded dry and...
AKG K500 love? - Page 2post #16 of 4712/30/11 at 3:28pmdoes it have foam disc in front? i found each model has a different density foam disc that covers the outer layers of the driver. pulling the foam out on my k601 seem to give it bit more clarity and make the top-end less relaxed tame bass down bit though but still find the bass extension perfect without any type of accentuation.i think might have do how the driver is design and how the outer layers react to the type of filtering from the foam.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 4712/31/11 at 10:48ampost #18 of 4712/31/11 at 3:21pmpost #19 of 4712/31/11 at 5:57pmpost #20 of 4712/31/11 at 6:12pmsince it's on the dome,i am making a rough guess it limits with the bass department maybe? i can't say since i never used a k500. atleast it doesn't cover the whole outer driver and parts of the white acoustic filters like my k601. i'm gonna try to cut a bigger hole later in the foam so the full driver is exposed and not just the dome and see how that affects it. i know removing it completely tames the bass down a bit and adds more clarity due to increase of the top-end becomes more pronounced. sound brighter but doesn't bother my ears really since i listen always at moderate to low levels.post #21 of 473/22/12 at 1:54pmpost #22 of 475/1/12 at 4:52am
I needed new pads for my K500 and it seems there's only one type available for the K400, K401, K500 and K501 series. They're black and the part number is 2458M0404. The old pads were grey, the new ones are shiny black. I know there've been discussions about the merits of each model's respective pads, but if only one type is supplied by AKG... Chime in if you have any experience to share.
The new black pads definitely change the sound. The old ones were soft and probably absorbed/let out some of the sound. The sound tightened up with the new pads, cleaner and more controlled. I like it. With the mod I did (taping over half of the paper covered vents) I prefer the K500 over the other three mentioned above. In fact it's the headphone I've been using the most, lately (with the HP50 close behind).
Comparison of pads.
Note that the new pads have a denser screen, but - more important - a foam gasket at the rim acting as bass seal.
Tape mod which made the sound less diffused and more balanced through-out the spectrum (smoothed out the presence peak).
Edited by MDR30 - 11/25/13 at 3:41ampost #23 of 475/1/12 at 9:17am
I often switch my K500/K400 pads and in general I prefer the K400 pads on both headphones. They look very similar to the black pads you have. Can I ask where you ordered the replacement pads from? I have called AKG before and they said that parts for the K500 were no longer in stock but I could order K70X pads, but I would prefer to keep the old style. It's hard for me to decide which between the K500 and K400, both have their own merits and draw backs but both a still very underrated and not as well known as they should be.
Could you elaborate on why you prefer the K500 over the K501?
cheerspost #24 of 475/1/12 at 1:51pmQuote:
That's a question that begs for a simple answer, and I cannot supply one. After my tape mod they are similar, but I feel the K500 is more "together" and alive. The "space" factor is a bit more realistic. I simply prefer it.
I listen a lot to 1950s and 1960s recordings, like Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett (Songs for the Jet Set right now), Burt Bacharach etc, often recorded live in a studio, and the sense of presence is marginally better with the K500. It shines with classical music as well.
By reputation I expected the K501 to be the superior headphone, but that was not the case. One has of course to consider the three different baffles of the K501, discussed here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/227052/official-akg-k501-version-count/45
My taped K500 has a baffle quite similar to the version 1 of the K501, which is the one I own:
There are a lot of factors involved concerning the difference in sound, the driver being the most obvious one, which must be taken into account.
I won't let the other three go - I might change my mind about them, which has happened before. All are interesting and good sounding.
Edited by MDR30 - 8/23/14 at 1:59ampost #25 of 475/11/12 at 11:59amQuote:
I bought them locally but they're available from Thomann:
Still sounds seductive after several weeks of continual listening. Dynamic with a very convincing soundstage and natural reproduction of acoustical instruments. You can almost touch them.post #26 of 471/31/13 at 3:18pmQuote:
I second that. Wonderful stage, transparent and neutral sound. I must say that I use these for all kinds of music, not just Jazz and acoustic instruments; I listened to hours and hours of electronica and studio productions of all kinds - these headphones simply depict what's there, that's my impression.post #27 of 477/15/13 at 10:34pmpost #28 of 477/15/13 at 11:53pmpost #29 of 477/16/13 at 1:42am
Thank you. I'd like to try this headphone. Maybe a head-fier is interested in selling one
- AKG K500 love?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 15 seconds ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware 42 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 2 minutes ago
- › Need help choosing headphones 4 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 and impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › A step up from a smartphone... what to get? 4 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 5 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 5 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-MM400 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by nmatheis
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by Sentinei
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3