Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 3/7/13
Related Forum Threads
- V Moda M100s worth the upgrade from Audio Technica ATH-M50s? Last post on 4/14/14 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Razer copying the looks of ATH-M50? Last post on 4/11/14 at 9:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure SRH-440 w/HPAEC840 pads vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 4/12/14 at 8:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Suggestions for Headphones + Amp for Portable + Home use. Last post on 3/6/14 at 8:21pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 4/6/14 at 7:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
ATH M50 Mod Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
A detachable mod would be nice. I am thinking of doing this when my V6 cable wears out.
Now the remote cable addition would be cool too if you were to recable it. It looks/feels pretty wimpy. I had one of those but ended up never using it cause it wasn't fully compatible with my old 3g. I need to upgrade my iphone anyway.
The pic was just to illustrate but yea im planing to recable. The problem is make a remote that will look good (and work). Maybe salvage the PCB re-solder buttons when im on the go and use the proper cable when home. (Original M50 jack doesnt fit with the Apple bumper anyways).
Should i recable the inside of the pair as-well with quality cable?
Planning on painting the logo in blue (or dark red) to make it stand out.
Yea not like that:
Edited by TestSubject - 7/5/11 at 11:11am
Opened my M50's and removed the damping material, i noticed that the bass sound deeper. Didnt notice anything else in the mids or treble.
is it a first impression of a more opened can? What is the purpose of this damping foam? Outside insolation?
I love modding stuff" and I also love my M 50's, but I have to say that personally, the best mod to these awesome cans is a good amp. I like the idea of iPod/pad control, so I'm in on that! But just wanted to let those who don't yet use an amp and have these cans know that a whole new world exists when the M50's have a bit more power pushing them.
I am using a Cmoy amp to power my M50's when im on the go and im am building a SSHM tube amp for a desktop use.
Im am trying to find a low profile female conector for the detachable mod. It is not easy because you dont really have a feel for the size when shopping online so i will be going to my local electronic shop to find the best suitable jack to have the least impact on the inside plastic of the cup.
I will be putting a male jack at the end of the cut stock cable when i use my M50's at home. Im sure the Monster remplacement cable with the Apple compatible remote im my best bet when on the go.
I've tried replacing the dampening material with cotton which brought out the mids but killed the bass. What I've done now is stock felt dampening material with cotton all around the cup to stop sound reaching and bouncing off the plastic.
I need new headphone pads for my M50s, I'm going to try to make my own headphone pads out of lambskin, wish me luck.
if possible, post pics of the process and finished result and comments in this thread please
thread for custom pads
It was done for me. I can take completed pictures when I get home.
I was tired of having to use my cheap iPhone headphones every time I needed to be able to talk hands-free. Using my ATH-M50 I could still talk on the phone before, but I had to listen through the headphones while talking through the phone microphone.
As for why the MPA-3C, I already had one and I didn't pay full price for it, but it works.
Hello Test Subject,
I own a pair of M50's and I am content with SQ but comfort for me is a definite negative at this point in time. Can you please tell me how the dt-250 pads feel. As they are really uncomfortable I find them really fatiguing =.
- ATH M50 Mod Thread
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 25 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 26 seconds ago
- › Wondering if the NVX XPT100 would be good for me 38 seconds ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 1 minute ago
- › JRiver Media Center 19 is better! 2 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 2 minutes ago
- › Which option is the SAFEST to receive payment ? (scared to get... 2 minutes ago
- › Pioneer new DJ In-Ear Headphones DJE-2000 and DJE-1500 2 minutes ago
- › Buying my first pair of headphones: V-Moda M80s, SRH440, CAL 2,... 2 minutes ago
- › MOG Replacements? 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob