Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Nerdiest Audiophile Moments
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nerdiest Audiophile Moments - Page 4

post #46 of 66

Compared expensive headphones purchases to expensive TV purchases other people make

 

You spend $1000 on a brand new 60 inch LED didn't you, so why you looking at me like I am nuts for spending $250 for a set of Luke Skybeyers lol.  ( happened recently to me haha )

People spend big $ on a tv with higher resolution, a bigger screen and is efficient in power saving...same thing applies to my audio gear.   People near me can justify $1000 on a new LED tv and be fine with dollar store earbuds, but I am the insane one for enjoying my $250 refurbished LG LCD 32 inch from best buy and paying a few hundred for headphones comparable to a 100 inch LED from sony :P

post #47 of 66

I was explaining what dynamat was to a friend, assuming he knew about damping already.

post #48 of 66

When I watched the latest Tomb Raider game trailer, and all that hit me (and annoyingly so) is that Lara Croft was using Beats Tour by Dre.

 

 

 

post #49 of 66

Oh I watched X2: X-Men United yesterday, and realized something thats pretty flawed. When Magneto is in his plastic holding room, there is music playing. Isn't it impossible to make speakers without metal?

post #50 of 66

Pointing out headphones and other hifi seen in films and TV. The Martin Logan electrostatics in Chandler's flat in Friends look superb!

 

Telling people about my latest purchase, even though they are glazing over.

 

Spotting a hifi shop in a new town and having to go it and then treating it like an art gallery.

 

 

post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post

Pointing out headphones and other hifi seen in films and TV. The Martin Logan electrostatics in Chandler's flat in Friends look superb!

 

Telling people about my latest purchase, even though they are glazing over.

 

Spotting a hifi shop in a new town and having to go it and then treating it like an art gallery.

 

 

Is there an episode that they appear in or is it all the time?
 

 

post #52 of 66

There is more than one episode and at times there is other stuff as well. I think you really see them when Chandler and Joey watch films on their matching chairs.

post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingatheart View Post

Oh I watched X2: X-Men United yesterday, and realized something thats pretty flawed. When Magneto is in his plastic holding room, there is music playing. Isn't it impossible to make speakers without metal?


Copper isn't very magnetic, so I think X-Men writers are ok.

 

post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 View Post

Just a small note: audiophile means sound (audio), lover (philos). Being an audiophile has nothing to do with owning a 4000$ amp, a pair of HD800s and some 500$ cables for interconnects. Being an audiophile isn't having expensive gear or experience, and having expensive gear and experience isn't being an audiophile. It's about loving what you do, trying various settings of EQs, reading reviews, and most of all, enoying this. It's sound-lover, it can't be more direct than that. So while we can use expressions like "audiophile grade" for snakeoil cables (looking at you, Cynosure), I think any DIY mini-to-mini has more of audiophile than those to me. Honestly Quote, at that momment I would have called you an audiophile.

 

I don't think the literal interpretation of "audiophile" really holds true for a lot of people on here, though.  Some people think a modded, $75 ortho with a bunch of EQ equates to "audiophile headphones"; other people believe one needs $10,000 in cables to be considered an audiophile.  The way I look at it, an audiophile listens to his gear; a music lover listens to the music.  Doesn't mean a music lover doesn't enjoy good gear, but an audiophile would rather listen to a 24/196 Diana Krall album, even if they didn't like her, just to hear the "perfection" of their gear.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilzc View Post

When I watched the latest Tomb Raider game trailer, and all that hit me (and annoyingly so) is that Lara Croft was using Beats Tour by Dre.

 

 

 


What's always amazed me is that Dynamat is absolute junk, and in the car audio world viewed exactly like Bose is on here - overrated, overpriced, and not very useful.  There's a plethora of much better, less expensive sound damping materials than Dynamat; Second Skin, B-Quiet, RAMmat, Brown Bread...all sorts of stuff.  And a lot of it is available in liquid form, which seems like a much more practical and efficient way to dampen cans than flat sheets.

 

post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicLemming View Post

 

What's always amazed me is that Dynamat is absolute junk, and in the car audio world viewed exactly like Bose is on here - overrated, overpriced, and not very useful.  There's a plethora of much better, less expensive sound damping materials than Dynamat; Second Skin, B-Quiet, RAMmat, Brown Bread...all sorts of stuff.  And a lot of it is available in liquid form, which seems like a much more practical and efficient way to dampen cans than flat sheets.

 


People here simply call all damping materials dynamat. Not everyone goes out to buy it thinking it's the only available product.

 

post #56 of 66

i usually keep this to myself but whenever i see a headphone on tv or in a movie i try to see what the person is wearing.  even if its a girl and she is really pretty sometimes her headphones catch my eye before anything else frown.gif

post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post




People here simply call all damping materials dynamat. Not everyone goes out to buy it thinking it's the only available product.

 



yeah, I use blu tack, but mostly because its the only self adhesive damping material I have. the liquid ones sounds interesting tho.

 

 

btw, does using silly putty as dampering material counts as a nerdiest moment? I ran out of blu tack and it feels/act similar so ...


Edited by JamesMcProgger - 6/5/11 at 3:06pm
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglover View Post

people think I'm crazy having multiple headphones. They can understand someone who loves music to buy an expensive headphone, but not to have many of them



comes to my mind a friend of mine who asked me "why so much headphones, whats the difference?" when she and her brother have like 8 guitars...

post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadCrumb View Post

i usually keep this to myself but whenever i see a headphone on tv or in a movie i try to see what the person is wearing.  even if its a girl and she is really pretty sometimes her headphones catch my eye before anything else frown.gif



Same here.

Even outside, in the real life.

post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man View Post

There is more than one episode and at times there is other stuff as well. I think you really see them when Chandler and Joey watch films on their matching chairs.

Thanks! Next time I see Friends on, I'll keep a watchful eye.
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Nerdiest Audiophile Moments