Enclosed is a picture I took of the back of the ear-pad on the HE-5. Is this what you are all talking about? If so although hard to do it was not impossible to re-install by slightly bending the pad so it clicks into place.
Related Forum Threads
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-300, HE-4, or HD650 Last post on 9/25/11 at 3:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-500 vs HE-4 | Comparison & Review Last post on 6/23/14 at 1:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- So I kinda modded my HE-500... Last post on 6/5/11 at 1:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
REVIEW - Fiio EM3 Fiio is not a company that needs any introduction. Known for its wide and affordable large Amp and DAC line, and well regarded since the release of the first DAP...
Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads! - Page 2post #16 of 475/16/11 at 7:31pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 475/16/11 at 7:34pmThread Starter
Yup, that's it. I cracked that plastic disc that the tabs are on.
It's quite easy to get two of the tabs in place, but then you have to seriously push it (aka pretty much bend plastic) the opposite direction to get the other two into place. It's incredibly difficult and very unnerving. I think I got lucky on my second pair...post #18 of 475/16/11 at 7:49pm
When I pulled mine off, I looked at it and spend a good 10 minutes pondering, "Balls, how does this thing go back on? Like....no...what about....no....or....no, not that way either. How...ok, vodka time."post #19 of 475/16/11 at 7:50pmHmm now that I think about it, those pads dont seem to seal very well, which anyone who has modded orthos can tell you is really important. They also use velour pads which dont seal either but I wonder what a ring of tak around the inside edge of those pads would do to the sound. Anyone want to try?post #20 of 475/16/11 at 8:07pmThread StarterQuote:
A picture would be awesome as well!post #21 of 475/17/11 at 12:16ampost #22 of 475/17/11 at 12:20am
HAHAHA I had no issues taking them off...But I had the hardest time getting the last tab in...that's when I cracked my plastic disc. Luckily they still got back on but they aren't as secure as they were before...
I also thought HiFiMan would have had a better pad design. For the sound quality my HE-6 has, this is a trivial thing though. I would like to know how to purchase new pads as they aren't on the head-direct site...post #23 of 475/17/11 at 12:22amI think my plastic disc is cracked on the replacement pad, but the 'teeth' are still there. The original pad had a cracked disc and a missing 'tooth'.
Ugh. It's almost impossible not to put it back on without possibly cracking the plastic. Stupidity from Hifiman to use such a dumb design.post #24 of 475/17/11 at 12:31ampost #25 of 475/17/11 at 12:32amIt's that supid plastic that can 'cut' you if you're not careful. For such expensive headphones, they certainly skimped in that area.post #26 of 475/17/11 at 1:43am
Haha, I faced the exact same issue when I 1st got my He-4.
Didnt dare to post at first, as I was asking myself am I too dumb to not even be able to get the pads on. Sounds like I'm not alone. I ended up sending the whole headphone back for them to fix as I was paranoid with the issue.post #27 of 475/17/11 at 4:10ampost #28 of 475/17/11 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #29 of 475/17/11 at 8:18am
Yes, keep us posted on the HE-500 replacement pads please.
The plastic discs used for securing the stock pads look like something you could make yourself if you could find the right material. Then after than you can probably cut and make a custom fit for any pad around the same size as stock pad (prob a 50mm pad). Anybody have any ideas where to find some thin, stiff plastic sheets to make a set? I would love to hear these with some my comfy leather SA5000k, or some thin leather W5000 pads! Those stock velour pads are deceiving because they look soft, but whatever is inside is pretty stiff and uncomfortable and I also worry sometimes that there might not be a good seal (especially considering the way the plastic ring insert sits - maybe try blutak like RD suggested). Supposedly the HE-500 pads use a softer inner padding, and I bet that it make the HE series headphones sound slightly warmer if the softer pads compress more and bring your ears closer to the driver...
Edited by Philimon - 5/17/11 at 8:20ampost #30 of 475/17/11 at 4:40pmThread Starter
Just got an email back from Head-Direct customer service.
Basically they said they would send an urgent message to the shipping manager in China asking if they sell extra earpads for the HE-500.
- Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 57 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run! 2 minutes ago
- › I did my own listening test...four formats...did I hear a difference? 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 4 minutes ago
- › Do you have info on ... SMSL M3 DAC/Headp AMP CS4398 7 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! Fender FXA5 first look by RedJohn456. PG 2123. 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...