Enclosed is a picture I took of the back of the ear-pad on the HE-5. Is this what you are all talking about? If so although hard to do it was not impossible to re-install by slightly bending the pad so it clicks into place.
Related Forum Threads
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-300, HE-4, or HD650 Last post on 9/25/11 at 3:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-500 vs HE-4 | Comparison & Review Last post on 6/23/14 at 1:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- So I kinda modded my HE-500... Last post on 6/5/11 at 1:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads! - Page 2post #16 of 475/16/11 at 7:31pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 475/16/11 at 7:34pmThread Starter
Yup, that's it. I cracked that plastic disc that the tabs are on.
It's quite easy to get two of the tabs in place, but then you have to seriously push it (aka pretty much bend plastic) the opposite direction to get the other two into place. It's incredibly difficult and very unnerving. I think I got lucky on my second pair...post #18 of 475/16/11 at 7:49pm
When I pulled mine off, I looked at it and spend a good 10 minutes pondering, "Balls, how does this thing go back on? Like....no...what about....no....or....no, not that way either. How...ok, vodka time."post #19 of 475/16/11 at 7:50pmHmm now that I think about it, those pads dont seem to seal very well, which anyone who has modded orthos can tell you is really important. They also use velour pads which dont seal either but I wonder what a ring of tak around the inside edge of those pads would do to the sound. Anyone want to try?post #20 of 475/16/11 at 8:07pmThread StarterQuote:
A picture would be awesome as well!post #21 of 475/17/11 at 12:16ampost #22 of 475/17/11 at 12:20am
HAHAHA I had no issues taking them off...But I had the hardest time getting the last tab in...that's when I cracked my plastic disc. Luckily they still got back on but they aren't as secure as they were before...
I also thought HiFiMan would have had a better pad design. For the sound quality my HE-6 has, this is a trivial thing though. I would like to know how to purchase new pads as they aren't on the head-direct site...post #23 of 475/17/11 at 12:22amI think my plastic disc is cracked on the replacement pad, but the 'teeth' are still there. The original pad had a cracked disc and a missing 'tooth'.
Ugh. It's almost impossible not to put it back on without possibly cracking the plastic. Stupidity from Hifiman to use such a dumb design.post #24 of 475/17/11 at 12:31ampost #25 of 475/17/11 at 12:32ampost #26 of 475/17/11 at 1:43am
Haha, I faced the exact same issue when I 1st got my He-4.
Didnt dare to post at first, as I was asking myself am I too dumb to not even be able to get the pads on. Sounds like I'm not alone. I ended up sending the whole headphone back for them to fix as I was paranoid with the issue.post #27 of 475/17/11 at 4:10ampost #28 of 475/17/11 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #29 of 475/17/11 at 8:18am
Yes, keep us posted on the HE-500 replacement pads please.
The plastic discs used for securing the stock pads look like something you could make yourself if you could find the right material. Then after than you can probably cut and make a custom fit for any pad around the same size as stock pad (prob a 50mm pad). Anybody have any ideas where to find some thin, stiff plastic sheets to make a set? I would love to hear these with some my comfy leather SA5000k, or some thin leather W5000 pads! Those stock velour pads are deceiving because they look soft, but whatever is inside is pretty stiff and uncomfortable and I also worry sometimes that there might not be a good seal (especially considering the way the plastic ring insert sits - maybe try blutak like RD suggested). Supposedly the HE-500 pads use a softer inner padding, and I bet that it make the HE series headphones sound slightly warmer if the softer pads compress more and bring your ears closer to the driver...
Edited by Philimon - 5/17/11 at 8:20ampost #30 of 475/17/11 at 4:40pmThread Starter
Just got an email back from Head-Direct customer service.
Basically they said they would send an urgent message to the shipping manager in China asking if they sell extra earpads for the HE-500.
- Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 3 minutes ago
- › 2014 CanJam @ RMAF (October 10-12, 2014): The CanJam exhibitor list... 3 minutes ago
- › Chi-Uni-Fi 8.5 Chicago Area HP Meet - Nov 8th 2014 6 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)