Enclosed is a picture I took of the back of the ear-pad on the HE-5. Is this what you are all talking about? If so although hard to do it was not impossible to re-install by slightly bending the pad so it clicks into place.
Related Forum Threads
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-300, HE-4, or HD650 Last post on 9/25/11 at 3:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-500 vs HE-4 | Comparison & Review Last post on 6/23/14 at 1:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- So I kinda modded my HE-500... Last post on 6/5/11 at 1:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
With thanks to @alexsv of WyWires and @ejong7 my esteemed friend and headfier extraordinaire, I have the privilege of bringing to the UK the WyWires Red Headphone Cable. I have been sent these all...
Jomo4 The full and long review can be found here: LINK Website: jomoaudio.com Product page: Link Specifications: o Quad Balanced Armature Drivers: 1 x...
-Introduction- The last encounter I had with Advanced Sound was a decent while ago, right around the release of their first IEM, the M4. That was their freshmen release, and...
All instruments come to live with pm1, crystal clear and smooth at the same time. Pm1 made my Sennheiser hd650 and Grado reference 1 sound harsh and incomplete. I had some time to listen to hd800...
The Fiil Diva headphone is probably one of the most intuitive headphones south of $200. They have features that make them almost 3-4 headphones in one, currently they can be had for about $129 on...
Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads! - Page 2post #16 of 475/16/11 at 7:31pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 475/16/11 at 7:34pmThread Starter
Yup, that's it. I cracked that plastic disc that the tabs are on.
It's quite easy to get two of the tabs in place, but then you have to seriously push it (aka pretty much bend plastic) the opposite direction to get the other two into place. It's incredibly difficult and very unnerving. I think I got lucky on my second pair...post #18 of 475/16/11 at 7:49pm
When I pulled mine off, I looked at it and spend a good 10 minutes pondering, "Balls, how does this thing go back on? Like....no...what about....no....or....no, not that way either. How...ok, vodka time."post #19 of 475/16/11 at 7:50pmHmm now that I think about it, those pads dont seem to seal very well, which anyone who has modded orthos can tell you is really important. They also use velour pads which dont seal either but I wonder what a ring of tak around the inside edge of those pads would do to the sound. Anyone want to try?post #20 of 475/16/11 at 8:07pmThread StarterQuote:
A picture would be awesome as well!post #21 of 475/17/11 at 12:16ampost #22 of 475/17/11 at 12:20am
HAHAHA I had no issues taking them off...But I had the hardest time getting the last tab in...that's when I cracked my plastic disc. Luckily they still got back on but they aren't as secure as they were before...
I also thought HiFiMan would have had a better pad design. For the sound quality my HE-6 has, this is a trivial thing though. I would like to know how to purchase new pads as they aren't on the head-direct site...post #23 of 475/17/11 at 12:22amI think my plastic disc is cracked on the replacement pad, but the 'teeth' are still there. The original pad had a cracked disc and a missing 'tooth'.
Ugh. It's almost impossible not to put it back on without possibly cracking the plastic. Stupidity from Hifiman to use such a dumb design.post #24 of 475/17/11 at 12:31ampost #25 of 475/17/11 at 12:32amIt's that supid plastic that can 'cut' you if you're not careful. For such expensive headphones, they certainly skimped in that area.post #26 of 475/17/11 at 1:43am
Haha, I faced the exact same issue when I 1st got my He-4.
Didnt dare to post at first, as I was asking myself am I too dumb to not even be able to get the pads on. Sounds like I'm not alone. I ended up sending the whole headphone back for them to fix as I was paranoid with the issue.post #27 of 475/17/11 at 4:10ampost #28 of 475/17/11 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #29 of 475/17/11 at 8:18am
Yes, keep us posted on the HE-500 replacement pads please.
The plastic discs used for securing the stock pads look like something you could make yourself if you could find the right material. Then after than you can probably cut and make a custom fit for any pad around the same size as stock pad (prob a 50mm pad). Anybody have any ideas where to find some thin, stiff plastic sheets to make a set? I would love to hear these with some my comfy leather SA5000k, or some thin leather W5000 pads! Those stock velour pads are deceiving because they look soft, but whatever is inside is pretty stiff and uncomfortable and I also worry sometimes that there might not be a good seal (especially considering the way the plastic ring insert sits - maybe try blutak like RD suggested). Supposedly the HE-500 pads use a softer inner padding, and I bet that it make the HE series headphones sound slightly warmer if the softer pads compress more and bring your ears closer to the driver...
Edited by Philimon - 5/17/11 at 8:20ampost #30 of 475/17/11 at 4:40pmThread Starter
Just got an email back from Head-Direct customer service.
Basically they said they would send an urgent message to the shipping manager in China asking if they sell extra earpads for the HE-500.
- Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › IBasso Audio IT03 10 seconds ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 14 seconds ago
- › Headphones + AMP/DAC for under 800€ 23 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 1 minute ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 2 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 4 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 4 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Martian: UM's New 2DD + 2BA Universal-only IEM 5 minutes ago
- › Press Release: Sennheiser launches URBANITE headphones 6 minutes ago
- › WyWires Red Headphone Cable by Takeanidea
- › Jomo Audio Jomo4 by Zelda
- › Advanced Sound by Cinder
- › OPPO PM-1 by Sam 88
- › Fiil Diva Bluetooth, Noise Cancelling Headphones by Tom22
- › Noble Audio Dulce Bass UIEM by darober2
- › Mitchell & Johnson Electrostatz (GL2) Kickstarter Edition -... by barondla
- › 3.14 MR3 Music Headphones, BA Balanced Armature Headphones with 3... by Brooko
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by reikoshea
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...