Enclosed is a picture I took of the back of the ear-pad on the HE-5. Is this what you are all talking about? If so although hard to do it was not impossible to re-install by slightly bending the pad so it clicks into place.
Related Forum Threads
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-300, HE-4, or HD650 Last post on 9/25/11 at 3:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-500 vs HE-4 | Comparison & Review Last post on 6/23/14 at 1:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- So I kinda modded my HE-500... Last post on 6/5/11 at 1:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Nobody said HiFi was cheap, spending $200 dollars on HiFi doesn't get you very far these days. The AudioQuest DragonFly RED is one of those rare exceptions, I think it's the best value on the...
Preamble: A group of engineers and designers has worked as OEM developers and producers for audio products, acting in the background, until 2012, when they decided to found a...
EDIFIER M710 On-ear headphones This is the third Edifier headphones I review and it conclude a very pleasant travel in Edifier Sound world. I discover that a brand mostly know for his...
I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion. The manufacturer...
Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads! - Page 2post #16 of 475/16/11 at 7:31pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 475/16/11 at 7:34pmThread Starter
Yup, that's it. I cracked that plastic disc that the tabs are on.
It's quite easy to get two of the tabs in place, but then you have to seriously push it (aka pretty much bend plastic) the opposite direction to get the other two into place. It's incredibly difficult and very unnerving. I think I got lucky on my second pair...post #18 of 475/16/11 at 7:49pm
When I pulled mine off, I looked at it and spend a good 10 minutes pondering, "Balls, how does this thing go back on? Like....no...what about....no....or....no, not that way either. How...ok, vodka time."post #19 of 475/16/11 at 7:50pmHmm now that I think about it, those pads dont seem to seal very well, which anyone who has modded orthos can tell you is really important. They also use velour pads which dont seal either but I wonder what a ring of tak around the inside edge of those pads would do to the sound. Anyone want to try?post #20 of 475/16/11 at 8:07pmThread StarterQuote:
A picture would be awesome as well!post #21 of 475/17/11 at 12:16ampost #22 of 475/17/11 at 12:20am
HAHAHA I had no issues taking them off...But I had the hardest time getting the last tab in...that's when I cracked my plastic disc. Luckily they still got back on but they aren't as secure as they were before...
I also thought HiFiMan would have had a better pad design. For the sound quality my HE-6 has, this is a trivial thing though. I would like to know how to purchase new pads as they aren't on the head-direct site...post #23 of 475/17/11 at 12:22amI think my plastic disc is cracked on the replacement pad, but the 'teeth' are still there. The original pad had a cracked disc and a missing 'tooth'.
Ugh. It's almost impossible not to put it back on without possibly cracking the plastic. Stupidity from Hifiman to use such a dumb design.post #24 of 475/17/11 at 12:31ampost #25 of 475/17/11 at 12:32amIt's that supid plastic that can 'cut' you if you're not careful. For such expensive headphones, they certainly skimped in that area.post #26 of 475/17/11 at 1:43am
Haha, I faced the exact same issue when I 1st got my He-4.
Didnt dare to post at first, as I was asking myself am I too dumb to not even be able to get the pads on. Sounds like I'm not alone. I ended up sending the whole headphone back for them to fix as I was paranoid with the issue.post #27 of 475/17/11 at 4:10ampost #28 of 475/17/11 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #29 of 475/17/11 at 8:18am
Yes, keep us posted on the HE-500 replacement pads please.
The plastic discs used for securing the stock pads look like something you could make yourself if you could find the right material. Then after than you can probably cut and make a custom fit for any pad around the same size as stock pad (prob a 50mm pad). Anybody have any ideas where to find some thin, stiff plastic sheets to make a set? I would love to hear these with some my comfy leather SA5000k, or some thin leather W5000 pads! Those stock velour pads are deceiving because they look soft, but whatever is inside is pretty stiff and uncomfortable and I also worry sometimes that there might not be a good seal (especially considering the way the plastic ring insert sits - maybe try blutak like RD suggested). Supposedly the HE-500 pads use a softer inner padding, and I bet that it make the HE series headphones sound slightly warmer if the softer pads compress more and bring your ears closer to the driver...
Edited by Philimon - 5/17/11 at 8:20ampost #30 of 475/17/11 at 4:40pmThread Starter
Just got an email back from Head-Direct customer service.
Basically they said they would send an urgent message to the shipping manager in China asking if they sell extra earpads for the HE-500.
- Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Portable CD player. just now
- › Rhapsodio – A force to be reckoned with 51 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 52 seconds ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 55 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Ideal Headphone (HD800/Audeze) music, suggestions,please 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 5 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 6 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 7 minutes ago
- › Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by Stereocilia
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by HiFiChris
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by twister6
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse