Enclosed is a picture I took of the back of the ear-pad on the HE-5. Is this what you are all talking about? If so although hard to do it was not impossible to re-install by slightly bending the pad so it clicks into place.
Related Forum Threads
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-300, HE-4, or HD650 Last post on 9/25/11 at 3:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-500 vs HE-4 | Comparison & Review Last post on 6/23/14 at 1:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- So I kinda modded my HE-500... Last post on 6/5/11 at 1:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
Preamble Whilst I have been an audio enthusiast for many years now, I must admit I have never really been all that interested in using any kind of esoteric cables with my systems. I have always...
Preamble: It is finally happening – Brainwavz Audio is making in-ears with Balanced Armature drivers again. After they were introduced to the public few months ago, the two single-BA...
The Lyra, released back in 2014-15 was refreshed along with Campfire Audio's dynamic and hybrid lineup as the Lyra II, and is a personal single dynamic driver favourite. We would like to thank...
Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads! - Page 2post #16 of 475/16/11 at 7:31pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 475/16/11 at 7:34pmThread Starter
Yup, that's it. I cracked that plastic disc that the tabs are on.
It's quite easy to get two of the tabs in place, but then you have to seriously push it (aka pretty much bend plastic) the opposite direction to get the other two into place. It's incredibly difficult and very unnerving. I think I got lucky on my second pair...post #18 of 475/16/11 at 7:49pm
When I pulled mine off, I looked at it and spend a good 10 minutes pondering, "Balls, how does this thing go back on? Like....no...what about....no....or....no, not that way either. How...ok, vodka time."post #19 of 475/16/11 at 7:50pmHmm now that I think about it, those pads dont seem to seal very well, which anyone who has modded orthos can tell you is really important. They also use velour pads which dont seal either but I wonder what a ring of tak around the inside edge of those pads would do to the sound. Anyone want to try?post #20 of 475/16/11 at 8:07pmThread StarterQuote:
A picture would be awesome as well!post #21 of 475/17/11 at 12:16ampost #22 of 475/17/11 at 12:20am
HAHAHA I had no issues taking them off...But I had the hardest time getting the last tab in...that's when I cracked my plastic disc. Luckily they still got back on but they aren't as secure as they were before...
I also thought HiFiMan would have had a better pad design. For the sound quality my HE-6 has, this is a trivial thing though. I would like to know how to purchase new pads as they aren't on the head-direct site...post #23 of 475/17/11 at 12:22amI think my plastic disc is cracked on the replacement pad, but the 'teeth' are still there. The original pad had a cracked disc and a missing 'tooth'.
Ugh. It's almost impossible not to put it back on without possibly cracking the plastic. Stupidity from Hifiman to use such a dumb design.post #24 of 475/17/11 at 12:31ampost #25 of 475/17/11 at 12:32amIt's that supid plastic that can 'cut' you if you're not careful. For such expensive headphones, they certainly skimped in that area.post #26 of 475/17/11 at 1:43am
Haha, I faced the exact same issue when I 1st got my He-4.
Didnt dare to post at first, as I was asking myself am I too dumb to not even be able to get the pads on. Sounds like I'm not alone. I ended up sending the whole headphone back for them to fix as I was paranoid with the issue.post #27 of 475/17/11 at 4:10ampost #28 of 475/17/11 at 7:10amThread Starterpost #29 of 475/17/11 at 8:18am
Yes, keep us posted on the HE-500 replacement pads please.
The plastic discs used for securing the stock pads look like something you could make yourself if you could find the right material. Then after than you can probably cut and make a custom fit for any pad around the same size as stock pad (prob a 50mm pad). Anybody have any ideas where to find some thin, stiff plastic sheets to make a set? I would love to hear these with some my comfy leather SA5000k, or some thin leather W5000 pads! Those stock velour pads are deceiving because they look soft, but whatever is inside is pretty stiff and uncomfortable and I also worry sometimes that there might not be a good seal (especially considering the way the plastic ring insert sits - maybe try blutak like RD suggested). Supposedly the HE-500 pads use a softer inner padding, and I bet that it make the HE series headphones sound slightly warmer if the softer pads compress more and bring your ears closer to the driver...
Edited by Philimon - 5/17/11 at 8:20ampost #30 of 475/17/11 at 4:40pmThread Starter
Just got an email back from Head-Direct customer service.
Basically they said they would send an urgent message to the shipping manager in China asking if they sell extra earpads for the HE-500.
- Use EXTREME caution when removing HiFiMAN earpads!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 8 seconds ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread 11 seconds ago
- › Good first CIEM? 14 seconds ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 25 seconds ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation 31 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 46 seconds ago
- › Please help me 48 seconds ago
- › The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5 by NCSUZoSo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by FortisFlyer75
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by twister6
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear