I'm considering this toy, but can't find any fresh information about it. Do you know if something has changed with this model over recent years? Or, is it exactly the same thing as it was 10 years ago... If so, would you consider it anyway, knowing that you can have the Hifiman HE-4 for a little less and the Stax SRS-2170 for roughly the same price? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks,
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 3/7/13
Related Forum Threads
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Is headphone "break-in" an actual phenomenon? Last post on 7/12/14 at 7:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophone $699 Last post on 6/1/14 at 8:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Koss 950s vs. Vintage Stax Lambdas Last post on 4/30/14 at 12:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking to re-cable Koss ESP 950 Last post on 11/8/14 at 1:41pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
Sound is neutral with a slight mid bass tilt. Highs and lows are well extended. Sound stage is large for an iem. The bass has some impact without being boomy. The treble is clear without...
Thanks to Vivian from DUNU, I was able to listen to the best IEMs I place in my ears. I have reviewed a few IEMs such as the MEELEC M9, A151, CC51, M-DUO, JVC FXT90 and recently the Havi B3P1, but...
These have nice dynamics and are flatter than some headphones. Despite that the low-end still has enough gusto to bring tracks to life. Another benefit is the detachable cable which uses a 5N OFC...
Disclaimer: I am in not associated with any company; my views are mine, and my own. The Thinksound Rain2 is the newest IEM produced and designed by the environmentally friendly company...
Introduction: When I first came accross the AudioMinor in e-bay I was surprised that the seller is located in the country where I live: Turkey. I have contacted with the company...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Something new with the Koss ESP950
my pics of the amp internals show a '90 date on the PCB slikscreen
the rest of the thread may say more
I don't believe it has changed much since it came out I believe in the 90's. It was pretty good for its time but could use some upgrading especially in its amp. However you can recable the phones or just make an adapter to run the phones from a high bias Stax or other better amp. I had a set for several years and finally sold them and stayed with Stax. Some people liked them a lot, especially mated with Stax amps.
The ESP950 is 20 years old now and not much has changed. The first units shipped with a transformer based box but those are truly rare since I've never seen one in the wild. The rest has stayed the same since 1991.
In terms of sound they are easily on par with any Stax Lambda and if you play with the damping a bit they are truly spectacular headphones.
May I ask why? Do you expect an entry ES sytem to be better? We're missing good comparisons between Stax and Hifiman, at least I didn't find many...
You score a point AudioCats ! You score a point...
HE-4 350g vs ESP950 283g... Not a big difference, but advantage to the ESP...
Surprise, the SR-207 with cable is even heavier than the HE-4 !
Edited by Headdie - 5/12/11 at 4:07pm
I bought an ESP-950 maybe six or eight years ago. I've found as my source improves, the ESP-950 improves right along with it. It is a remarkably good headphone system for the money.
is the HE-4 comparable to ESP950, sound-wise? HE5 is more like it, then your neck will feel the weight difference.
They still make these things? Wow, I had used them (& liked them at the time so much I got 2 sets) over 20 years ago. Most electronics that old are in the Smithsonian now.
At the time a 300 megabyte hard drive was the standard on a PC.
No dust issues here.
You are right about the squealing. Now that I think back, one of my pairs had this very low level whine, I believe in just one of the drivers, that was always there.
Ah the good old days.
I got mine from J&R on impulse when I saw a newspaper ad from J&R.
- Something new with the Koss ESP950
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 29 seconds ago
- › The Meaning of Life 1 minute ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 1 minute ago
- › New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding 2 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP100 (DAP) Support Team - Now on Head-fi! 2 minutes ago
- › New: MATRIX M-STAGE DAC 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › What does science think I should buy in the head fi market? 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › X1 Custom Firmwares 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold by Frank I
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Inks
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Hifi Enthusiast
- › 3 cheap ways to get interior design advice
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2