I'm considering this toy, but can't find any fresh information about it. Do you know if something has changed with this model over recent years? Or, is it exactly the same thing as it was 10 years ago... If so, would you consider it anyway, knowing that you can have the Hifiman HE-4 for a little less and the Stax SRS-2170 for roughly the same price? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks,
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 3/7/13
Related Forum Threads
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Is headphone "break-in" an actual phenomenon? Last post on 7/12/14 at 7:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophone $699 Last post on 6/1/14 at 8:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Koss 950s vs. Vintage Stax Lambdas Last post on 4/30/14 at 12:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking to re-cable Koss ESP 950 Last post on 11/8/14 at 1:41pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
In 1976 two engineering students at Cambridge University with a passion for electronics and music founded Amplification and Recording Cambridge (Arcam). In 1988 they produced the first...
Very detailed quality sound . I am able to find details which missed before. Details with layer and staging. Staging and positioning isn't huge or odd. But I can feel it in my head when listening...
Disclaimer Firstly, I would like to thank the 1More team for giving these to me for the purpose of this review. All impressions will be made from as much as an objective standpoint as possible....
This is a review of the Advanced AcousticWerkes Nebula 2 IEM’s. The Advanced AcousticWerkes (AAW) Nebula 2 was sent to me from MusicTeck who is the authorized dealer in the US for AWW. A big...
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Brainwavz being based in Hongkong is quite known for its well set-up line of Accessories and IEMs. Back in the day, I was fairly active in modding my still beloved...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Something new with the Koss ESP950
Gear mentioned in this thread:
my pics of the amp internals show a '90 date on the PCB slikscreen
the rest of the thread may say more
I don't believe it has changed much since it came out I believe in the 90's. It was pretty good for its time but could use some upgrading especially in its amp. However you can recable the phones or just make an adapter to run the phones from a high bias Stax or other better amp. I had a set for several years and finally sold them and stayed with Stax. Some people liked them a lot, especially mated with Stax amps.
The ESP950 is 20 years old now and not much has changed. The first units shipped with a transformer based box but those are truly rare since I've never seen one in the wild. The rest has stayed the same since 1991.
In terms of sound they are easily on par with any Stax Lambda and if you play with the damping a bit they are truly spectacular headphones.
May I ask why? Do you expect an entry ES sytem to be better? We're missing good comparisons between Stax and Hifiman, at least I didn't find many...
You score a point AudioCats ! You score a point...
HE-4 350g vs ESP950 283g... Not a big difference, but advantage to the ESP...
Surprise, the SR-207 with cable is even heavier than the HE-4 !
Edited by Headdie - 5/12/11 at 4:07pm
I bought an ESP-950 maybe six or eight years ago. I've found as my source improves, the ESP-950 improves right along with it. It is a remarkably good headphone system for the money.
is the HE-4 comparable to ESP950, sound-wise? HE5 is more like it, then your neck will feel the weight difference.
They still make these things? Wow, I had used them (& liked them at the time so much I got 2 sets) over 20 years ago. Most electronics that old are in the Smithsonian now.
At the time a 300 megabyte hard drive was the standard on a PC.
No dust issues here.
You are right about the squealing. Now that I think back, one of my pairs had this very low level whine, I believe in just one of the drivers, that was always there.
Ah the good old days.
I got mine from J&R on impulse when I saw a newspaper ad from J&R.
- Something new with the Koss ESP950
- › Are you a console or PC gamer? 15 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 39 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 46 seconds ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › TH-900 Fostex EZ-Simple Mods and other Fostex Dynamic Variants... 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 2 minutes ago
- › DIY OTG Micro USB B cable to USB B Tutorial 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › Arcam irDAC-II - DAC, Headphone Amp, Bluetooth Streamer by crabdog
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by dubbcd
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by dnun8086
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by peter123
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by FUYU
- › Panasonic sealed earphone high-res sound source Silver RP-HDE10-S by Ralphee
- › SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 Big Power High Fidelity Stereo Headphone... by richyboy
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by crabdog
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by Prosie
- › Soundaware Esther by Jackpot77
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...