I'm considering this toy, but can't find any fresh information about it. Do you know if something has changed with this model over recent years? Or, is it exactly the same thing as it was 10 years ago... If so, would you consider it anyway, knowing that you can have the Hifiman HE-4 for a little less and the Stax SRS-2170 for roughly the same price? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks,
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 3/7/13
Related Forum Threads
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Headphone and Amplifier with Extra New Earpads Last post on 12/27/14 at 11:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Is headphone "break-in" an actual phenomenon? Last post on 7/12/14 at 7:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Koss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophone $699 Last post on 6/1/14 at 8:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Koss 950s vs. Vintage Stax Lambdas Last post on 4/30/14 at 12:11pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking to re-cable Koss ESP 950 Last post on 11/8/14 at 1:41pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
RHA T20 Review Tour Many thanks to RHA and forum member Rearwing for arranging the tour and the generosity of a 10-day listening period (my suspicion though is to pass some thanks to reviewer...
Construction, Materials, and Comfort: For starters, the protein leather is extremely soft and supple, and makes the ear pads and headband luxurious to touch. Heat retention actually isn't as bad...
I originally bought these after my earphones that came with my phone broke. After receiving these I was extremely pleased with the bass: it was boomy, punchy and felt powerful. These were also very...
I am an amateur recording engineer that mainly uses a laptop pc on location with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. The bus power is no doubt as noisy as a baby with a full diaper that's up way past...
NOTE: This is my first review and I'm a budding audio enthusiast. This is no pro review, just a newb trying to put audio nuances to words. These are my first pair of Balanced Armatures and I am...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Something new with the Koss ESP950
my pics of the amp internals show a '90 date on the PCB slikscreen
the rest of the thread may say more
I don't believe it has changed much since it came out I believe in the 90's. It was pretty good for its time but could use some upgrading especially in its amp. However you can recable the phones or just make an adapter to run the phones from a high bias Stax or other better amp. I had a set for several years and finally sold them and stayed with Stax. Some people liked them a lot, especially mated with Stax amps.
The ESP950 is 20 years old now and not much has changed. The first units shipped with a transformer based box but those are truly rare since I've never seen one in the wild. The rest has stayed the same since 1991.
In terms of sound they are easily on par with any Stax Lambda and if you play with the damping a bit they are truly spectacular headphones.
May I ask why? Do you expect an entry ES sytem to be better? We're missing good comparisons between Stax and Hifiman, at least I didn't find many...
You score a point AudioCats ! You score a point...
HE-4 350g vs ESP950 283g... Not a big difference, but advantage to the ESP...
Surprise, the SR-207 with cable is even heavier than the HE-4 !
Edited by Headdie - 5/12/11 at 4:07pm
I bought an ESP-950 maybe six or eight years ago. I've found as my source improves, the ESP-950 improves right along with it. It is a remarkably good headphone system for the money.
is the HE-4 comparable to ESP950, sound-wise? HE5 is more like it, then your neck will feel the weight difference.
They still make these things? Wow, I had used them (& liked them at the time so much I got 2 sets) over 20 years ago. Most electronics that old are in the Smithsonian now.
At the time a 300 megabyte hard drive was the standard on a PC.
No dust issues here.
You are right about the squealing. Now that I think back, one of my pairs had this very low level whine, I believe in just one of the drivers, that was always there.
Ah the good old days.
I got mine from J&R on impulse when I saw a newspaper ad from J&R.
- Something new with the Koss ESP950
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 35 seconds ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal 1 minute ago
- › [AUS] OPPO HA-2 - PRICE DROP 1 minute ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 3 minutes ago
- › The Best Noise Cancelling (ANC) Bluetooth Headphones "discussion... 3 minutes ago
- › IC: FitEar fitear 3 minutes ago
- › RHA T20 by LFC_SL
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)