Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Converting MP3 to Flac good or bad idea?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Converting MP3 to Flac good or bad idea?

post #1 of 80
Thread Starter 

As title states, finding music in flac format is a hassle, and cd ripping is pretty expensive x.x

post #2 of 80

you can't upconvert. mp3--> flac is not possible

post #3 of 80
Thread Starter 

:(, i thought i did my research right too

post #4 of 80

Horrible idea. You can upconvert, but it will do no good, except create a larger file with the same audio quality. When you convert to a lossy format (.mp3 for instance) you are removing some information from the file for the sake of size preservation. Once lost that information can never be brought back, not unless you have the original media on hand, but then you'd just be reripping and not transcoding. 

 

BTW... is it wrong that upon reading this topic I instantly thought of the Animaniacs and considered replying in that manner?....

 

Know what? I shall anyway...

 

Good Idea: Taking a CD and ripping it into the FLAC format. [insert scene of a happy head-fier]L3000.gif

 

Bad Idea: Taking a 192kbps mp3 and transcoding it into FLAC format [insert scene of a head-fier's head being blown up from poor audio quality] (no smiley to depict this, sorry)


Edited by kyuuketsuki - 5/1/11 at 10:48pm
post #5 of 80

yeah.. well i meant impossible in the sense that your attemptoing to go from lossy to lossless = impossible. 

post #6 of 80

37.2 MB (39,021,032 bytes)   FLAC Normalized
9.38 MB (9,838,222 bytes)     Mp3 before a FLAC was made     I read the bic2101 and thought I would give it a try. Sounds better now normalized but I'm a purest and I think this is a waist of time. Leave Mp3s as they are.

 

 

 

Correction....................I can not tell the difference in the Mp3 prenormalized and the FLAC normalized. The two files sound the same.

 

 


Edited by Redcarmoose - 5/2/11 at 12:08am
post #7 of 80

It's possible and harmless but will not give you any benefit. The only reason to do this would be in the distant future, when the last iPod standing is about to sunset the MP3 format, FLAC still survives (maybe) and you want to keep jamming to your favorite old MP3s.  As far as which format will last longer, my money would be on MP3, as it's still the king lossy format while FLAC is just one of a dozen equivalent lossless ones.

post #8 of 80

why don't you try it yourself and see whether it works for you?

 

I'm using dbPowerAmp Music Convertor to get from lossy to lossless......why shouldn't it work

post #9 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

Horrible idea. You can upconvert, but it will do no good, except create a larger file with the same audio quality. When you convert to a lossy format (.mp3 for instance) you are removing some information from the file for the sake of size preservation. Once lost that information can never be brought back, not unless you have the original media on hand, but then you'd just be reripping and not transcoding. 

 

BTW... is it wrong that upon reading this topic I instantly thought of the Animaniacs and considered replying in that manner?....

 

Know what? I shall anyway...

 

Good Idea: Taking a CD and ripping it into the FLAC format. [insert scene of a happy head-fier]L3000.gif

 

Bad Idea: Taking a 192kbps mp3 and transcoding it into FLAC format [insert scene of a head-fier's head being blown up from poor audio quality] (no smiley to depict this, sorry)



beerchug.gif

 

Converting lossy to lossless is a HORRENDOUS idea, and should never be done for it serves no purpose, other than increasing the world's quota of bad FLACs.

post #10 of 80

But honestly 192kbps is really worth converting, for me.

In my ears the difference between 192 and Flac in very noticeable.

 

post #11 of 80


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamthinker View Post

why don't you try it yourself and see whether it works for you?

 

I'm using dbPowerAmp Music Convertor to get from lossy to lossless......why shouldn't it work


Going from lossy to lossless is impossible, as already stated.

 

post #12 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post

Going from lossy to lossless is impossible, as already stated.

 


i am very sorry, but i don't understand what you mean.

 

do you mean that converters only resize the songs?

post #13 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamthinker View Post

But honestly 192kbps is really worth converting, for me.

In my ears the difference between 192 and Flac in very noticeable.

 



Converting, for instance, a lossy 192kbps file to lossless will give you a perfect reproduction of a 192kbps lossy file on the size of a lossless file. No gains there whatsoever.

post #14 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamthinker View Post




i am very sorry, but i don't understand what you mean.

 

do you mean that converters only resize the songs?



Yes, exactly

 

When you rip from a CD into FLAC (Lossless)

 

The details and quality is there, straight from the original.

This the best (and only 0.o) option we should be doing.

 

From here, yes you can rip the FLAC into mp3

 

HOWEVER doing the opposite would just waste your time and storage

 

Ripping a CD into mp3 (Lossy)

 

Already, mp3 is a compressed format, meaning it will lose detail and quality over size

THAT detail and quality is LOST for good.

 

Ripping into FLAC would just increase that space, not gaining any advantages in audio quality.

post #15 of 80
Compare a small cup (MP3) to a large cup (FLAC). The original CD has as much water (song info) as will fill the large cup.

If you fill the large cup with water you have all the water (song info).

If you fill the small cup, you will lose some water (song info) forever.

Now if you take what you have in the small cup and put it in the large cup you still only have as much water as was in that small cup, except you still take up a large cup of space.


So going from MP3 to FLAC will not make the file sound any better, if will only take up much more space on your Hard Drive.

If you want better quality, you really have to rip FLAC straight from the CD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Converting MP3 to Flac good or bad idea?