or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 556

post #8326 of 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by daerron View Post
 

Just be wary with those adapters with certain amps that use split ground planes you will damage your amp using an adapter like that. It is better to use an XLR -> speaker tap adapter to be on the safe side. The Emotiva uses a shared plane as far as I aware so there it should be fine.

 

Tbh, you should have enough knowledge of speaker amplifiers, to the point of understanding if yours has a shared ground, before attaching headphones to them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

 

+1. Safest route to go is the HE-adapter and their 4 pin xlr cable. That will run you $250. Otherwise I've seen this: http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Banana_to_1_4_Headphone_Jack_adapter_p/the0000005.htm

 

Wow! That's pretty expensive! 

post #8327 of 16740

Just got this bad boy in the post:

 

post #8328 of 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

Tbh, you should have enough knowledge of speaker amplifiers, to the point of understanding if yours has a shared ground, before attaching headphones to them.


Wow! That's pretty expensive! 
Didnt know this..so that emotiva is not such a good deal then if u have to buy such a cable too...(and on top of that the risk of damaging ur amp also if ur not technical!) for that price...around 600usd u could buy a very special amp..kuch..337..kuch lyr..kuch..and more coughs... biggrin.gif
Well..for the non technical and budgetminded (ahum) persons like me.. A headphone amp would be the easiest and cheapest way to get ur he500 sing..for around 500usd..no cable thingies..just switch on..connect ur headphone and halleluhah.. It is alive wink.gif

especially if ur in europe u can have a very special deal....kuch 337..kuch..oopsie... biggrin.gif
post #8329 of 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post
 
 
Didnt know this..so that emotiva is not such a good deal then if u have to buy such a cable too...(and on top of that the risk of damaging ur amp also if ur not technical!) for that price...around 600usd u could buy a very special amp..kuch..337..kuch lyr..kuch..and more coughs... biggrin.gif
Well..for the non technical and budgetminded (ahum) persons like me.. A headphone amp would be the easiest and cheapest way to get ur he500 sing..for around 500usd..no cable thingies..just switch on..connect ur headphone and halleluhah.. It is alive wink.gif

especially if ur in europe u can have a very special deal....kuch 337..kuch..oopsie... biggrin.gif

 

Well, I mean this is kind of the essence of money in audio. If you really learn about what's going on and learn what does and doesn't effect sound to what extent you can get far better performance per dollar. Otherwise, you're fools for the taking to a good number of audio vendors. 

 

So, if you know how to make one of these cables it'll cost about $5 to make and cheap one. You can make a nicer one for about $10. OR you can pay these guys $120 to make it. Cables are a particularly egregious example. 

 

I've always considered getting a darkvoice. They look great, and I'm sure the 337 sounds great as well. But when I was looking at this price range, it just made more sense to get the Little Dot VI+ because it's balanced and gets more power to swing over the 337. 

 

Little Dot VI+

 

Darkvoice 337

post #8330 of 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

Well, I mean this is kind of the essence of money in audio. If you really learn about what's going on and learn what does and doesn't effect sound to what extent you can get far better performance per dollar. Otherwise, you're fools for the taking to a good number of audio vendors. 

So, if you know how to make one of these cables it'll cost about $5 to make and cheap one. You can make a nicer one for about $10. OR you can pay these guys $120 to make it. Cables are a particularly egregious example. 

I've always considered getting a darkvoice. They look great, and I'm sure the 337 sounds great as well. But when I was looking at this price range, it just made more sense to get the Little Dot VI+ because it's balanced and gets more power to swing over the 337. 

Little Dot VI+

Darkvoice 337
Never heard a little dot amp in real life..but they have same good reputation as darkvoice/lafigaro.but i agree on paper it looks like the little dot is better..but I KNOW from experience the 337 is wonderful with the he500...

and guess what....i know a certain modded one for sale with good tubes even under those prices... Pity its for 220v.. Dont know if its usable in USA with 110v (maybe with converter?).but for any european based audiolover this is a steal... 500euros.. Even if u consider a balanced little dot (dont u need to recable the he500 to balanced also? That costs extra money also, right?)..its a deal in a million.
Edited by hifimanrookie - 10/3/13 at 3:28pm
post #8331 of 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjapirate9901 View Post
 

Just got this bad boy in the post:

 

 

Nice. Impressions?

post #8332 of 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

Tbh, you should have enough knowledge of speaker amplifiers, to the point of understanding if yours has a shared ground, before attaching headphones to them.

 

 

Wow! That's pretty expensive! 

It's guaranteed to improve the sound of your HE500 at least 2x, if you can hear/appreciate the fine, exquisite differences....:p

post #8333 of 16740


I think this set was about $150
post #8334 of 16740
One of the best investment for my HE500s
post #8335 of 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

 

Nice. Impressions?

 

Pretty nice, a bit brighter than what I'm used to. Bit more energy in the upper ranges compared to the HA-160 and Mini-X. Punchy and tight bass, mids are pretty neutral (especially when compared to the Ember). Seems to have more than enough power to go well with anything I have (still haven't tried any IEM's with it).

 

HE-500 pairs up with it fairly well (really tightens the bass up) but I do prefer the LCD-2 with this amp.

post #8336 of 16740

Why has no one tried this yet? $20. The cable from BTG would cost more...

 

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI

 

It works. Plenty of power for the HE-500 + Bass/Treble control. Adds plenty of extra bass to match what an Audeze would do. Can't beat it. I'm listening on mine right now.

post #8337 of 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Why has no one tried this yet? $20. The cable from BTG would cost more...

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI

It works. Plenty of power for the HE-500 + Bass/Treble control. Adds plenty of extra bass to match what an Audeze would do. Can't beat it. I'm listening on mine right now.
I use the TP60 which is also a tripath. Sounds awesome.
post #8338 of 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjapirate9901 View Post
 

 

Pretty nice, a bit brighter than what I'm used to. Bit more energy in the upper ranges compared to the HA-160 and Mini-X. Punchy and tight bass, mids are pretty neutral (especially when compared to the Ember). Seems to have more than enough power to go well with anything I have (still haven't tried any IEM's with it).

 

HE-500 pairs up with it fairly well (really tightens the bass up) but I do prefer the LCD-2 with this amp.

 

Hmmmm really? I keep hearing that the soloist is on the dark side and a bit slower. Got to try it out for myself with LSD-3 :)

 

How's the bass compared to the Emotiva w/LCD-2?

post #8339 of 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Why has no one tried this yet? $20. The cable from BTG would cost more...

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI

It works. Plenty of power for the HE-500 + Bass/Treble control. Adds plenty of extra bass to match what an Audeze would do. Can't beat it. I'm listening on mine right now.
I think the neutrality, dryness, coldness of the tripath amps really help to balance out the darkness of the HE500s
post #8340 of 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post


I think the neutrality, dryness, coldness of the tripath amps really help to balance out the darkness of the HE500s

 

It does. For the price its worth the try.

 

One of the main knocks against the HE-500 is the lack of bass extension compared to the LCD-2. This helps negate that by quite a bit. With my bass knob at 3 o'clock, I get excellent, powerful, punchy sub bass out of them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .