Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 966

post #14476 of 14628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Junyuan View Post

Check out Jerg's review of the 400i. He compared it with the 500 and seems to indicate the 400i outperferforms and matches the qualities of the 500. It's as if the 400i were an upgraded 500, based on his review.

 

Thanks, I'll look for it :)

post #14477 of 14628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Junyuan View Post

Check out Jerg's review of the 400i. He compared it with the 500 and seems to indicate the 400i outperferforms and matches the qualities of the 500. It's as if the 400i were an upgraded 500, based on his review.

I found Jerg's review of 400i and 560 a bit overly enthusiastic on the new models. Many reviewers in the Chinese forums think the HE400i is a definite improvement over the HE400 but not quite at the HE500 level. The single side magnet drivers of the 400i still cannot match the precise control of the HE500 dual side magnet drivers for intrument separation and layering.

Many Chinese reviewers think the HE500 and HE560 are about equal in sound quality, just having different sound signature like the DT880 comparing to the DT990.
post #14478 of 14628
Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post

I found Jerg's review of 400i and 560 a bit overly enthusiastic on the new models. Many reviewers in the Chinese forums think the HE400i is a definite improvement over the HE400 but not quite at the HE500 level. The single side magnet drivers of the 400i still cannot match the precise control of the HE500 dual side magnet drivers for intrument separation and layering.

Many Chinese reviewers think the HE500 and HE560 are about equal in sound quality, just having different sound signature like the DT880 comparing to the DT990.

Thank you! I didn't even know there was a Chinese forum, unless you mean another site? What site are you referring to? I can write and speak some Chinese.
post #14479 of 14628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Junyuan View Post


Thank you! I didn't even know there was a Chinese forum, unless you mean another site? What site are you referring to? I can write and speak some Chinese.

 

Other sites. One of those are http://www.headphoneclub.com/forum-5-1.html

 

The mainland Chinese are getting rich now. You don't see much discussions on lower end equipment there now.

post #14480 of 14628

Just purchased a slightly used HE-500 with all the original accessories for $370. It should be in my hands tomorrow. I'll be using an integrated speaker amplifier with a headphone out to power it. It should have enough power, but I'll just have to wait and see. I'm upgrading from an HD-25-ii, so this is a real quantum leap for me. I'm ecstatic!

post #14481 of 14628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresto View Post
 

Just purchased a slightly used HE-500 with all the original accessories for $370. It should be in my hands tomorrow. I'll be using an integrated speaker amplifier with a headphone out to power it. It should have enough power, but I'll just have to wait and see. I'm upgrading from an HD-25-ii, so this is a real quantum leap for me. I'm ecstatic!

wow...that's an incredible buy!

 

I have the HD-25-1 II and HE500 myself.  HE500 is definitely an upgrade but the HD25 is still a great phone :beerchug:

post #14482 of 14628

I live in China, so I was able to take advantage of some of the deals on Taobao (Chinese eBay equivalent). The HD-25's have been very good to me. I started to browse head-fi a few years ago and eventually chose to get the HD-25's, and they've satisfied me completely for the past 2 years, but a few months ago I started to get incredibly bored with them, and decided to take the next step. I think having some variety will allow me to appreciate both cans more :D

post #14483 of 14628
What's the amp of yours?
post #14484 of 14628

I'm using a Music Hall a25.2. Listening to the headphones right now, actually. 

post #14485 of 14628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresto View Post
 

I'm using a Music Hall a25.2. Listening to the headphones right now, actually. 

I know nothing about the headphone output on the MH, though often the headphone outputs on integrated amps are poor to my understanding. You could consider connecting directly to the speaker tabs (with custom cable).

post #14486 of 14628

I looked around and read that the headphone out is decent. I'm still looking for a dedicated headphone amp though. It excites me to know that these headphones have even more potential to be unlocked! I'll look into a custom cable in the meantime. 


Edited by Espresto - 8/16/14 at 4:55am
post #14487 of 14628

So, received and have been burning in my third pair of HE-500s.  Since I'd measured the resistance of my other HFM cans, I did the same for these.  32.4 & 33.9 are what I get.  Compare that to the ~50 ohms for my HE-560s.  At that low rating, I decided to see if my li'l JDS Labs C5 portable amp could drive the HE-500s.  I tried it with a previous pair (the first, I think, which I never measured), and it was partial success.  Some things didn't clip - hot masters, I reckon - while others couldn't get loud enough to enjoy without clipping.  While I've only tested one song thus far, the C5 drove them very well, not just from a volume perspective, but quality, which that little amp definitely has.  Sadly, the HE-500s still aren't really portable ;)

 

Then I plugged in the 50-ohm HE-560s.... annnnnd quickly took them off.  It just wasn't on, which was predictable.  With the volume max'd on high gain, I could barely hear it.  OK, not that bad, but nowhere near enough power.  I know HFM products vary widely, and even within a particular model, but didn't they say the HE-560s would be easier to drive?  Maybe I'm not remembering that correctly.  Thankfully, my Lyr packs more than enough quality power to make those babies sing.

 

So, while I'm not recommending the C5 for the HE-500s, esp. considering my earlier tests, it'll certainly do in a pinch, if your HE-500s have a relative lower resistance.

post #14488 of 14628

Fact is, most HE-560's are less efficient than HE-500. Or so it seems.

post #14489 of 14628

Quick question for everyone,

 

I need a new replacement cable since my old one broke. Does this look any good, I'm on a budget

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFIMAN-HE-5-HE-6-HE-300-HE-400-HE-500-Headphone-Cable-Furutech-Upgrade-Cable-/121176877296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c36b468f0

post #14490 of 14628

regarding the amplification of the he-500/560/6, what kind of difference can I expect by moving from a budget amp like an o2 for example to a budget speaker amp like the emotiva mini-x ? I'd like to keep amp expenses to a minimum and focus instead on the dac and headphones themselves(leaning more towards getting a used he-6 with the emotiva but I can be convinced otherwise :D ).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .