or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 773

post #11581 of 18030

Yes, no one knows, I'm asking what people think.

post #11582 of 18030

Actually from what I understand the big flagship project for Fang , and the big "hush hush" secret from CES is the Jade 2 electrostat. That's not to say that the HE-6 won't undergo a major revision.

post #11583 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandala View Post
 

Actually from what I understand the big flagship project for Fang , and the big "hush hush" secret from CES is the Jade 2 electrostat. That's not to say that the HE-6 won't undergo a major revision.

What happened to the Jade1?:D

post #11584 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 

Oh my, I just turned down the volume -80db-ish on foobar instead of on windows, so then I went to facebook and played one of those vine videos....well....that was LOUD! Glad my ears AND the drivers are OK. The emo was at 12:00, if not slightly higher...

Ouch! Even at 9 o'clock them Vine videos are crazy loud

post #11585 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

What happened to the Jade1?:D


the ones who have one keep it locked away for life...and wont ever ever sell their model...it was the first model mr. fang ever made...back then his company was called HE audio if i am not mistaken..so the jade was labeled 'HE audio Jade'.

 

this phone back then was considered one of the best phones ever made! and some even consider it like that..no matter what it shortcomings were....

post #11586 of 18030

I have a feeling the Jade 2 is going to be huge. Here's to hoping for a SR-009 competitor.

post #11587 of 18030
Well, some jades were good, some weren't, so goes the saying. Substantial inconsistencies
post #11588 of 18030

Finally getting to spend some time with the HE-500's this weekend. I have got to say, wow the stock cable it comes with is garbage! Too stiff and has terrible microphonics. You can head every rub and slight tap to the wire. Strain relief on the TRS connector is so long it looks funny and its made of some cheap feeling material. Of course its too long too, but it seems most high end headphones these days come with too long cables. But seriously, dont they try and get $70 for this cable?! Needless to say Ill be making a new cable ASAP!

post #11589 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Well, some jades were good, some weren't, so goes the saying. Substantial inconsistencies
Stax had same problems with their first models..and it was mr. Fangs first hooray into headphone world...he has learned a lot ever since..just like stax did biggrin.gif
post #11590 of 18030
I am positive he has.. But there's no doubt it is very hard to produce consistent sounding stats as the margins are very small and stretching the mylar diaphragm just right is probably also very hard to do consistently..
post #11591 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

I am positive he has.. But there's no doubt it is very hard to produce consistent sounding stats as the margins are very small and stretching the mylar diaphragm just right is probably also very hard to do consistently..
If stax can do it..well...u know what i will say next wink.gif
post #11592 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Actually the Q701 Pads might be in the cards. You say there's more room inside for my ears?

 

OK, Stan the Man, I did the comparisons.  It was pretty quick in the end, and there's only one conclusion:

 

The Q701 pads make the stock velours seem like a Home Ec. project from 1982.  Not only is there a lot more room, but they don't itch like burlap that's been soaking in the Atlantic for the past three months.  My homemade jerg pads are about the same.  NOTHING against jerg and modulor for all their work, but they were trying to tweak the sound, not the comfort level.

 

NB: it's pretty damn warm in the Old Dominion today.

 

Sonically, it's also a different ballgame, but I will qualify this as being subjective, and what my ears prefer.  The stock velours have more treble energy.  I can't compare to the stock pleathers, but IIRC, that's what a lot of people say about the burlaps velours compared to the pleathers.  That might make the stock seem a little airier.  There's certainly not a lot of low end energy getting in the way.  The jerg pads definitely improve the sound, esp. the bass.  There's still plenty of high end going on, esp. when compared to the Q701 pads.  The latter seem to tame it a bit, but in the perfect measure for my ears.  I feel more bass presence/impact with the Q701 pads.  Do the Q701 pads make the sound warmer and the soundstage more intimate?  Perhaps, but I wouldn't say to HD 650 levels, or feeling claustrophobic.  And perhaps that's what I was looking for.  Perhaps my brain has been trained to like that sound now.  FWIW, I hadn't been listening to the HE-500s much in the past week, as I've been testing something on the Q701s.  Certainly my head has been trained to flove these pads.  I'm done with that hunt.

 

For $35 shipped it seems like a no-brainer to me to try the Q701 pads.

 

Hope that helps.

post #11593 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

OK, Stan the Man, I did the comparisons.  It was pretty quick in the end, and there's only one conclusion:

The Q701 pads make the stock velours seem like a Home Ec. project from 1982.  Not only is there a lot more room, but they don't itch like burlap that's been soaking in the Atlantic for the past three months.  My homemade jerg pads are about the same.  NOTHING against jerg and modulor for all their work, but they were trying to tweak the sound, not the comfort level.

NB: it's pretty damn warm in the Old Dominion today.

Sonically, it's also a different ballgame, but I will qualify this as being subjective, and what my ears prefer.  The stock velours have more treble energy.  I can't compare to the stock pleathers, but IIRC, that's what a lot of people say about the burlaps velours compared to the pleathers.  That might make the stock seem a little airier.  There's certainly not a lot of low end energy getting in the way.  The jerg pads definitely improve the sound, esp. the bass.  There's still plenty of high end going on, esp. when compared to the Q701 pads.  The latter seem to tame it a bit, but in the perfect measure for my ears.  I feel more bass presence/impact with the Q701 pads.  Do the Q701 pads make the sound warmer and the soundstage more intimate?  Perhaps, but I wouldn't say to HD 650 levels, or feeling claustrophobic.  And perhaps that's what I was looking for.  Perhaps my brain has been trained to like that sound now.  FWIW, I hadn't been listening to the HE-500s much in the past week, as I've been testing something on the Q701s.  Certainly my head has been trained to flove these pads.  I'm done with that hunt.

For $35 shipped it seems like a no-brainer to me to try the Q701 pads.

Hope that helps.
Any pics of the final product??smily_headphones1.gif
post #11594 of 18030
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post

Any pics of the final product??smily_headphones1.gif

 

Sorry, didn't take any, but mostly because it wasn't worth it.  If you've seen the HFM mounting rings, just imagine them taped to the Q701 pads.  It's a dead simple mod to do.  If you want to secure them better with the double-stick adhesives (guess that helps with the seal), and do the back vent mod, see modulor's guide.  Plenty of pix of those steps in his process (towards the end, as they are optional).

post #11595 of 18030

Hello,

 

maybe someone can me help out with this little problem. i have to screw down this front left bolt which i marked with the arrow at least twice a day.

if this continues to be the case i surely can look how i replace this screw with a new one in near future. appearently it gets loose when i put them on and off my head.

is there a possibilty to slow down the process?

 

i hope someone has an advice.


Note: This is not my Photo


Edited by amigastar - 2/2/14 at 3:42pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .