Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread - Page 365  

post #5461 of 8735

Not sure what you mean?  Starting with the Philips acquisition in 1955 it gets confusing as hell to me, but it sounds like they were an OEM for other tube brands ??

post #5462 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post


I guess my mailman owns a Lyr

I didn't realize "behind the orange curtain" was actually Dayton, OH ..... we must have the same mailman.   How many of the same tube does he need already?

post #5463 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post

I didn't realize "behind the orange curtain" was actually Dayton, OH ..... we must have the same mailman.   How many of the same tube does he need already?

Different color curtain

post #5464 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

Not sure what you mean?  Starting with the Philips acquisition in 1955 it gets confusing as hell to me, but it sounds like they were an OEM for other tube brands ??

 

 

 

PhilipsCodeListGOOD.pdf 100k .pdf file
post #5465 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

 

Maybe cut holes in piece of cardboard and overlay it on top if you're trying to gauge the glow?   I wouldn't leave it there permanently and mess up cooling though.   I bought some damping/cooling rings from the Brent Jesse site http://www.audiotubes.com/damper.htm - perhaps something like that situated on your tubes can help you isolate the tube glow from the LEDs. I haven't received them yet, nor do I buy into the voodoo claims regarding staging and separation enhancements, but I do have some slightly microphonic (but still awesome) tubes that I want to try damping.

 

 

Sorry, but that looks like junk to me.

 

Type" brass 1" compression ring " into Bing and have a look at the images. 

 

 

 

post #5466 of 8735

All About valve heat:

 

A single Philips ECC88 valve left on for 30 minutes registers 131 F measured through Fluke thermal couplers to a multimeter.

The specification for this tube's heater is 6.3V and 365 mA. Power calculation (P=EI) 2.3Watts  (Heater values are constant)

At a maximum operating voltage of 200V (anode) at 60mA I (anode) the valve produces 12W.

However,   The normal  operating range of this valve is  90V * 30mA is 2.7W

 

Thus at normal operating range,  2 valves put out a total of10 W.

 


Edited by Iamnothim - 2/22/13 at 9:02pm
post #5467 of 8735

 

What is that glow? Actually the blue glow is the ridiculous high output blue LED on my HDD left. Do NOT look directly into the light...

 

Hmm... Seems a bit bright to me.

 

 

Hey. What is that?

 

Holy Schiit! Supertubze!

 

...

 

 I for one, I'm disappointed that you guys didn't go all the way and tap into the signal path and trigger on the peaks.  tongue_smile.gif

post #5468 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post

I haven't see it mentioned... But Schiit put orange LEDs in the amp to enhance the tube glow. At least my brand new one has it. Its neat but... makes it harder to guage the actual glow output of the tube

I was reading the mjolnir(also has the orange lights) manual the other night and it said the orange lights are put there as a visual way to measure voltage to the channels. So if one is visually dimmer than the other, there might not be enough juice getting to one channel. Also they make the tubes look extra sweet, which is a plus.

If your having trouble deciphering the tube glow and the orange light below the socket savers will help

Nice pics! Btw
Edited by dailydoseofdaly - 2/23/13 at 8:05am
post #5469 of 8735

My Lorenz PCC88's came today, it sure takes a long time to swim here from Lithuania blink.gif

 

They are pretty good so far, going to roll with these a few days and give my $$ ones a vacation.

 

Staging is open, pretty lush sounding.   I like it, may have to buy another set.

post #5470 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

My Lorenz PCC88's came today, it sure takes a long time to swim here from Lithuania blink.gif

 

They are pretty good so far, going to roll with these a few days and give my $$ ones a vacation.

 

Staging is open, pretty lush sounding.   I like it, may have to buy another set.


WWOW...I still long time to wait..frown.gif

post #5471 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydoseofdaly View Post


I was reading the mjolnir(also has the orange lights) manual the other night and it said the orange lights are put there as a visual way to measure voltage to the channels. So if one is visually dimmer than the other, there might not be enough juice getting to one channel. Also they make the tubes look extra sweet, which is a plus.

If your having trouble deciphering the tube glow and the orange light below the socket savers will help

Nice pics! Btw

 

Ok, at least their functional. I mean I thought it was a bit funny to add tube glow for pure aesthetics.

post #5472 of 8735

I'm seriously considering buying a Lyr (going back and forth against a Music Hall 25.2 Amp). Are these suitable to be left "On" all the time or is that not done on a Tube amp? How long do the tubes last?

post #5473 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

I'm seriously considering buying a Lyr (going back and forth against a Music Hall 25.2 Amp). Are these suitable to be left "On" all the time or is that not done on a Tube amp? How long do the tubes last?

About 10,000 hours. But with vintage valves it could be 2,500.
I would turn it off.
EDIT: Valve life..... you just don't know. And that's the beauty !
Edited by Iamnothim - 2/23/13 at 7:16pm
post #5474 of 8735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnothim View Post


About 10,000 hours. But with vintage valves it could be 2,500.
I would turn it off.
EDIT: Valve life..... you just don't know. And that's the beauty !

Thanks. I'm rethinking my setup and I don't think it will have to remain "On"... 

post #5475 of 8735
Second day with the Lorenz PCC88s and I really love these tubes. For what they cost these are a real steal, and I am definitely getting a backup set now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread