Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread. - Page 204

post #3046 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

 

You need a toslink to mini plug cable. The mini plug end goes straight into the MBP's hp out. I found toslink to sound better (clarity and coherence) than usb on all the macs I've owned when employing the Bifrost/Gungnir for dac duties. Some may prefer the warmth and more intimate presentation of usb though.

 

This is not to state optical is superior to usb from an MBP. It's more reflective of Schiit's implementation. I greatly prefer usb feeding my NAD M51 over toslink from my MBP.

Cool, thanks. I guess what I'm getting at is whether it is worth the extra $100 for USB, heh. 

post #3047 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by traehekat View Post

Cool, thanks. I guess what I'm getting at is whether it is worth the extra $100 for USB, heh. 

If your computer has a decently designed optical out (ie. macs), you can rest assured and save that money. 

post #3048 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erukian View Post

If your computer has a decently designed optical out (ie. macs), you can rest assured and save that money. 

So I would need something like this? 

 

http://www.amazon.com/Toslink-Optical-Adapter-Cable-Macbook/dp/B0025W1FR8

post #3049 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by traehekat View Post

So I would need something like this? 

 

http://www.amazon.com/Toslink-Optical-Adapter-Cable-Macbook/dp/B0025W1FR8

Yup.

post #3050 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erukian View Post

If your computer has a decently designed optical out (ie. macs), you can rest assured and save that money. 

Quite the statement.

 

The design (ie that the optical out is shared with a 1/8 headphone jack) is certainly clever but the onboard sound chip is as cheap as possible. The Optical section only starts at the out jack and the rest of the signal (all internal signal path) is subject to all the horrors of a crammed design inside a lovely case.

 

On a Mac, if you're looking for the best possible output, USB is for sure the best option and well worth the $100 extra.

post #3051 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek997 View Post

Quite the statement.

 

The design (ie that the optical out is shared with a 1/8 headphone jack) is certainly clever but the onboard sound chip is as cheap as possible. The Optical section only starts at the out jack and the rest of the signal (all internal signal path) is subject to all the horrors of a crammed design inside a lovely case.

 

On a Mac, if you're looking for the best possible output, USB is for sure the best option and well worth the $100 extra.

I think it clearly needs to be stated that it comes down to the implementation of the DAC.

 

Per Schiit, USB never sounded comparable to optical.

post #3052 of 3320

I agree that optical out of a purpose built CD player (with emi considerations built in) will likely sound better than the computer version via usb. However, I still think that USB from a Mac is the way to go.

post #3053 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

I think it clearly needs to be stated that it comes down to the implementation of the DAC.

 

Per Schiit, USB never sounded comparable to optical.

+1

 

Same thing I was told when I spoke with Jason.


Edited by Erukian - 3/2/13 at 11:54am
post #3054 of 3320

So it seems the consensus is that if you are going to be using the Bifrost with a MacBook Pro you should spring for the USB version. 

post #3055 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by traehekat View Post

So it seems the consensus is that if you are going to be using the Bifrost with a MacBook Pro you should spring for the USB version. 

No. tongue.gif

post #3056 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

No. tongue.gif

Ha, well someone tell me what to do then!

post #3057 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by traehekat View Post

Ha, well someone tell me what to do then!

Just use coax and forget all about USB or optical. etysmile.gif

 

OR

 

Just spend the extra $ and test 'em out for yourself. This way in the future you'll know what input you prefer.

post #3058 of 3320

That's the truth of it traehekat; as definitive as some like to be on the subject, some prefer USB in their chain, others optical/Coax. The actual performance of either in your chain is subject to an assortment of variables so anyone's definitive statement can only apply to their chain, and their ears. Try what you can. Decide what you like.

post #3059 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterrogers View Post

That's the truth of it traehekat; as definitive as some like to be on the subject, some prefer USB in their chain, others optical/Coax. The actual performance of either in your chain is subject to an assortment of variables so anyone's definitive statement can only apply to their chain, and their ears. Try what you can. Decide what you like.

Best and truest concise statement I've read on this topic.
post #3060 of 3320

Its just me or the Bifrost is not compatible with wasapi event style in Jriver?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.