Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › You know you're an audiophile when...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

You know you're an audiophile when... - Page 399  

post #5971 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

Don't use onboard soundcards, motherboards have a LOT of EMI bouncing around which leads to lots of noise on the signal. I'd suggest getting something like an HT OMEGA Claro Halo and using the optical port on it to an external DAC.

Noise and EMI... That's why I got a FiiO E10. No more noise atsmile.gif

post #5972 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundPon3 View Post

I just got a FiiO E10 the other day and my dad asked me how much is cost. I told him the price and how the E10 is almost a steal at what I got it for and he said "That's a lot of money for something that you don't need. You can just plug it in to your computer. Stop wasting money"

Thanks for the encouragement, Dad 

 

And when I got him to trial my rig with an FLAC rip of Queen's Greatest hits he just had a huge grin on his face confused.gif

Yeah, I deal with that a lot with my family. My parents basically suggest that I use a $10 Walmart MP3 player and stock headphones. Probably just going to order extra tips for my TF10s and let them try.

post #5973 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender323 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundPon3 View Post

I just got a FiiO E10 the other day and my dad asked me how much is cost. I told him the price and how the E10 is almost a steal at what I got it for and he said "That's a lot of money for something that you don't need. You can just plug it in to your computer. Stop wasting money"

Thanks for the encouragement, Dad 

 

And when I got him to trial my rig with an FLAC rip of Queen's Greatest hits he just had a huge grin on his face confused.gif

Yeah, I deal with that a lot with my family. My parents basically suggest that I use a $10 Walmart MP3 player and stock headphones. Probably just going to order extra tips for my TF10s and let them try.

I try to make some "compromises" with the family as well. Spend $300 on headphones, another $300 on an external DAC and amp for my home setup....and then a mere $40 on a Sansa Clip Zip instead of getting an iPod. tongue_smile.gif

post #5974 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

I like Music Bee personally. Foobar is kinda ugly.

Doesn't matter that much once you find a skin for it that you like. I thought stock it was ugly too...then again, I have that problem with a lot of things. I was a bit horrified by stock Windows Vista and 7 because of Aero Glass and the giant start orb, so I got into 3rd party themes and replacing the start button. I just decided to move to a new desktop style the other day. Unfortunately it's a bit incomplete since the Jelly Bar (and Jelly Bar 2.0) skin for Rainmeter, which is the Android home, back, and...not sure what that third button does but the navigation buttons basically. But yeah, inspired by Android Jelly Bean 4.1 and 4.2 and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0. But yeah, you can make Foobar sort of look like whatever you want. Example below (this is the 3rd party skin I use on my laptop).

 

 

 

 

It's not that difficult to do IMO. It's just downloading the files for your skin (creators usually include everything in one folder) and copy them to the correct places in the Foobar2000 folder in the Program Files directory (C:\Program Files\foobar2000). Well, I'm used to moving files around into the directories because of experimenting with 3rd party Windows 7 visual styles/themes(not all that advised for beginners). Just make a System Restore point before you try in case anything goes wrong (with foobar, if you mess up, you just have to reinstall foobar).

post #5975 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

I like Music Bee personally. Foobar is kinda ugly.

Doesn't matter that much once you find a skin for it that you like. I thought stock it was ugly too...then again, I have that problem with a lot of things. I was a bit horrified by stock Windows Vista and 7 because of Aero Glass and the giant start orb, so I got into 3rd party themes and replacing the start button. I just decided to move to a new desktop style the other day. Unfortunately it's a bit incomplete since the Jelly Bar (and Jelly Bar 2.0) skin for Rainmeter, which is the Android home, back, and...not sure what that third button does but the navigation buttons basically. But yeah, inspired by Android Jelly Bean 4.1 and 4.2 and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0. But yeah, you can make Foobar sort of look like whatever you want. Example below (this is the 3rd party skin I use on my laptop).

 

 

 

 

It's not that difficult to do IMO. It's just downloading the files for your skin (creators usually include everything in one folder) and copy them to the correct places in the Foobar2000 folder in the Program Files directory (C:\Program Files\foobar2000). Well, I'm used to moving files around into the directories because of experimenting with 3rd party Windows 7 visual styles/themes(not all that advised for beginners). Just make a System Restore point before you try in case anything goes wrong (with foobar, if you mess up, you just have to reinstall foobar).

Where can I find skins for both FooBar and Windows 7??

post #5976 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender323 View Post

Yeah, I deal with that a lot with my family. My parents basically suggest that I use a $10 Walmart MP3 player and stock headphones. Probably just going to order extra tips for my TF10s and let them try.

Funny thing is my Dad has no problem spending a lot of money for a guitar.... Even if it's rare, sounds and looks awesome, $3K is too much IMHO when it's only going to be played privately (he has guitars for stage) but then again I have some pretty darn expensive PA speakers....


Edited by SoundPon3 - 1/20/13 at 3:06pm
post #5977 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

I like Music Bee personally. Foobar is kinda ugly.

Doesn't matter that much once you find a skin for it that you like. I thought stock it was ugly too...then again, I have that problem with a lot of things. I was a bit horrified by stock Windows Vista and 7 because of Aero Glass and the giant start orb, so I got into 3rd party themes and replacing the start button. I just decided to move to a new desktop style the other day. Unfortunately it's a bit incomplete since the Jelly Bar (and Jelly Bar 2.0) skin for Rainmeter, which is the Android home, back, and...not sure what that third button does but the navigation buttons basically. But yeah, inspired by Android Jelly Bean 4.1 and 4.2 and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0. But yeah, you can make Foobar sort of look like whatever you want. Example below (this is the 3rd party skin I use on my laptop).

 

 

 

 

It's not that difficult to do IMO. It's just downloading the files for your skin (creators usually include everything in one folder) and copy them to the correct places in the Foobar2000 folder in the Program Files directory (C:\Program Files\foobar2000). Well, I'm used to moving files around into the directories because of experimenting with 3rd party Windows 7 visual styles/themes(not all that advised for beginners). Just make a System Restore point before you try in case anything goes wrong (with foobar, if you mess up, you just have to reinstall foobar).

WOAH, that is one really hecka nice skin! It has a Zune/Windows Phone/Windows 8 interface kind of look to it.

post #5978 of 6356

my parents HATE my audio escapade. It was SO hard to convince them to let me get Grado's, and even then, they wouldnt let me get a DAC. They go on a personal cruise every year that costs thousands, but they cant justify audio stuff.

post #5979 of 6356

That's one of the saddest things I've ever heard.  (sniff)

 

 

tongue.gif

post #5980 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

That's one of the saddest things I've ever heard.  (sniff)

 

 

tongue.gif

tongue_smile.gif

post #5981 of 6356

@Hybrid - are you running Linux?  Looks a lot like a conky monitor on the side .....

post #5982 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

@Hybrid - are you running Linux?  Looks a lot like a conky monitor on the side .....

It's the default monitors that come with rainmeter.

 

Speaking of Linux

http://www.ap-linux.com/

post #5983 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parall3l View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

@Hybrid - are you running Linux?  Looks a lot like a conky monitor on the side .....

It's the default monitors that come with rainmeter.

 

Speaking of Linux

http://www.ap-linux.com/

HO snap! I'll have to give that a try when I get the time. This sounds promising. basshead.gif

 

You know you're an audiophile when the operating system you use was built by audiophiles.

Quote:
Audiophile Linux is the operating system optimized for high quality digital audio reproduction. Created by audiophiles for the audiophiles
post #5984 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parall3l View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

@Hybrid - are you running Linux?  Looks a lot like a conky monitor on the side .....

It's the default monitors that come with rainmeter.

 

Speaking of Linux

http://www.ap-linux.com/

HO snap! I'll have to give that a try when I get the time. This sounds promising. basshead.gif

 

You know you're an audiophile when the operating system you use was built by audiophiles.

Quote:
Audiophile Linux is the operating system optimized for high quality digital audio reproduction. Created by audiophiles for the audiophiles

Anybody know where I can get a skin for Windows 7 and FooBar 2000?

post #5985 of 6356
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Anybody know where I can get a skin for Windows 7 and FooBar 2000?

Have you googled it?  This was the second result:

 

http://www.last.fm/group/Foobar+Users/forum/45322/_/584372

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › You know you're an audiophile when...