Note to newcomers: This thread has been around for quite awhile. If you want to be 'up to date' I'd probably look at the last 10 pages or so.
I swear if I ever see stupid genre arguments in this thread I'm going to flip.
100 BPM - Glitch Hop, Mid-Tempo Dubstep
110 BPM - Moombahton
128 BPM - Electro House
140 BPM - Dubstep
175 BPM - Drum & Bass (Half-Time DnB or Drumstep is at 87ish)
These are just rough tempo estimates, everything isn't exactly like that. I didn't include Trance or House either, I don't listen to them.
Now, to only give you a BPM guide wouldn't be very helpful. So I'll give some small descriptions on each genre.
Glitch Hop is usually pretty dark stuff, but it doesn't have to be. It has hip-hop roots I believe, it's a solid genre. Mid-tempo dubstep is very similar.
Examples: The Glitch Mob, Cryptex, Opiuo, KOAN Sound, Pretty Lights, Culprate, ill. Gates
Electro House is basically dirty house music, it's more intense and more fun in my opinion. It's very popular in clubs etc, Moombahton is basically a slowed down version, it's very bouncy and energetic.
Examples: Zedd, Porter Robinson, Feed Me, The M Machine, Knife Party, Dillon Francis (Moombahton)
Dubstep has just started to gain a ton of popularity. It's been around for a little over 10 years and was originally influenced by Dub and Garage music. Now it ranges from minimal deep stuff to insane electro influenced music (some people call it Brostep). In between is chillstep, and there's also the really heavy stuff as well. I apologize for saying stuff so much.
Examples (Deeper): Truth, Reso, Biome, Skream, Distance
Examples (brosteppy): Skrillex, Kill The Noise, Datsik, Flux Pavilion
Examples (chillstep + in between): Gemini, Nero, Chasing Shadows, Emalkay, Numbernin6
Examples (heavy/filthy): Trolley Snatcha, Funtcase, Torqux, Tim Ismag
Last but definitely not least is DnB. DnB and dubstep are my two favorite genres, dubstep takes a lot of influence from DnB. The genre is fast paced, complex, and amazing. It spans from liquid smooth (Liquid) to dark and erratic (neurofunk). There is also some in between, as well as half time DnB (drumstep).
Examples: Camo & Krooked, Chase & Status, Shockone, Dirtyphonics, High Maintenance
Examples (Liquid): Netsky, Logistics, Rollz, Hybrid Minds, High Contrast, SPY, Brookes Brothers
Examples (neurofunk): Noisia, Spor, Xilent, Evol Intent
Examples (drumstep): Terravita, Tantrum Desire, Figure
So, I figured I'd start this thread. There's a music recommendation thread up, but I've noticed most of it isn't in the vein of music I'm looking for.
My life pretty much revolves around the latest releases in Drum n Bass, Electro House, Hardcore, Trance, Dance, etc. I'm always on the hunt for new music.
If you're new to the EDM scene these albums are a great place to start.
Artist/Album/Genre (Update 2/11/12)
[I try to keep this list balanced between as many genres as I can. Try them out and then ask for more of what you enjoyed]
- Blackmill / Miracle / Dubstep
- Skream / Skream / Dubstep
- Feint / Clockwork Hearts EP / Drum n Bass
- Metrik / The Departure / Drum n Bass
- Camo & Krooked / Cross the Line / Drum n Bass
- Moby / Destroyed / Downtempo
- Porter Robinson / Spitfire EP / Electro House
- BT / These Hopeful Machines / Trance & Glitch
- Crystal Method / Vegas / Big Beat
- Pendulum / Immersion / Drum n Bass
- Feed Me / Feed Me's Big Adventure / Electro House
- Logistics / Now More Than Ever / Drum n Bass
- NOISIA / Split the Atom / Drum n Bass
- Deadmau5 / 4x4=12 / Electro House
- Dub FX / Everythinks a Ripple / Experimental Hip-Hop
- Netsky / Netsky / Drum n Bass
- PPK / Russian Trance Formation / Trance
- Glitch Mob / Drink the Sea / Glitch
- Pretty Lights / Making Up a Changing Mind / Glitch
- Gemini / Graduation EP / Dubstep
- KOAN Sound / Funk Blaster EP / Dubstep
- Burial / Untrue / Downtempo Dubstep
- Spor / Supernova EP / Drum n Bass
- BT / This Binary Universe / Downtempo
Edited by MorbidToaster - 10/22/12 at 2:39pm