Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions? - Page 156

post #2326 of 2387

Essentially, the two DAC's are very close. The BiFrost future proof you if Schiit ever comes out with a new USB card. So, if used DLIII+sound card should be pretty close to a new BiFrost, In that case, get the BiFrost.  I won't even get into the DLIII up sampling. If you're a purist, bits in = bits out, then BiFrost.  The DLIII processes to a minimum 96K. We could go on an on and debate pure bits versus up sampling, neutral versus a little warn but in the end, if there's <$100 difference, I'd do the Bifrost.  Don't get me wrong, I'm keeping my DLIII in my main system and would love it in my desktop system, but in the end, for anything <= CD quality, there's probably not much of a difference.  I have some 24/96 from HDTracks and am really not all that impressed.. i.e. no huge improvement (but that's just me). I already talked about the minor differences in SQ. You could tune with tubes on the Lyr and realize much more of a difference. Whew!blink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lja1125 View Post

Bifrost is $450 with usb, and DLIII is $500 new one, and used one is around $400. As you know, DLIII usb isn't as good as Bifrost usb. The problem is my computer doesn't have SPDIF output, so i have to buy sound card if i'd get DLIII. Setting DLIII with sound card should support SPDIF is better sound than Bifrost???  Choosing DAC drives me crazy!!!!

post #2327 of 2387

Am I crazy?

 

Recently I've purchased the Lyr, Bifrost and HE-500 combo and it sounds amazing! But I decided to plug the HE-500's into an old Technics SU-G50 (not speaker taps the 1/4 headphone out) which is connected to my pc out of my motherboards 3.5mm line-out. Surprise surprise I can almost hear no discernible difference between the Lyr + Bifrost and the Technics coming from an Intel motherboard.

 

My question is is there a possibility the Lyr and Bifrost isn't working correctly? which I doubt.

 

Should I be disappointed with the Schiit combo or really really impressed at how good the Technics amp sounds? Im sort of shocked at the moment.

post #2328 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzik View Post

Am I crazy?

Recently I've purchased the Lyr, Bifrost and HE-500 combo and it sounds amazing! But I decided to plug the HE-500's into an old Technics SU-G50 (not speaker taps the 1/4 headphone out) which is connected to my pc out of my motherboards 3.5mm line-out. Surprise surprise I can almost hear no discernible difference between the Lyr + Bifrost and the Technics coming from an Intel motherboard.

My question is is there a possibility the Lyr and Bifrost isn't working correctly? which I doubt.

Should I be disappointed with the Schiit combo or really really impressed at how good the Technics amp sounds? Im sort of shocked at the moment.

There have been many that have found out just how good old gear sounds. You really ought to try the speaker taps of a quality amp. This is not intended to be a negative to the Schiit products but there are options that may be in the basement, garage or storage that allows investment in other areas of the chain.
post #2329 of 2387

Anyone has experience LYR + HF-2 or grado cans???

post #2330 of 2387

Lyr+RS2i here.  Drives great, but is prone to pick up on any tube that's the slightest bit noisy or hissy.  With the Bifrost as my DAC, I find the mid 60s Mullards to warm up the sound despite Grado's signature treble bump.  Currently using Amperex USN-CEP 7308's which while not quite as warm seem to resolve a pinch better and keep the low end extension.

 

Your mileage may vary depending on what source you're using (as someone keeps saying, the qualities in the tubes you would look for depend on your whole chain).

 

Not sure about the other tubes available for the Lyr, but the JJ E88CC's that came with mine have a high noise floor (i.e. much background hiss even with volume at zero).  The Russian 6N1P-EB was my first step that knocked the hiss down to tolerable and was cheap enough, but one of the other stock tubes may work as well.  Going third-party NOS tubes can add incremental, but significant improvement to the sound.


Edited by SeaHawk - 9/20/12 at 11:35am
post #2331 of 2387

another question!!!!!

 

Have you guys used LYR as a preamp???

 

I'd like to connect PC - Bifrost - LYR - Swan M200MKIII.

 

Does it work good?? There is only one outputon Bifrost, so no way hook up bifrost and m200mkIII directly.

 

will they be good combo???

post #2332 of 2387

Anyone own the HE-400s with the Lyr? I know they don't need it like the h-6 but I know they could really use it. I have the asgard right now and am excited to see what the lyr has to offer with this and the 650s. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzik View Post

Recently I've purchased the Lyr, Bifrost and HE-500 combo and it sounds amazing! But I decided to plug the HE-500's into an old Technics SU-G50 (not speaker taps the 1/4 headphone out) which is connected to my pc out of my motherboards 3.5mm line-out. Surprise surprise I can almost hear no discernible difference between the Lyr + Bifrost and the Technics coming from an Intel motherboard.

 

Unless the headphone jack is connected to the main power source on there, the difference in at least the low-end should be clearly different.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

They are very different cans.  When I had the HD650, I pretty much split my time with them and the HE400. Now that the HD700 have broken in and lost it's edginess, the HE400 are not getting much love.

The HD700 are more airy, open and much less dark (they do have a bit of a dark side while maintaining great mids with sparkle.. not sure how to explain it). The HE400 sound dull relative to the Senns. 

 

Wow. I'm in the same boat right now and i've had my HE-400's and 650's for a few weeks now, out of the asgard the 400 is the winner but the 650 can do much more i'm sure. I also feel the 650's are a bit too dark. Obviously both are completely different headphones, but I find it interesting you like the 700's a lot more than the 400's. I thought people kind of dismissed them, or said the 650 was still better. Maybe it's just that the 800's are not that far off and possibly a lot better, but who cares.

 

Seeing that you like electronic/dance music and rock(similar tastes here), what do your 700's give you over the 400's? I assume you are liking the bass more on the 700's, I think the 400s are doing a great job so far though.  With my setup right now, the 650 feels like it shoves some instruments closer and passes over some details where ass the 400's present of it more evenly, do you find the 700's to be more accurate?

 

Sorry too many questions, this has just been tough to find out much with the lyr and the 400s.


Edited by RushNerd - 10/4/12 at 6:20pm
post #2333 of 2387

I found that the Lyr doesn't really come alive until you put some premium tubes in it. When I replaced my much-loved Mullards with some Telefunken E288cc's, the difference was comparable to changing the DAC in my system. The clarity increased dramatically, yet the warmth was still there (even moreso than with the Mullards). Don't write off the Lyr until you have tried some of the top-shelf tubes in it.

 

For the Senn and Hifiman owners, the Lyr has great synergy with those headphones, that gets even better with great tubes in it. Without premium tubes, it can be rather lackluster.

post #2334 of 2387

I don't think MickeyVee is going to find my reply lol.

post #2335 of 2387

Found your reply!!

Actually, the HD700 bass is tighter, deeper and faster than the HE400 (though with a little less impact).  The more I listen, the more I'm finding the HE400 bass a little flabby and loose. Now, add more detail and an open and airy sound, the HD700 is fabulous with electronic music.

Two of my favorite tracks with the HD700 are:  Ghosts 'n' Stuff [Nero ReMix] / Deadmau5 & All I Need Is You [w/ Sean Ryan] / ATB

I had planned to dedicate tonight to the HE400 and when these tracks came on, I had to go over to the HD700.

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushNerd View Post

 

Wow. I'm in the same boat right now and i've had my HE-400's and 650's for a few weeks now, out of the asgard the 400 is the winner but the 650 can do much more i'm sure. I also feel the 650's are a bit too dark. Obviously both are completely different headphones, but I find it interesting you like the 700's a lot more than the 400's. I thought people kind of dismissed them, or said the 650 was still better. Maybe it's just that the 800's are not that far off and possibly a lot better, but who cares.

 

Seeing that you like electronic/dance music and rock(similar tastes here), what do your 700's give you over the 400's? I assume you are liking the bass more on the 700's, I think the 400s are doing a great job so far though.  With my setup right now, the 650 feels like it shoves some instruments closer and passes over some details where ass the 400's present of it more evenly, do you find the 700's to be more accurate?

 

Sorry too many questions, this has just been tough to find out much with the lyr and the 400s.


Edited by MickeyVee - 10/5/12 at 7:44pm
post #2336 of 2387
I got to try this amp this past weekend, I have to say I was deeply unimpressed. It just did not sound musical, in fact it felt flat and uninvolving, it was a demo unit so I would assume it has a good number of hours on it. For me the sound was brittle and hard, very little pace rythm or timing. I compared it to my SR71-B in single ended mode with LCD2's. I also compared to the O2 amp and much prefered the O2 to it. It does look nice though and appears well made.
post #2337 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

I got to try this amp this past weekend, I have to say I was deeply unimpressed. It just did not sound musical, in fact it felt flat and uninvolving, it was a demo unit so I would assume it has a good number of hours on it. For me the sound was brittle and hard, very little pace rythm or timing. I compared it to my SR71-B in single ended mode with LCD2's. I also compared to the O2 amp and much prefered the O2 to it. It does look nice though and appears well made.

Hmmmmm.....what tubes are in the Lyr?  Your description sounds like the opposite of what I've heard and experienced with all the headphones I've used.  In my experience the Lyr has sounded musical, with lots of rhythm and drive, outstanding bass control and impact, and a pretty dynamic sound.  I've listened to my LCD-2s on both my Lyr and my dad's WA22, and while the WA22 has a slight upper hand on transparency and soundstage, the Lyr still has better drive and bass impact.  I'd suggest swapping tubes or asking for another demo unit, as that one may be defective. 

post #2338 of 2387
It had the stock tubes I believe. It had been switched on and music playing through it for around an hour. I was surprised as I have seen all the positive comments here. It sounded nothing like a tube amp. The files were FLAC, from a laptop going through the Schiit DAC.
post #2339 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

It had the stock tubes I believe. It had been switched on and music playing through it for around an hour. I was surprised as I have seen all the positive comments here. It sounded nothing like a tube amp. The files were FLAC, from a laptop going through the Schiit DAC.

Lyr is a very flat amp with stock tubes. It's funny actually. Throw some good tubes in and it transforms into a nice little amp.

post #2340 of 2387
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Lyr is a very flat amp with stock tubes. It's funny actually. Throw some good tubes in and it transforms into a nice little amp.

Thats it! Flat is exactly what it felt to me, just goes to show how important tubes are, I wonder why they don't ship them with more musical tubes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?