or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information) - Page 82

post #1216 of 4815

Hey Joe, is the Rooth LS-5x a hybrid BA/DD IEM? I can't read Chinese!

post #1217 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSC View Post

Hey Joe, is the Rooth LS-5x a hybrid BA/DD IEM? I can't read Chinese!


Yep, just like the Merlin, it is a dynamic with 4 BAs.  

 

post #1218 of 4815

Yes I am only using GameAmp. Now HM801 has stopped its production which makes me enjoy it more lol.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostIK View Post


Do you have GameAmp?

 


Thank you very much joe.  Yeah you probably right. The oldest album I have is Talking book. Most of my songs are between 1990- 2010.  But I do love the warmth of the HM801.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 

 


First, the GAME card makes a big difference for me as it is much more spacious and 3D with better dynamics, imaging, and clarity.

 

Now a stock 801, vs. a Rockboxed Clip+ still results in a good deal of difference in the size and depth of the presentation as well as the bass and control.  Everything else flows from that for me, which is better definition of everything within the space, better clarity, transparency, etc.  What type of music are you listening to, as I have many FLAC tracks that are just poorly mastered and don't sound very good regardless of the bitrate.  Mostly newer music, but also 80 and 90s pop can have issues.

 

One thing the 5-way does better than anything else I have by a good amount is resolve detail I didn't even know was there with lower end sources.



 

post #1219 of 4815

Joe, do you have any plans getting the Rooth LS8+

post #1220 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

First, the GAME card makes a big difference for me as it is much more spacious and 3D with better dynamics, imaging, and clarity.

 

Now a stock 801, vs. a Rockboxed Clip+ still results in a good deal of difference in the size and depth of the presentation as well as the bass and control.  Everything else flows from that for me, which is better definition of everything within the space, better clarity, transparency, etc.  What type of music are you listening to, as I have many FLAC tracks that are just poorly mastered and don't sound very good regardless of the bitrate.  Mostly newer music, but also 80 and 90s pop can have issues.

 

One thing the 5-way does better than anything else I have by a good amount is resolve detail I didn't even know was there with lower end sources.


Totally agree with your comment.

 

Let me give a couple of examples of Clip Zip vs 801 comparison.

 

The track 03.Radio Bombay from Hol Baumann - 2008 - Human.

801 sounds wider. Bass is deeper. Sound is clearer. Separation is of instruments is better.

 

The track 08.Yvan, Boris et moi from Marie Laforêt 2002 La fille aux yeux d'or CD1.

801 - vocal is more beautiful. The sound is much clearer.

 

The track 02.Devil Baby from Mark Knopfler 2002 The Ragpicker's Dream.

801 builds very 3D sound. Clip Zip sounds flat. 801 sounds more smoothly. Clip Zip prominences to the middle.

 

post #1221 of 4815

Joe, I saw your SE5 that Grzegorz posted on facebook two weeks ago - outstanding! lovey clear shell packed with unknown amount of wires :D

BTW. I didn't know |joker| got 3way, looking forward to read his impressions http://pl-pl.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=326357597400099&set=a.326355870733605.68644.153613854674475&type=3&theater

post #1222 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini0510 View Post

Joe, do you have any plans getting the Rooth LS8+


While I would like to hear/review everything, not at this time.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostIK View Post

Totally agree with your comment.

 

Let me give a couple of examples of Clip Zip vs 801 comparison.

 

The track 03.Radio Bombay from Hol Baumann - 2008 - Human.

801 sounds wider. Bass is deeper. Sound is clearer. Separation is of instruments is better.

 

The track 08.Yvan, Boris et moi from Marie Laforêt 2002 La fille aux yeux d'or CD1.

801 - vocal is more beautiful. The sound is much clearer.

 

The track 02.Devil Baby from Mark Knopfler 2002 The Ragpicker's Dream.

801 builds very 3D sound. Clip Zip sounds flat. 801 sounds more smoothly. Clip Zip prominences to the middle.


While the 801 might not offer much improvement for lower end IEMs, the more an IEM can resolve, the bigger the difference that and lower end sources.

 

And thanks for sharing some examples.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus-g View Post

Joe, I saw your SE5 that Grzegorz posted on facebook two weeks ago - outstanding! lovey clear shell packed with unknown amount of wires :D

BTW. I didn't know |joker| got 3way, looking forward to read his impressions http://pl-pl.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=326357597400099&set=a.326355870733605.68644.153613854674475&type=3&theater


Yes, and still waiting the shipment from the cutoff.  I too am looking forward to his impressions.

post #1223 of 4815
Thread Starter 

ACS T1 Live! review posted and first post in this thread updated.

post #1224 of 4815

Another thumbs up for a wonderful review.

 

If you like a darker, thicker presentation and/or are very treble sensitive, the EM3 Pro is the way to go, but if you want a cleaner, clearer presentation, the T1 Live! is it.  I can see both being used on stage for various reason, as the EM3 recreates ambiance and has treble that is completely non-fatiguing, but the T1 does is better for those that want to hear and easily recognize specific details while still having the warmth and laid back treble that is also non-fatiguing.

 

And makes me more interested with the Clip+ (5/10 vs 801's 6.5/10) biggrin.gif Is your Clip+ RockBoxed?

 

It's pretty busy inside the ACS T1 Live cool.gif

post #1225 of 4815
Thread Starter 

Thank you!

 

That last sentence doesn't read right, so I changed it (I guess I missed that in my proofing):

"If you like a darker, thicker presentation and/or are very treble sensitive, the EM3 Pro is the way to go, but if you want a cleaner, clearer presentation, the T1 Live! is it.  I can see both being used on stage for various reason, as the EM3 recreates ambiance and has treble that is completely non-fatiguing, but what the T1 Live! does is reproduce more instrument detail, in an easier to recognize way while still having the warmth and non-fatiguing treble."

 

Yes, my Clip+ is rockboxed.  The reason for the small score discrepancy is that the 801 (with GAME card) doesn't have great clarity with the T1 Live!, more than likely due to the warmer presentation, and the improvement in 3D presentation isn't too large.  The biggest improvement is in the detail level.  If you prefer the thicker presentation, then the 801 can be good for you, but it is hard for me to justify the price difference in this case.

 

post #1226 of 4815
Thread Starter 

There are some exciting things going on over at Starkey Norway.  The most interesting IMO is their binaural recording system, which comes in 4 flavors, the B-1, B-2, B-10, and B-20.  

 

Starkey B-1.jpg Starkey B-20.jpg Starkey B-20 binaural.jpg Starkey B-20 binaural - phantom power kit.jpg B-20 & Zoom H4n.jpg binaural - phantom power kit.jpg

Pictures (from left to right): B-1, B-20, B-20, B-20 with phantom power kit, B-20 with phantom power kit and Zoom H4n, phantom power kit

 

The B-1 and B-10 use the cost effective electret mic, termed Nature, with a 50-20,000 Hz response while the high end Sennheiser electret condenser mic is used in the B-2 and B-20 with a 20-20,000 Hz response.  The B-1 and B-2 use vented shells so the user can still hear their surroundings while the B-10 and B-20 have a built in dual BA for live monitoring.  

 

If you go to live shows, you can wear one of these and get a great binaural recording so you can relive the experience and see just how close your equipment can come to the real thing.  Since it is in your ears, it will have your HRTF for the best playback for you!  I used to go to plenty of concerts and small gigs; this would be perfect to get some amazing high quality bootlegs for later enjoyment.  All versions will be offered with jack connectors for plug-in power, and an optional phantom power adapter with balanced XLR connectors for use with Semi-/Pro equipment.  

 

This can also be used for stage monitoring, retaining direction sense and controlling how much of the outside ambiance is added to the mix.  Pricing is still TBD. 

 

canal detachable over the ear 2.jpg canal detachable over the ear 3.jpg canal detachable over the ear.jpg detachable cord 3.jpg detachable cord 2.jpg detachable cord.jpg

 

I have been using my SA-12 for working out for quite some time now and it works great.  I didn't want a full custom shell in my ear during my workouts, so the SA-12 is inconspicuous and sounds great from my Clip during my workouts.  My cable is holding up extremely well, other than the oxidation.  But, if you are concerned about the cable, Starkey now offers a detachable cable option for the SA-12.  The cable can be made to hang down or up, but in the up configuration Alf said when the cable is up, it will stick out a bit before going over the ear and cable down can cause seal issues if pulled, which is why I wear my other canal CIEM that was made for cable down, the Fabs, with the cable over my ears!

 

HF-2 handsfree black.jpg HF-2 handsfree white.jpg

 

And, the HF-2 has been available for a little bit of time now, which is a canal custom IEM with a mic/remote for phones. You can select what phone pinout you need and Starkey will get you the correct pinout.  The HF-2 has a much lower cost than the SA-12 at NOK 1490 (intro price) which is about $266 USD.  The HF-2 doesn't use as complex of a crossover and doesn't have the silicone fill of the shell, but still retains the Starkey sound and quality wise isn't too far off the SA-12 according to Alf.  Cable changes are NOK 300, NOK 240 without tax.


Edited by average_joe - 3/11/12 at 8:50am
post #1227 of 4815

-updates about my weird experience with mine t1L

i think something were wrong at the start...i aint too sure what went wrong, but the left side's bass drive got busted within the first week 

but ACS will get it back to me soon , so i will get to see if its sounding more like everyone else :D

 

and Joe, thanks for your review  :D

 

btw, these stuff from norway looks cool:P

post #1228 of 4815

The HF-2 looks very interesting, at least for my needs.

post #1229 of 4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal View Post

The HF-2 looks very interesting, at least for my needs.



personally,I find the clear shell without silicone filled looks better :D

post #1230 of 4815
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remielsum View Post

-updates about my weird experience with mine t1L

i think something were wrong at the start...i aint too sure what went wrong, but the left side's bass drive got busted within the first week 

but ACS will get it back to me soon , so i will get to see if its sounding more like everyone else :D

 

and Joe, thanks for your review  :D

 

btw, these stuff from norway looks cool:P


OK, makes sense that there was something wrong, I hope when you get them back they perform well for you as they have such a nice, natural and realistic tone to them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal View Post

The HF-2 looks very interesting, at least for my needs.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remielsum View Post

personally,I find the clear shell without silicone filled looks better :D


Yes, the HF-2 does look very interesting, and the price seems to be right.  The sound signature of the Starkey products I have is, like the ACS T1 (although different), natural vs. on the brighter side like the LS8 and JH16.  So if the HF-2 is similar, which I don't see why it wouldn't be, then should be nice.

 

The silicone fill in my units is not typical now as Starkey figured out how to do the silicone fill without the bubbles.  You can barely tell there is a fill with the new fill technique.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)